Another new guy needing advice

fytefire103

What’s up guys? Needing some advice on what’s bike to start out on for track days, maybe some racing down the road. A little background on myself. I’m 46 year old. 6’1“ 230 lbs. and have been road riding since I was 16. Never been on a track. Been through many of the popular bikes. 600s, 1000s and a few SV650s and FZ1s. Again never been on a track. I have been racing motocross for the past 38 years. Raced a few professional races in the mid 1990s and currently ride the +35 +40 and +45 expert classes. I have a several state and regional championships with my most recent being in 2018. I know my mx background has nothing to do with going to the road just wanted y’all to know my background. I’m not completely new at riding.

Anyway......
Any recommendations for a track/race bike? I’m smart enoug to know bigger isn’t better. I want to learn proper body position And build on that to some race craft. Got some friends telling me to get a 600, SV650 or a FZ07 but I personally was thinking about a Ninja 400 or CBR600.

Any thoughts, options or advice is greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Motofun352

Control Rider
At 6'1" and 230 , especially with your experience, I'd listen to your friends......all except for the 400. The 400 would be fun, for a while, but you might "grow" out of it quickly. The other bikes would last a lot longer, if you already own one, start there. If not, pick up a used one that's already preped. A little suspension work to fit you and you would be good to go.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Everyone's tastes and desires are different, but based on how you describe yourself, it sounds like a 600 or SV650 would make you happy.

A 400 sounds like a great idea if you're racing and out on the track with other 3/400s. But just something to think about: for track days you'll be out with everything, including liter bikes, and on a 400 the closing speeds on long straights can be in excess of 60 mph. Having said that, my wife's been riding an R3 this year and knock on wood is doing fine.

edit - but I'm eager to upgrade her to an SV for the above reason.

Last edited:
Where are you located ? I have a solid 2002 gsxr 600 in "bikes for sale" section. You could track it or race it tomorrow. It needs nothing.

bmart

Control Rider
Any 600 from about 2003 on would have plenty of power to get you around at a good pace. CBR600RR from 2007-2008 has a little extra kick from others of the era, and the recent crop (not sure of your budget). If you're after corner speed and momentum, consider the SV or FZ07 set up for the track (suspension, brake system, can for weight savings). A lot of folks like the stability of the GSXR line, and it would provide the option of a 750 inline 4.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with the above, 600 or SV650. If you like the Honda, go with that. The most common at trackdays seems to be Yamaha R6 and Suzuki GSXR 600, which means if you need a spare part during the day, you've got a good chance of finding it.