Beginner or Intermediate

rk97

JGardy_781;23958 wrote: Just looked at my event list in the NESBA account thingie -

I did 17 days in B before getting bumped to I.

I did 31 days in I before getting bumped to A.

Some of us are slow learners!
lol - There are a LOT of factors beyond just number of days. 17 days sounds like a lot, but is that 17 days in 3 months, or 17 days over the course of 4 riding seasons? some people can afford to be out every weekend, and some are lucky to be out once a month.

In my case, I also did 5 days on my street bike with crap suspension before picking up a track bike with a decent setup. the learning curve definitely changes, but I know I spent at least one full weekend just getting used to the 'new' bike.

And you can't beat the feeling of being told you need a new sticker. That alone is worth starting in B :D

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Alamano, you were smarter than your friends. If you're still in B, then you're not ready for I group and have things left to learn. Have fun learning. You'll end up passing your friends that signed up in I group.

Other organizations allow their riders to pick their group they're in for the most part. Very little quality control. Typically most NESBA groups are faster as a whole than other org's groups like STT and TPM for examples.
(Not picking on them just using examples). Why? The directors of NESBA care about YOU, their members, and YOUR growth as riders...and they also care about all the other members at the same time.

I had a GREAT time in B group the whole 35 track days over 5 years I was in that group. I learned more than I had ever imagined through working with the CR's at every event. Getting the yellow I sticker a year ago was one of the greatest accomplishments of my life.

If you're not having fun in B group, figure out what you need to learn. Grab a CR and ask for an evaluation. Take note of what he or she tells you. Go out and practice it for a session or two, so slower if you must. You'll end up going faster in the long run. Then, kindly ask that same or another CR to follow you in a following session for a lap or two. Tell them what you're trying to learn. Be specific on what it is you're trying to learn like body positioning, lines, specific markers for turn-in/setting entrance speed (it's NOT braking), etc.

Eventually, you'll move up. Track days are not a competition, and the group you ride in is not a measurment of your manhood. (Forgive me ladies). Drop your egos. A B sticker is not an embarassing thing to have on your bike. B means your better than the guys and gals still riding the street that won't even try a track day. B means your beginning a journey of a lifetime of exploring your abilities and the abilities of your machine in a safe and controlled environment where risks are minimized compared to doing the same thing on public roads.

D-Zum OUT!

rk97

the whole "B" "I" "A" thing is really just a label. My friends couldn't understand why I was so psyched about the "I" sticker.

I told them, "this is like getting a masters degree in motorcycle riding. An 'A' sticker is like a PhD."

ridelater

:asleep:how and the hell does it take 80+ post 2 tell someone 2 start in b and get bumbed from there i got bored after the 3 page.:asleep:

Lars

You guys really don’t get it! :D
We are a bunch of guys having some irrational TD redraws.
The wife, family, near friends has no clue about how we are feeling.
Shaking, sweating, can’t sleep and being afraid not to make it trough the winter. :eek:
Therefore, we have to hold on the last resort for TD addicts (Our NESBA board) by being a part for the discussions.

Agree, this post is to long.

Cu next year,
Lars

unclepaulie

WELL I GOT ONE FOR YA.

I did my very 1st trackday with nesba back in 2002. Obviously it being my 1st trackday I signed up for the B class. Like any smart person should. Well it's 2008 and I'm doing my 2nd trackday with nesba next week at Barber. So naturally I'm still assigned to the B group. The kicker is, since 2002 I have done approximately 12-15 trackdays a year. So roughly 84-105 trackdays over the last 7yrs.

Yea, it stinks I have to ride in the B group with nesba, but those are there rules and I am more than happy to abide by them. This will be my first time to Barber so I am just going with an open mind and taking the oppurtunity to learn the track and have a blast. I know I will have fun regardless just because I love being on the track.

One question I do have though is if all groups are full for the entire weekend. Does that mean that they do not bump anyone because of numbers??

Tony A

unclepaulie;24298 wrote:
One question I do have though is if all groups are full for the entire weekend. Does that mean that they do not bump anyone because of numbers??
You can still be bumped, but you may not be able to ride in the new group that day, but my experiance is they will try to get you out with the new group.

stkr

unclepaulie;24298 wrote: WELL I GOT ONE FOR YA.
The kicker is, since 2002 I have done approximately 12-15 trackdays a year. So roughly 84-105 trackdays over the last 7yrs.
I don't know if you have enough days to go into the I-group :saythat: :D:eek:uttahere:

j/k - You'll love Barber, and by lunchtime, you'll be railing with the rest of them. The track just flows. I seriously doubt you'll be in the B-group for long. ;)

unclepaulie

stkr;24320 wrote: I don't know if you have enough days to go into the I-group :saythat: :D:eek:uttahere:

j/k - You'll love Barber, and by lunchtime, you'll be railing with the rest of them. The track just flows. I seriously doubt you'll be in the B-group for long. ;)
Yea, I can't wait. Soo excited to finally get to Barber. Really look forward to meeting many of you as well. Everyone have a safe trip down and we'll see you guys shortly.

