Best Tires for Trackdays That Do NOT Need Warmers

Domiken

I've been running the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas on the street and on the track, they are amazing compared to the others I had.

andersoncm2

I ran Bridgestone's Battlax S20 tires all last season on my GSXR 600. They worked great and stuck like glue. After about 1/2 a lap, the tires were ready to go. I run a low to medium intermediate pace, and they worked great for me. You might want to give them a try.

vzhulin

I am a big fan of the Q3's. No tire warmers needed, the tire warms up very quickly (a couple laps before you start pushing it) and has excellent grip and feel. I've never felt like I'm outriding the tire and need something better. Great price too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mike55

If I had to choose from a neutral standpoint (no predetermined loyalty to one brand vs another) I'd listen to vzhulin and go with Q3s. I've personally seen him ride his Fireblade 3 hours to the track on them, kill it all weekend, get bumped to A, then ride 3 hours back home. If he wasn't such a good guy it would probably piss me off HAHAHA!!! Seriously though, he is speaking from first hand experience.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

vzhulin

Mike55;300019 wrote: If I had to choose from a neutral standpoint (no predetermined loyalty to one brand vs another) I'd listen to vzhulin and go with Q3s. I've personally seen him ride his Fireblade 3 hours to the track on them, kill it all weekend, get bumped to A, then ride 3 hours back home. If he wasn't such a good guy it would probably piss me off HAHAHA!!! Seriously though, he is speaking from first hand experience.

Thanks buddy! :) You're exaggerating but I'll take it ha!

It is indeed a good street and track combo tire. I guess I'm so used to it that even if I had a track only bike I would stick with that tire.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Mike55;300019 wrote: If I had to choose from a neutral standpoint (no predetermined loyalty to one brand vs another) I'd listen to vzhulin and go with Q3s. I've personally seen him ride his Fireblade 3 hours to the track on them, kill it all weekend, get bumped to A, then ride 3 hours back home. If he wasn't such a good guy it would probably piss me off HAHAHA!!! Seriously though, he is speaking from first hand experience.

He is a beast!! :agree: I've seen him in action…

whitarnold

Tires do not "need" the warmers 1/2 as much as I do. Tires will EVENTUALLY warm up but every lap is $$$$ that you paid and that you waste trying to warm up tires. Second, warmers are a pain in the A#$ but well worth it for the PEACE OF MIND!

yokel84

I'm probably crazy, but I kinda like warming up tires the way I learned to like riding in the rain. You get the chance to get a feel for playing with traction to see how much throttle you can dial in before things get squirmy. Though, the last time a CR followed me through Barber T4 he was like: "chill out, you're leaving a black line allll they way up the hill".. Highsides definitely don't sound fun.

Back on topic: though I like the DRCs, I've been thinking about switching to Q3s just because they're priced so well.

Though, I'm not sure if I should change bikes AND tires at the same time?

moman

You'll definitely kick yourself if you didn't buy a couple sets when you had the chance. I've used up several sets of Q3's since they came out and before that lots of Q2's. I did get a great deal on a couple sets of GPA'S last fall so going to check them out soon I'm hoping.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
yokel84;298771 wrote: That makes sense, but it's not just here. The journalists seem to have been sleeping on the DRCs too, outside of the initially quite positive reviews:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/6978/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-Corsa-Product-Review.aspx

When they did a tire shootout, they put the Q2s up against the regular Rossos, if I recall.

Anyways, I'm sure it's true that whatever tire you get used to is the one that'll work for you the best. Everyone raves about the Q3s. I could get used to the quicker turning, but I'm afraid of the slippery-when-cold nature of Dunlops I've ridden. The Pirellis warm up in like two corners.

Also, I got five trackdays out of a set and they seem like they could do four more. That's probably just because I'm slow. I'd be interested in hearing what happens when you start going fast on them HondaGal
My experience/observation with Dunlop v Pirelli is similar to HondaGal's assessment. I loved my Pirelli when I had my first bike (12yrs ago). They warmed up quickly and had handling to suit my turn-in style. The Q2s were slippery and, more than once, I went down during warmup (my fault for treating them like Pirelli's). Now I'm running Q3s on my new street bike and have no issues with them on the track. Of course, I wonder if I run Pirellis again... ;)

akilalbert

People like to visit forum for several information regarding their day to day living style. But sometime it is found that they are also much serious regarding their vehicle and its proper maintenance. For that reason sometime they used to follow several forum topics of track days.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Last year, I ran Dunlop Q2s (came stock) on my street and I had no issues with them at all tho I was new to the track (after 10yrs) and really didn't ride hard.

I also had a few of the Dunlops from 10yrs ago as I felt they were slippery-when-cold and once put me down on a warmup lap. My fault, of course, for riding them like they were Pirellis (which I loved back then).

This year, my new track bike came with Michelin Supersports and I absolutely love 'em.

+1 on what Judy said: "Pick a brand you like and stay with it to learn it, rather than switching brands all the time."

Outside of the fact that my bikes came with brand new & different tires, I won't switch brands just to score a deal.