Aluminum/magnetic oil drain plug?

mdhokie

I was looking at buying a pre-drilled oil drain plug to save the trouble of drilling myself for safety wire. There are a bunch of pre-drilled magnetic drain plugs on ebay and performance shops, but they all seem to be made of aluminum and on some of them, the top of the bolt head is mostly hollowed out in the center too.

Do you guys use these? Is the aluminum too soft? Especially with the hollowed-out center, I'd be worried about the head just shearing right off. Furthermore, is there a possibility of the magnet coming out and bouncing around inside the oil pan (shudder)?

I don't use one but i wouldn't have a problem using one from a known company like Driven or Vortex or something like that. Ebay and Amazon is a different story. You never know. Case in point i just bought a Regina 520 rivet link for my chain off amazon. It came to my house and looks nothing like the Regina link it is to replace. I emailed the seller told them i am not pleased with this master link. It looks nothing like the link it replaces and i would like to send it back for a refund. They said no problem we will refund your money. They did. But i can just keep the link...makes me wonder. Any way now i am just ordering a new chain and sprocket set. Piece of mind is always affordable.

tdelegram

Control Rider

mdhokie

I knew the case was aluminum, and I weighed that argument with myself, but the Yamaha factory bolts were steel.

DUG

I'd recommend PSR if not one of the more mainstream brands. I've bought about 5 of these and have run them on as many bikes. You actually want a softer metal than the threads- no issues with stripping. Just snug up an wire and you're good to go. Also, when changing the oil, the magnetic tip will tell you if you're bike is making metal- an indicator of darker days ahead.