Beginner or Intermediate

tpadden

Quick question= I did two or three trackdays last year than started racing i only did one TD with Nesba and am still in the B group. I'm signed up for summit main on may 10th do I still have to go through the process of getting bumped up even though I hold both CCS and Wera race licenses.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Unless it is a expert licence then yes you need to go through the bump process. I lapped a guy in a solo at Main 4 times, and he had a race license too

NoBull

tpadden;47935 wrote: Quick question= I did two or three trackdays last year than started racing i only did one TD with Nesba and am still in the B group. I'm signed up for summit main on may 10th do I still have to go through the process of getting bumped up even though I hold both CCS and Wera race licenses.
Yes you do, but if you're as fast as you're implying getting bumped won't be an issue.

Meat

slow_honda;47937 wrote: Unless it is a expert licence then yes you need to go through the bump process. I lapped a guy in a solo at Main 4 times, and he had a race license too
:agree: I don't race, but I also know that a race license is not dependant upon riding abilities. Kind of like having a business permit doesn't mean you know how to run a business.

If you have the skill that you are insinuating you have, you will get bumped. If you don’t get bumped I would reconsider racing until your skill level improves.

RyanITV

Admin
What Dave said - you need an expert license to get into "A" without being bumped. The idea is not to hold people back in "B" - if you're out there railing, it's obvious and you'll get moved up pretty quickly. I saw it firsthand - last year a novice racer went from "B" to "A" in one day; the kid was flying and doing so safely and within the rules of each class they put him in.

Ryan

tpadden

ok thanks for the responses, I was just curious, it's a little strange to me that you can pick to be in I on your first trackday but someone who has been through a race school and has experience racing has to be bumped up. I know having a race license doesn't automatically mean your fast, theres plenty of slow guys out there, but at least those slow guys arn't going to be scared of someone flying by them and most likely know how to hold their line.No big deal though I will just go through the process of being bumped. I would rather just start out in I where I'm at least aloud to pass on the outside of turns, because it can get kind of frustrating being on a sv650 and having people fly by you in the straights and than park it in the corners. (For the record I don't see how I was insinuating that I was fast there are people who havn't even done a trackday before they start racing)

eE jeremy

tpadden;48132 wrote: ok thanks for the responses, I was just curious, it's a little strange to me that you can pick to be in I on your first trackday but someone who has been through a race school and has experience racing has to be bumped up. I know having a race license doesn't automatically mean your fast, theres plenty of slow guys out there, but at least those slow guys arn't going to be scared of someone flying by them and most likely know how to hold their line.No big deal though I will just go through the process of being bumped. I would rather just start out in I where I'm at least aloud to pass on the outside of turns, because it can get kind of frustrating being on a sv650 and having people fly by you in the straights and than park it in the corners. (For the record I don't see how I was insinuating that I was fast there are people who havn't even done a trackday before they start racing)
being the fastest guy in b group is fun though :dunno:

I got bumped my first trackday with nesba to I and it was a blast, i got to work on my passes all day, i must have performed over 100 passes that day, and you know what, that really helps. I got better at passing, and I got the bump. win win

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Look me up on the 10th and we can get you evaluated for I. I'm on the Yellow 08 1000RR kinda hard to miss

Meat

tpadden;48132 wrote: (For the record I don't see how I was insinuating that I was fast there are people who havn't even done a trackday before they start racing)
I am sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you, I really didn't mean to sound that way. You were just insinuating that you were skilled enough to move into I-group. If you are, then you definitely shoudl be in the I-group. I am not trying to get your panties in a bunch or anything here.

I am only in I-group myself so you won't see me thinking I am so fast either.

snikwad

slow_honda;48148 wrote: Look me up on the 10th and we can get you evaluated for I. I'm on the Yellow 08 1000RR kinda hard to miss
yeah, cause youre a frikin blur, a damn yellow blur.

jimgl3

Meat;48175 wrote: I am sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you, I really didn't mean to sound that way. You were just insinuating that you were skilled enough to move into I-group. If you are, then you definitely shoudl be in the I-group. I am not trying to get your panties in a bunch or anything here.

you big bully! LOL! :p

Bluenvy

Meat;48175 wrote: I am sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you, I really didn't mean to sound that way. You were just insinuating that you were skilled enough to move into I-group. If you are, then you definitely shoudl be in the I-group. I am not trying to get your panties in a bunch or anything here.

people can get overlooked especially with so many people being in B. my friend is in B with nesba and he runs A with me when we do STT days. he is definitely no slouch and has solid skills. hes consistent, predictable, good form, smart with making pass. why he isnt in I i dont know.

Meat

Bluenvy;48375 wrote: people can get overlooked especially with so many people being in B. my friend is in B with nesba and he runs A with me when we do STT days. he is definitely no slouch and has solid skills. hes consistent, predictable, good form, smart with making pass. why he isnt in I i dont know.
You know, you are probably right.

Getting noticed in B-group....a push-up bra would probably help. ;)

rk97

Bluenvy;48375 wrote: people can get overlooked especially with so many people being in B. my friend is in B with nesba and he runs A with me when we do STT days. he is definitely no slouch and has solid skills. hes consistent, predictable, good form, smart with making pass. why he isnt in I i dont know.
I think it's entirely possible to be 'ignored' in "B" group some days. a lot depends on the skill of the group as a whole.

The CR's first duty is to keep everyone safe. Evaluating the fast riders takes a back seat to keeping the novices from endangering themselves or others. It sucks, but it's necessary.

NorthernYankee

rk97;48501 wrote: I think it's entirely possible to be 'ignored' in "B" group some days. a lot depends on the skill of the group as a whole.

The CR's first duty is to keep everyone safe. Evaluating the fast riders takes a back seat to keeping the novices from endangering themselves or others. It sucks, but it's necessary.
So if you are in this situation would it be a good idea to ask a CR before the session starts to critique you on what you need to work on to get the bump?

barry38

rk97;48501 wrote: I think it's entirely possible to be 'ignored' in "B" group some days. a lot depends on the skill of the group as a whole.

Yes, safety and traffic management is our first priority, however, I am always evaluating every single rider, every single lap. There were at least three instances last year where I was riding with guys I would have bumped, but they didn't stop at the end of the sesion for feedback, and I never found them when I went looking for them in the pits.

If you feel you are riding well, and you don't think you are getting noticed, grab someone in an orange shirt and ask them to ride with you so you can get some feedback. Notice I didn't say evaluate you for a bump. If you are ready for a bump, we will see you. If you aren't we will give you feedback on what you need to do to get bumped.