Adjusting Suspension

Scb762

If my riding scares you, just imagine how I feel
Hope everyone’s winter projects are coming along well! I’ve been slowly building my sv650 track bike. I’ll be running OEM forks with springs and fluid and i bought a brand new penske rear shock from MRP (the rear shock was my buy once cry once purchase)

Anyhow, do you know of any good resources to learn how to adjust suspension?

I tried Dave Moss tuning and found that not to be very informative. All he does is show videos of him adjusting peoples’ suspension and never shows what tire pressure vs suspension wear looks like…

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Where are you located?
Kendall with TTT set up my FZ and did a fine job.
Jim at Maxspeed can help too.
Often, there are suspension folks at track days, just go chat with them there.

Scb762

I have a local performance shop that can set it up. But that does me no-good at the track when you’re, basically, your own crew chief/pit crew, etc. I’m looking to get a solid understanding of how to make adjustments, so that I can confidently make them on the fly without someone holding my hand

bmart

Control Rider
A few things to consider:
1-Do it when the bike is warm (chassis, suspension, wheels, frame...warm/hot)
2-Do it with all of your gear on and with you in the riding position
3-I'd start with street sag #s. You'll likely want to go tighter as you go faster, but even I like mine a little more loose than most. 35mm rider sag in front and 30mm rider sag in rear. That should drive ~20-24mm bike sag in front and 8-10mm bike sag in rear, if your spring rates are correct.
4-Ballpark is ~1 second for compression damping and 2 seconds for rebound. These are very rough numbers, but they'll get you in the ballpark and you'll be safe on it.
5-Get help from folks at the track. I've done countless setups for folks as have many of the other staffmembers and on site suspension people.

Scb762

Thanks! I’ll definitely pick some brains at the track

tdelegram

Control Rider
Thanks! I’ll definitely pick some brains at the track
Always have a baseline so you know where you started Make 4 or 5 clicks of change and document the feeling of how the bike changes, only do that one circuit at at time, front rebound, rear compression, rear rebound, rear compression. Once you know those feeling fine tune one or 2 clicks. After that you can play with front and rear ride height. Catch me at the track I can walk you through some sv things I learned.

Scb762

Awesome, thank you. What tracks are you normally at? I live in in south-central PA so i stick to Pitt, NJMP, and Summit

I have a local performance shop that can set it up. But that does me no-good at the track when you’re, basically, your own crew chief/pit crew, etc. I’m looking to get a solid understanding of how to make adjustments, so that I can confidently make them on the fly without someone holding my hand
Kendall from TTT is frequently at N2 track days and, IMO, his trackside price is very competitive ($75 last season).

If you tell him the tracks you ride, he'll provide you guidance for general adjustments to make based on anticipated weather and known track configurations.

Jim at Maxspeed is also very helpful and he frequents PRE's track days.

I'm not against learning on one's own but both of these guys will accelerate your learning curve.

No personal affiliation with either person.

I tried Dave Moss tuning and found that not to be very informative. All he does is show videos of him adjusting peoples’ suspension and never shows what tire pressure vs suspension wear looks like…

Sorry....forgot to add that I concur with your perspective above.

I see/hear Dave Moss' name a ton in YouTube videos, other forums and at rallies.

It's funny that I never hear his name in the paddock at MotoAmerica races where suspension adjustments and tire pressures constitute an obsessive science (necessarily so).

Dave Moss is probably a super guy but I don't think he's quite the next-level savant the big world wide web would lead us to believe.

bmart

Control Rider
Still another option for in person is a true savant:

Thermosman comes to race weekends, so if we're having one of our world famous before race weekend track days...

And while you're learning some stuff, there are some good online folks for general knowledge. I enjoy these:

Uber clear and technical: https://www.youtube.com/@MikeonBikes/videos

A lot of down to earth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@CanyonChasers/videos

Our very own gorilla: https://www.youtube.com/@gorillaracing3098/videos

Pick a topic! https://www.youtube.com/@LifeatLean/videos

There are many others, good and bad. Enjoy!

(I also don't get Dave Moss, but that's probably more me than him. I feel the same way about Twist of the Wrist, except for spending that dollar. The catch being that $1 isn't always worth the same!)

mdhokie

Also you said you got your rear shock from MRP... Kenny at MRP comes to CCS and motoamerica races and helps out his customers. He's a good resource as well.