A Tent For Your Generator

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
They say not to run generators in the rain, but whenever we need our home genny, it's due to a storm and it's raining or snowing. I've tried putting a piece of plywood on top with a brick, but it often vibrates off. Then we found a product called Gen Tent. www.gentent.com
Made in the USA in NH from marine grade vinyl. It attached easily to our Briggs and Stratton Storm Responder. It held up in all the wind we had. Trees fell. Flashing blew off the house, but this cover didn't budge. Customer service was awesome, too. We found and ordered late last week, not expecting it for this storm. Mark (who I think is the owner) contacted us and said he'd expedited shipping for us at no extra charge, so we'd receive it on Saturday, in time for Sandy. Wonderful!
Just an option if you're looking to protect your generator in the rain/snow.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
kubricky;258768 wrote: wow...200 bucks? And Yamaha isn't even listed...
He's working on one for the inverters. Yeah, pricey, but I figure it's better than shorting out the electrical panel on my genny when I need it most. YMMV.

andykurz

I take a sheet of plywood (usually a small leftover piece, and sit it on top. Then put a rock on top to hold it down. It overhangs the panel by ~ 20 inches? WOrks great.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
andykurz;258830 wrote: I take a sheet of plywood (usually a small leftover piece, and sit it on top. Then put a rock on top to hold it down. It overhangs the panel by ~ 20 inches? WOrks great.
Mine must shake more than yours, LOL. Mine would always vibrate off.

junglelogic

For $200 I could build a covered deck, or some kind of generator/doghouse, that is insulated and has an intake and exhaust so sound wouldn't be so loud while it is operating. And it could also withstand all types of weather. Maybe even make it have pontoons on there so it could float. You can get a full sized canopy for $100. I have to check this thing out.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
joe81;258914 wrote: Doesn't look like it would work so well in hurricane winds/rain
As I said in my first post, it didn't budge during Sandy. I had trees fall and flashing torn off the house, but that cover didn't move. Check the videos on the website taken during Irene. Sure, there's cheaper solutions, but this works well for me. I don't have a spot to build a shelter for my genny.

joe81

HondaGalToo;258922 wrote: As I said in my first post, it didn't budge during Sandy. I had trees fall and flashing torn off the house, but that cover didn't move. Check the videos on the website taken during Irene. Sure, there's cheaper solutions, but this works well for me. I don't have a spot to build a shelter for my genny.
I was referring to it getting soaked.. I'd build something myself, but glad it worked out for you.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
joe81;258923 wrote: I was referring to it getting soaked.. I'd build something myself, but glad it worked out for you.
The skirt kept the electrical panel completely dry, and the top of the genny was also completely dry. obviously the entire thing can't be covered. I think it did a good job. Hey, whatever works for everyone. Just threw it out there as an option.:)