Bike Stand Recommendations?

CBRtist

Previous toy hauler had Pit Bulls. New toy hauler I've been getting by with chocks, but I've only been hauling minis. I have concerns once I start loading big bikes.

I *could* install Pit Bulls in this hauler, but it's a smaller hauler and there isn't a dedicated garage as before. There are 3 D-rings wide throughout.After bikes are unloaded, it's the living room essentially. Dunno if I want to be tripping on Pits.

I heard there is a different system that flush mounts to floor. Does this exist or is this a unicorn? I've been Googling but want advice to make an informed decision.

TIA. My track season is quickly approaching.

JBowen33

I had the same issue you did/do. My toyhauler is smaller one with no separate garage. I wanted to put the pit bulls in since I have the system in a enclosed trailer but couldn’t due to not being able to access underneath the floor where the bikes go.

I went with the Baxley. It has served me well plus I use it in the garage etc as my bike has no kickstand.

I turn the bike around inside the of the hauler and use the rear door as a back stop for the chock and then just run to straps from the loops on the subframe to the floor which hold the bike against the door in a sense It’s been pretty secure and doesn’t put the typical “down” pressure on the suspension.

Think I paid 200 bucks for it but that was a few years ago.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If you can access underneath to mount the pitbulls, they are the way to go. All that's left sticking up is a small bolt when the apparatus is removed, not much of a trip hazard! And I trip over rings on the floor every. single. time. May not work for the little bike, as they may not make pins, so you'll still need a chock/straps for that. Baxley is a good option, but it also needs to be mounted to the floor somehow.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
IMHO, as much as you usually use your stuff, there is only one possible scenario where I would not use the Pitbull. Anything that reduces the need for straps must be mounted to the floor anyway, so there is no advantage to them over the pitbull. Anything that does rely in straps is far more prone to the straps getting loose and your stuff being damaged, takes longer to mount/dismount, is harder to get around, and is very tough on your suspension.

If money is not a complete object, there is a TRS solution that also makes them very easy to completely disassemble. You buy an extra floor plate (the wide rectangular plate) for each mount. You have the appropriate nut welded to the holes on that plate. You then install that plate under the floor - using wood screws or whatever to secure it to the floor. You can now completely remove the floor plates and little studs on top of the floor because the nuts stay secured underneath. I actually made brackets out of solid steel, but I have access to machining equipment that most do not. Doing it this way also makes the TRS stronger, as it disperses the weight across more floor material. Remember - TRS requires at least some dispersion. If you try to use just lag bolts or something eventually it will fail. That's why they provide those heavy, wide washers.

Wendy, I think the other type of mounts you were hearing about are the Moto-D mounts. They would actually be more of a problem for your situation.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The only real problem with any of the TRS type mounts is that they require a hollow rear axle. Many (most?) small bikes aren't built that way. Some form of Baxley sport chock and a canyon dancer is pretty easy to use. That's how I transported my Zuma until I found a retrofit kit for the TRS

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
They make a cup style for the 250/300 cc bikes. Even the SV. It goes over top of the bolt end.

My preference is definitely the Pitbull TRS. Once you pull the clamps it’s only four bolts that are approximately 1/2 tall. An area rug will keep you from stubbing your toes if you have to

Motofun352

Control Rider
Yeah, I bought a kit to retrofit my Zuma for the TRS. It works OK but not up to the quality of the Pit Bull stuff. I'm not sure I'd trust a heavy bike like an SV, though that could be due to the poor tolerance of the stuff I bought. Got give props to the pit bull company, they go to the max on their builds.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Yeah, I bought a kit to retrofit my Zuma for the TRS. It works OK but not up to the quality of the Pit Bull stuff. I'm not sure I'd trust a heavy bike like an SV, though that could be due to the poor tolerance of the stuff I bought. Got give props to the pit bull company, they go to the max on their builds.

Jack, I have pitbull pin and cup for my KTM 300 that works perfect and had the same thing for my cbr1100xx blackbird which is the size of a Busa. Both work perfectly.

Is your kit for a Zuma 50? If so I’m interested in knowing more about it.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The kit I bought was made by some guy who knocked out several when he made his own. 2 metal cups that bolt into the rear frame of my 125 Zuma. I had to trim a little off the drive unit covering plastic. The locking pins then go into the cups and have hairpin clips to lock them to the TRS frame. The tolerances were a little sloppy (as compared to the way pitbull does their stuff) so it's not confidence inspiring. OK for a light bike but I wouldn't trust this set-up on a regular bike.