Brake pad backing plates and copper retaining clips

bmart

Control Rider
There is a clip that attaches onto the back of the brake pad. My street bikes/pads have them but my primary track bike doesn't.

fa252hh.jpg

On the top of each set of pads is a copper retaining clip that the shaft goes through along with the hole in each pad.

mr-InwK9P2CyozmHoNei6OQ.jpg

Do you guys run either of these items in your calipers for track use? What are the pros/cons of running or not running them? Are there any safety risks with not running them?

Thanks!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
That’s an anti rattle plate. First thing I drop when switching to a erformance pad. I was told that you get better air flow for cooler brakes. Never tested it to get any true emperical data but makes sense it would plow better it flow and cooler temps.

YOLOrider87

The first pic are shims, those are mainly on street pads and helps supposedly eliminate brake noise (squeaks), no safety risk. Most aftermarket street/track pads don't include them. I tried installing the old shims on new EBC pads which didn't have any and had clearance issues. I was told the EBC pads i was installing did not require them so i chucked old shims into the garbage. just my 2 cents.

bmart

Control Rider
Thank you! Folks' $.02 is what I'm collecting! The B-bike has street pads with the shims on them. I've never used shims on any of my other track bikes.

The copper spring on the top is something I've always left in but noticed that a lot of guys seem to toss those too. Not sure what the pros/cons of those are...