Brake pads

Dave S

what brake pads do you guys use? I hear vesrah a lot but which ones specifically. I'm an intermediate rider who just has fun doing track days on my 09 600rr.

Thanks

YOLOrider87

I've only been through one change of brake pads after owning my 2011 CBR a little over a year and half. I went with EBC Double H sintered. They dont come with shims (not needed) but never had an issue with squeaky or grinding pads. Did 7 track days last season along with some long distance riding, never had a problem stopping, consistent bite every time, plenty of material left. I did experience some brake fade at Summit Main but I bled the front calibers and noticed some air inside my line which immediately fixed the issue after bleeding was completed. Now my CBR is strictly track only and I will do plenty of track days with N2 this season so I'll see how they hold up. I would recommend EBC.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I've only used Vesrah I like the initial bite, if you decide to go that route the Versah RJL should work fine for you.

Dave S

I've had the ebc's on my gsxr 1000 for about a year now and I do like them, but I keep hearing about the initial bite on the vesrah. I may give the vesrah a chance this time and see which I like better. Thanks for he feedback guys. Much appreciated.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I ran the ebc’s, not a fan very poor initial bite, rjl’s are good but I prefer the stock brembro’s for my rc8 better initial bite and little fade, wish I could find them in the z04 material I would love to try them as I hear they are the bomb.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Another vote for the Vesrah RJL. They're great for the track, and less expensive than the others like the XX, etc. Kurvey Girl used to have the best price on them. That reminds me, I need a set for next year!

bmart

Control Rider
Like many things motorcycling, this is up to the rider. I've had bad luck with EBC and Galfer pads' feedback. I love my Vesrah RJL pads. I like how they bite. Know that an HH pad is equal to a street pad.
new_pa5.gif

YOLOrider87

Like many things motorcycling, this is up to the rider. I've had bad luck with EBC and Galfer pads' feedback. I love my Vesrah RJL pads. I like how they bite. Know that an HH pad is equal to a street pad.
new_pa5.gif

Agree, its up to the rider and his preference. Seems like Dave has tried EBC, ill give Vesrah a try as soon as my front wears down to the point of replacement and therefor have more variety/experience under my belt. I went with EBC due to the fact that i still had one foot in & one out as far as street/track goes and i was told it was slightly a step up front street pads OEM(particular set i purchased).

What brake fluid you guys use? I hear motul rbf600 is great. I currently have Castrol DOT 4. You guys bleed your brakes after each track day?

bmart

Control Rider
I've tried a bunch of "fancy" brands of brake fluid and have always ended up at regular old blue bottle Valvoline! I clean the caliper pistons and flush the system twice a season (February before the season starts and somewhere in the middle...Julyish).

Other than a safety inspection and possible tires, you shouldn't need to go through any consumables every weekend. I've had my oil tested and it tests as perfectly fine after 1250-1750 miles, which is my change interval (depending on the time between weekends).

2blueyam

For another option, on a friend's recommendation I tried SBS pads this past year and liked them considerably better than the EBC pads I had been running. Their DC (Dual Carbon) pads are great, but beware as they don't work without some heat, so not recommend for riding in the rain.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
What brake fluid you guys use? I hear motul rbf600 is great. I currently have Castrol DOT 4. You guys bleed your brakes after each track day?
I use Motul 600 RBF, I check my braking system everytime I ride my bike, I check my master cylinder and brake lines for air bubbles then bleed accordingly...I also check my calipers and clean them accordingly as well.

bmart

Control Rider
I've never used any Vesrah but the RJL, and I'm not a very aggressive braker, preferring corner speed. I do keep meticulous logs. I am consistently 3400-4400 miles between pad changes on a set of RJLs, regardless of the bike they are on. This likely assumes that your calipers are always clean and move freely. If they stay in at all, a rider may experience fewer miles due to the brakes always having to operate with hot fluid and pads.

mpusch

Micah
Well I guess I'm in the minority. Carbone Lorraine C60s are great for the track. I had come from the XBK5s (street/track) pad, but was getting some fade from them as my pace picked up. The C60s are the dedicated track pad and are fantastic.

Hated the HHs when I had to run them for a day.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
EBC has more than one HH pad. The EPFA and GPFA pads are good. The EPFAs are the less aggressive initial bite and would last forever for me while the GPFA have a "throw you over the handle bars" initial bite. I couldn't get used to the GPFAs and they make a ton of dust.

I have run EBC, Performance Friction, Brembo, and Vesrah pads. Each manufacturer has different models for different purposes. Everybody loves Vesrah but I think the EPFA is the best pad for the money and I'm currently using Vesrah RJL XX.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have used the Vesrah RJL XX for the past few years and I love everything about them. They also wear very well. My next set will be the SS's or the 17's and only because I would like to see the difference, if any, between them and the XX's.