Adjustable rearsets knee down question

DaveK22

Mikey75702;n593444 wrote:

Ideally you would want your rearsets up (and probably back) as far as comfortable. You need to make sure that they are high enough to not interfere when at full lean, but you dont want them so high that they are uncomfortable either. If you like the stock rearsets, leave them for a while. They will be fine, if you have adjustable ones, take the time and try out at every position you can put them in. Heck, once you pick a position, you may even go back and change them after a while. I rode with mine all the way up and back all through B group, then as my body position got better I felt like I never could quite lock into the tank properly. I moved my rearsets forward an inch, and was surprised at how much of a difference it made.
Thanks Mikey for the great input. My new rearsets have 4 peg positions & I currently set them to the lowest, most rear position (the next forward position, raises the pegs even more slightly). That position of lowest/most rear, is still about 2" higher & 1 1/4" further back than the stock peg position. I'll just keep them there for now and focus on body positioning.

Dylan Code

To answer your question regarding the rear sets, usually a low and forward position of the pegs puts your knee further from the ground. Think less bend of the knee. Pegs high and back would, depending on the bike and rider's body shape, put the knee closer to the ground for a similar position on the bike as it is bent more. Too much can be uncomfortable though. An extreme example of this position would be a GP bike such as a 125 GP, Moriwaki, or 250 GP bike, all of which I have ridden.

Poor fitting leathers that inhibit range of motion make knee dragging very difficult or uncomfortable.

Dragging a knee is like a cat using his whiskers to feel his way through tight/dark spaces, or Olympic short track skaters gliding their fingers across the ice in the corners. It can inspire confidence to have the knee skip here and there, but leaving it down to grind away does not serve much of a purpose.

Good corners to practice are medium speed sweeping "carousel" type turns, though others have success in all sorts of turns.

noobinacan

Dylan Code;n593478 wrote: ...
Dragging a knee is like a cat using his whiskers to feel his way through tight/dark spaces, or Olympic short track skaters gliding their fingers across the ice in the corners. It can inspire confidence to have the knee skip here and there, but leaving it down to grind away does not serve much of a purpose.
it does man..you get a box full of worn out knee pucks!!! :)
what's wrong with you :D

great post!

kcor

Kris
First day I got my knee down in the third session... By the fifth session I had the whole bike down. Cautionary tale in support of this not being priority one :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
I've been an A group rider for many years...I rarely "ride" on my knee...It's more a feeler gauge for judging lean angle.....either that or being so old I just can't bend that sucker out there! :)