Barber 2018... my first track day; General questions

MoerachR3

Yamaha R3 & Kawasaki KLX 140
Hi all!

So this year’s Barber event will be my very first track day, and there’s a good chance that I’ll be going it alone. I need to start getting prepared, so I’m hoping that I can get some input on the following questions:

1) Hotels? Anyone have any preferences or recommendations?
2) Is tech inspection on Saturday for riding on Sunday?
3) Do I set up a pit area Saturday and leave everything there?

I’m just trying to make sure I’m prepared (it’s thanksgiving after all). I’ve read the rules document, and I’ve paid to reserve a set of leathers; I have the right boots and gloves. I’m excited to learn and to ride that beautiful track!

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
Hi all!

So this year’s Barber event will be my very first track day, and there’s a good chance that I’ll be going it alone. I need to start getting prepared, so I’m hoping that I can get some input on the following questions:

1) Hotels? Anyone have any preferences or recommendations?
2) Is tech inspection on Saturday for riding on Sunday?
3) Do I set up a pit area Saturday and leave everything there?

I’m just trying to make sure I’m prepared (it’s thanksgiving after all). I’ve read the rules document, and I’ve paid to reserve a set of leathers; I have the right boots and gloves. I’m excited to learn and to ride that beautiful track!

Looking forward to seeing you at Barber! Awesome track to get started on. There are a couple hotels in Leeds and a couple more in Trussville. Quick google search will point you in the right direction. Tech inspection and registration begin each morning at 7:00 and go until 8:00. Riders meeting at 8:15. There shouldn't be any issue in setting up Sat and coming back Sun morning. Always good to introduce yourself to your paddock neighbors. We will get you taken care of and you will have a great weekend.

MoerachR3

Looking forward to seeing you at Barber! Awesome track to get started on. There are a couple hotels in Leeds and a couple more in Trussville. Quick google search will point you in the right direction. Tech inspection and registration begin each morning at 7:00 and go until 8:00. Riders meeting at 8:15. There shouldn't be any issue in setting up Sat and coming back Sun morning. Always good to introduce yourself to your paddock neighbors. We will get you taken care of and you will have a great weekend.

Fantastic. I’m not sure where I read that tech inspection was different at Barber’s, but I’m happy to be mistaken. Do people leave their bikes and trailers overnight there?

Thanks for the info! I look forward to meeting everyone :)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Good and bad thing about Barber being your first time...

Good: It's my #2 favorite track I've ever ridden. The layout, the facility, THE MUSEUM (you could spend all day in just that)..amazing.

Bad: It will absolutely spoil you because it's the nicest and cleanest track on the East coast...and from then on, every track you go to will be judged to Barber. And I hate to break it to you, some other tracks facilities aren't nearly as nice as Barber! Barber is like a golf course with a race track on it. Not to mention the track itself is just superb. You're gonna love it.

That aside, like Dan said - introduce yourself to the staff, tell us you're new to the scene and we will take extra care of you (along with the other first timers) to ensure you know where/when to be. Otherwise, if you don't say anything, most people will assume you just know what to do. So don't be afraid to ask questions - ask the staff, ask the people you're pitted next to. You'll find everyone is more than willing to help, but none of us can read minds, so ask away if you have any questions.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Your bike and gear are way way safer at Barber than with you at a motel.
I will be there all weekend. PM me and you can setup besides if you want to.

MrFrzz

slow and wide
+1 here. My wife and I are hoping to be making barber this year and will probably be camping there in a tent. Might try catch up with you there Mike since we have the same moped and all. ;)

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Fantastic. I’m not sure where I read that tech inspection was different at Barber’s, but I’m happy to be mistaken. Do people leave their bikes and trailers overnight there?

Thanks for the info! I look forward to meeting everyone :)

We unload our bikes off the trailer, set them up under a canopy, and then chain the trailer through the wheels of the bikes. YoullYcome to realize most of these folks at the track would be willing to give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it.

We were at Roebling road in August and saw a couple guys by themselves setting up, so we gave them a yell and they pitted with us.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
+1 here. My wife and I are hoping to be making barber this year and will probably be camping there in a tent. Might try catch up with you there Mike since we have the same moped and all. ;)
Cool, we can see who pedals faster :laugh:

MoerachR3

That’s honestly what I was most afraid of - the overnight at the motel. Knowing that I can set up the day before is comforting. I might be able to actually sleep that night!

MoerachR3

We unload our bikes off the trailer, set them up under a canopy, and then chain the trailer through the wheels of the bikes. YoullYcome to realize most of these folks at the track would be willing to give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it.

We were at Roebling road in August and saw a couple guys by themselves setting up, so we gave them a yell and they pitted with us.

Excellent! Not having to leave a trailer and equipment overnight in a motel parking lot is a huge weight off of my mind!