Brake pads

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Are the XX’s supposed to last longer than the standard RJL’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually used the Vesrah XX this past year and could really tell a difference between the XX and RJL except I found myself cleaning my calipers a lot more than usual.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I actually used the Vesrah XX this past year and could really tell a difference between the XX and RJL except I found myself cleaning my calipers a lot more than usual.
Interesting. I've been thinking about trying the XX. But, they're more expensive and I out-brake myself now!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
The topic of brake pads is worse than engine oil discussion, as it's 100% subjective and it's really up to whatever style you like. However, in general, this is my 2 cents.

XX pads - nothing stronger. Not the strongest initial bite up front, but damn the hotter they get, the more power they make. I would run nothing else but these if it wasn't for one thing - I can't trail brake worth a shit with them. I can't stand it. I'm coming into T1, apply the brake, they bite hard, harder, harder, and as I begin tip in, I try to modulate the release and I just can't. It's all or nothing. I have tried so many times to really work on focusing on the trail braking side, but no matter what, they just seem to go from full brake to nothing, with no in between. They last forever, strong as can be, but expensive, but they last forever, so in the long run, they aren't expensive.

I've used the RJL's for the last few years. Not as much outright braking power of the XX's, but damn, you can modulate these things to the smallest degree. I love the feel of them. I can apply the exact amount of trail braking I want to. No way I could out brake myself against the XX's, but ultimately, I'd rather come out of the corner faster than going into it. And the RJL's allow me to do that. I've had to adopt the YCRS "Lighter, longer" with the RJL's over the XX's.

I tried the EBC pads once, can't remember if they were the G or the EP style pads. Whichever one had the huge initial bite. I didn't like it, it gave a false sense of security. Strong initial bite, then as I would apply more brake, they got weaker on me. Hated that, was glad to dump them. Regular EBC HH type pads do not belong on a dedicated track/race bike, I cooked a set on my old ZX6 when I was in intermediate group. Blued the crap out of them and they were worthless.

Never really cared about brake dust. Brake dust is a by product of the pads working, and I clean the bike every weekend so it doesn't mean much to me. Nothing is more annoying to clean than the little rubber blots on the fairings anyways.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Interesting point, John. I've been a XX user for a long time and have struggled with the last half of trail braking. Thought it was just me (well, it's ALWAYS the user)...gonna think about switching to the plain RJL's next time and see if that makes a difference. This is what I love about this place...out of the blue comes an idea for an improvement!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
John, that was a good post. Have to think about the RJL pads a little. I'm often having way too much trouble carrying brakes to apex - seems like I'm already good with speed and direction far too early and have to drop them.

bacolmm

I switched from the RJL’s to the XX’s because I was under the impression that XX’s would last longer. I’m not sure I’ve noticed that they last longer and recently had a conversation with a rider who said the get more life out of the RJL’s? I feel like the RJL’s have a bit better initial bite, although the XX’s may have more ultimate power. I may try going back to the RJL’s

mdhokie

This thread was very interesting; thanks for the info guys. My bike I got for next season (not street legal, yet to be tested on the track) apparently has the Vesrah XX, and also comes with a second set still in package. I'll try to evaluate how it feels when I get it out there, and now at least I know what the other options are if I don't like how it feels.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I switched from the RJL’s to the XX’s because I was under the impression that XX’s would last longer. I’m not sure I’ve noticed that they last longer and recently had a conversation with a rider who said the get more life out of the RJL’s? I feel like the RJL’s have a bit better initial bite, although the XX’s may have more ultimate power. I may try going back to the RJL’s
Yeah I just ordered my RJL's, I'm good. :cool: