Barber ATP

turdferguson

I attended the Barber ATP program on Saturday and wanted to give some feedback based on my experience. I'm a new rider with N2, but started track days in Summer of 14, although I really got into it this year with 20+ days. I was nervous about signing up for a program that I couldn't find any reviews on, but took a leap of faith and am extremely happy that I did.

I don't if they want me to go into detail about what they teach, but you know the basics: traction, trail braking, body positioning, and track strategy. We went over our goals for the day and my biggest goal was to take the drama out of braking and learn to trail brake, as braking and getting off the brakes has always been my biggest weakness. Quick note, I've worked with a lot of good CRs/Instructors, these guys were top notch, the best I've ever encountered in the ability to communicate and quickly diagnose/fix issues.

I learned more in one day with these guys than I have in probably the last 15 track days I've done this year. By the end of the first day, I started getting more confident and braking a little later and tightening my line. I still felt a little nervous but was able to take Sunday and just focus on braking, while trying to remember the BP tips. I mainly focused on two turns I knew I was losing a ton of time due to poor braking, turns 8 and 12.

I could go on for far too long, but nobody would read it. Anyway, the proof is in the video. I uploaded the fastest lap from my last track weekend in August at Barber against my second fastest time on Sunday. I haven't seen my times jump this much since I was the new guy that was floored to hear that you didn't need a clutch to upshift. This was an overall 5 second improvement (1:53 to 1:48) with all laps that session at sub 1:50 times. Here you go:

In short, the day was about $250 more than a typical track day and I’ve gotten tools that have made me safer while making me faster, which seems counterintuitive. Thanks again to N2 and the instructors for putting this together, I'll see you at Road Atlanta next year! I'll probably even take the YRCS full course next summer to get the full experience.

Steve

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Faster Safer...that's the YCRS motto. Glad you liked the ATP program! YCRS is like the ATP program...but on steroids.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Steve,

We're very happy to hear that you got so much out of the program. We're fans of the YCRS talking points/teaching methods and are happy to give people a sample of what it's all about. Our position is always to key in on riding fundamentals and build a solid foundation for riders to build upon. Nothing makes us happier than seeing incredible improvement in such short order.

ATP was a collaboration between N2 and YCRS and has paved the way for us to teach some of the very solid YCRS principles at our track days. As John states, ATP is a pre-cursor to the full YCRS two-day school. If ATP were sipping from a tea-cup, YCRS is drinking from the fountain!

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Glad to hear the program worked so well for you! And thank you for the kind words and review. You keyed in on a very important point, becoming a "safer" rider. When you can use the technique to remove the drama, you can begin to add pace without adding risk. Keep honing those skills and keep investing in yourself as a rider.

RobOpel

I was also very impressed with the level of instruction and how focused you guys are as coaches. Of all the class members, I think I came into the class with the least amount of experience, and I felt like you guys were able to tailor the instruction to the rider very well. I just wish I had taken this class sooner. Now I have all these techniques that Im itching to practice, Spring can't get here fast enough! Thanks guys,

Rob

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Steve,

It was nice to meet you. Glad you found the instruction valuable. The full school is worth the investment and will build on the fundamentals we went over in the classroom and on the track. If you have any questions or if you want to turn a few laps on the track come see us at one of our days.

James

rob92

Control Rider
N2
I was also very impressed with the level of instruction and how focused you guys are as coaches. Of all the class members, I think I came into the class with the least amount of experience, and I felt like you guys were able to tailor the instruction to the rider very well. I just wish I had taken this class sooner. Now I have all these techniques that Im itching to practice, Spring can't get here fast enough!

Rob, I'm very glad to see that you enjoyed the class. As ATP/YCRS preach the adjustable rider, so too is the method of teaching and our adjusting to the level of the student. While the fundamentals are the same, the level at which they're presented is just a level of detail! Hope to see you out there soon.

Thanks!