Air Fence info

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I have been scouring and searching the NESBA site for information on the Air Fence Fund. I am a strong supporter of the air fence, but do not know a lot about who sets them up, how much they cost, etc...

Is there a central information location on the Air Fence Fund? And if there is not, I think it would be a good idea to create a central webpage where members can find out information and learn how to donate.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Wow Geoff...only 4 minutes for a reply. Its funny, I just found their website through some other message boards and finished reading some of their material, came back and you had posted.

jpaulsen

I think most of it is owned by the local track orgs and rented to NESBA or which other track day group uses it. I know that is the way it is in our local area.

EngineNoO9

Summit point owns their own now. When Road Atlanta got new stuff Summit got their old stuff. That was in addition to what was already there (not sure who owned that). The other org owns their own stuff as well so is able to put it up at their discretion.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Just wondering, so if I am going to donate money I would like it to go to a fund that will benefit NESBA. So either buying air fences that NESBA owns and can put up at their trackdays or something like that.

Joe Vital

From my admittedly superficial understanding of what it takes to move and set this stuff up, it seems the smartest way is for the tracks to have the sections stored on location. I don't know who 'owns' the stuff at Summit, but I am very grateful for it being there.
Do what you can with the AFF, and try to lend a hand when it we are afforded the luxury of getting to use it.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I am not too far from Summit, so I wouldn't mind getting there early/staying afterwards to help. Do they set it up everytime or just on some weekends?

If it is not everytime, I think it would help if they posted something up ahead of time letting people know they are looking for help.

dale.b

The RRW Airfence fund technically owns the airfences that you usually see. Airfence Andy sets them up and repairs them for us and all the orgs that use the RRW airfence. He stores and transports them as well. He is always looking for help setting up and taking down. In my opinion, air fence should be available to all motorcycling track organizations. It is a safety issue and should be as non-partisan as possible. The more trackdayers donate, the more likely it can be available at all tracks and events that need it.

It is an interesting feeling to wake up, stand up, look around, see your bike up a wall, in a place it shouldn't be, pass out, then get up again and realize that you just hit an airfence and you are walking away (but you shouldn't be). After that, you go home, reasearch the airfence fund and donate whatever you can afford. Then you realize that someone before you donated to this great cause and saved your ass when you barely gave it a thought.

Donate and volunteer to help at events. That's how you can help. Your donation will allow NESBA and riders with other groups to benefit.

Joe Vital

There is usually an annoucement made on the board.
What is typical though is that the evening before the event is when AF Andy is setting up. He will drive around the paddock looking for help.

Dale is correct, give what you can, when you can. It is what all of the cool kids are doing.

Pascal

ditto. Dale said it right, I never thought twice about it. After Dale's accident I thought more about it. Since then I have donated time and some dollars. Do what you can - if you can't contribute in dollars and cents, get out there and help set up the fence!

Our home track I believe owns the airfencing or at least keeps it at the track at all times.

We in the Midwest region have a chili cookoff every Laborday weekend to raise money for this great cause. We just completed this years event and we raised over $7000.00 for the RRW Action Fund which will go towards the purchase of more airfencing foe our home track.
We did it with admissions to the chili cookoff, and small raffle items that were donated by local vendors like Turn One Racing. And we had one of members donate a crashed bike that needed alittle TLC to get it back on track and we raffled it off.
We in the Midwest have taken a very proactive approach to this issue as we have had 2 members hit solid objects :banghead: trackside in the past 2 years!! Both have yet to return to a normal life and trackriding. If we can keep 1 more member or club racer from having this happen, all of our efforts will be well worth it.

TwoTyres

I'll be at summit Saturday but will be staying at the track Friday night.

What time does Andy set up the fence? I want to try and get there in time to help set it up.

Geoff Doyer

Airfence Andy will be at pit out at 6pm Friday night looking for help and again at 5pm on Sunday evening looking for help to tear it all down.
Roadracingworld owns the airfence at Summit Point and it is controlled by Kevin Elliot from CCS. The reason we at NESBA have been fortunate enough to use it is because of donations made to the air fence fund from NESBA members. NESBA pays every time we use it and it aint cheap! Any help setting up and tearing down is greatly appriciated! Thanks