Ruhe52

Wow can't believe I made it 10 pages before jumping in. One thing fast on the street with no trackdays really means nothing on the track. Two if you do not have a sticker on the front of your bike that says C opinion here is heard but means nothing. They know who belongs where. I have seen guys that have not been on a track in 20 years show up on a BMW GS and jump in I only to get bumped down by lunch. Have seen riders sign up B get bumped to I and a weekend or two later find the A sticker. Keep in mind you are on a track and by it's very nature allows you to do stuff you would get cuffed and stuffed for on the street. That said if you are not having fun in the group your in something is missing. 9 times out of 10 it is the true skills to move to the next level and oddly personal evaluation here normally ends with "I'm ready" let the CRs call the shot. Work with in the rules of your group and if that doesn't work as Timmmmaaaay says stuff a wheel up inside a CR and see what group that gets you moved to. Really it can be a pain in the butt waiting to get a bump. Try this, don't wait for it. If you are ready or think you are line up number 1 work with a CR if the group permits get a 1 on 1 with a CR for part of a session. If it is jammed and people are riding like knobs and the CRs have to play cop all weekend ask am I part of the problem or part of the solution. Keep in mind the CRs have 3 jobs out there # 1 Your safety. If your held up pit in for clear track It shocks me how many times you watch B group rolling around in a pack and then on Monday posts of I couldn't ride or get clear track or that guy sucked and held me up. Oddly you see 2 guys use a roll down pit to get clear track and I doubt those are the guys / gals complaining. BE safe look forward to seeing you guys (those that are going) at Barber this weekend. This is a fun weekend as it is last of the season.
Keep in mind Derek has added a second show to his act Sat night so don't miss it.

paul0812

i did 6 trackdays with nesba last year . 2 at beaver and 4 at njmp.

a lot depends on the riders of the day, i have ridden in I and B . i started out in I and i was getting passed all over the place. which was nerve racking... so i went to B where i was at the top of the pack..

for 09 i'll start out in B and work my way back up to I

Go with your gut.. go with where you feel comfortable...

jesse12

I got my first track bike last summer (03 600rr). I went to Lightning for my first track day in the B group. I know i can ride but was a little nervious at first, took my time the first few sessions. i didnt want to do anything stupid. But my mid day i was feeling comfortable and was making sure i was one of the first bikes out asked one of th CR's to watch me and give me some pointers so on the last session he took me out and we started to pull away from other bikes, he kept giving me the thumbs up and then let me go do my thing till i caught up with other CR's and they waved me on. At the end they said i didnt belong there and gave me the bump. A few weeks later i went back to lighting with some friends that race with wera, with a different club. they threw me in the A group and i did very well and was even keeping up with them who have been racing for a few years until i lowsided into turn 5 (i think it was) and was done for the day. i learned a lot and cant wait for the 11th at thunderbolt.
So just take your time and you'll get noticed if your patient and talk to the CR's. Thats what they're there for.

Blaise

rk97;24187 wrote: the whole "B" "I" "A" thing is really just a label. My friends couldn't understand why I was so psyched about the "I" sticker.

I told them, "this is like getting a masters degree in motorcycle riding. An 'A' sticker is like a PhD."
An "I" is getting your bachelors, and "A" is like your masters to me :D

Definitely an awesome feeling to get bumped.

My 2 cents:

I remember being at Beaver in B group on my 5th trackday. I remember being kinda annoyed at how slow the pace was, and really looking forward to having a chance at being bumped. I was running a 1:09ish pace, passing people constantly.

Then I got passed like I was standing still by a guy with a yellow GSXR (I forget his name now). I came into the pits, and while talking to Buck, he said:

"That guy on that yellow Gixxer. He's fast!! We gotta get him outta here." And that was it, he was gone. No bitching, moaning, etc. Just very clean fast riding while observing B group passing rules. Take note!

New guy to nesba, 2 sessions, bumped. I got bumped at the end of the day too :D

rk97

^ unless i'm mistaken, that guy on the yellow GSXR was also a TPM instructor. And yeah, he was running 1:04's in "B" group traffic.

just goes to show that being "held up" is a total myth.

jimgl3

rk97 makes post # 97 in the thread. now that's skill! LOL!

if i'm feeling held up in B group i just cut through the grass!

vanelli56

I have started out in the B group two different times, and gotten bumped right up to I with in a few sessions. I rode a few track days YEARS ago, and got bumped.... Took some time off, came back, opted back down to B group to get the feel again, and got bumped right back again to I.

Dont worry to much about where your at.... If you were just blazing past everyone at your last few trackdays.... then you should be fine in I. If you were just keeping a good fast pace, I would say start in the B group, and feel your way into the groove of things.

In a way, Its kind of fun to start in the B group and get the bump... kind of a proud moment.... heck, I would do it again if I could. :)

As said before, most riders in the I group are faster then other oganizations I group, and the same goes for the A group, and somewhat for the B group. But its very structured and closely watched by the CR's to make sure everyone is where they need to be.