Brand new from South GA

WaylonW

Hi all! I am brand new to the whole "track days"/ track riding world. I have been riding bikes (mostly Harleys) for about 20 or so yrs and to this day have not stepped foot on a track. I plan on changing that very soon though. Next year I plan on purchasing my second sport bike (like a fool I let the first on go) and I want to start riding tracks and improving my skills as a rider for both street bikes and cruisers.

Problem is I don't know where to start... I mean do I need to be a member of an organization to participate in track day? Can I simply show up to watch an event in my area? I know I want to take classes but the closes one is in a different state. Anyways, I thought I'd throw this out there and maybe get some good feed back.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! You will learn a ton on the track, that will also translate to safer street riding. To ride at the track with N2, you don't have to be a member, but the cost for the day will be higher. To register for an event (as a guest or member), you'll need to create an account (it's free to do so). This is a separate account from the one you created to post on this forum.

From the main page, go to the event calendar section, it will explain the different types of memberships, should you decide to join. We have a Basic membership for $65/calendar year, and Elite, for $249/calendar year. The page will describe the benefits of each. If you're military, the Basic membership is free.

You can absolutely show up at an N2 event to watch! There shouldn't be a gate fee for spectating. Check out the event calendar to find an event at a track near you. Come hang out, introduce yourself. If you wanted to hear the rider's meeting to learn how the day is run, they start at 8:15 am. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help/answer any questions.

Warning: one track day and you'll be hooked, lol.

If you have any other questions, or I missed something, please ask! We were all beginners once.

WaylonW

Thanks so much for the response. I can see now I’m gonna be hooked. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Hi all! I am brand new to the whole "track days"/ track riding world. I have been riding bikes (mostly Harleys) for about 20 or so yrs and to this day have not stepped foot on a track. I plan on changing that very soon though. Next year I plan on purchasing my second sport bike (like a fool I let the first on go) and I want to start riding tracks and improving my skills as a rider for both street bikes and cruisers.

Problem is I don't know where to start... I mean do I need to be a member of an organization to participate in track day? Can I simply show up to watch an event in my area? I know I want to take classes but the closes one is in a different state. Anyways, I thought I'd throw this out there and maybe get some good feed back.

You already started by coming onto the forum and asking your question. Great first step. Information below is within the context of N2, but I believe much of it applies to other organizations as well.

Until you get your sport bike, you are always welcome to come out to an event. There are no fees for guests at N2 events. So come out and watch. You could even attend the riders meeting which is a wealth of knowledge and you will get a really good idea of how a track day operates. While there you can catch a coach or staff member and they will be happy to answer any questions.

Once you have your bike, you sign up for an event by creating an account in our registration system (https://my.n2td.org). You do not have to be a member to sign up and participate in an event, but if you look at what membership benefits are you will most likely find that they are well worth it. As a new rider, we also offer our Try the Track program which allows you to ride on the track for 2 sessions with a coach in our novice group for free just to experience track riding.

While our track days offer some classroom aspects to help teach fundamentals, techniques, and rules, we also offer our Advanced Training Program which is a focused program that combines classroom and on track learning with a very close to 1:1 ration with a certified instructor.

Lastly, read over the riders manual. It has a lot of good information.

https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/N2-Riders-Manual-2019.pdf

Hope this helps and I’m sure others will chime in. Keep asking questions and get ready to have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
Good idea about just coming out to spectate and ask questions. Develop a plan and ask for advice....it's free and will help avoid the usual rookie mistakes.:eek:. Search out the CRs in the pits (we wear orange shirts) and are more than happy to help with what ever we can.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Oh yeah, duh, forgot to mention the 'try the track' program. To sign up for that, you select "intro" as the riding group. You ride the first two 20 min sessions of the day for free, with the option to pay and stay the rest of the day! Anyone signed up for intro (or novice who is doing their very first day on the track) will be assigned a CR (Control Rider) to show them the race line and answer any questions. We do this for the first two sessions.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Oh yeah, duh, forgot to mention the 'try the track' program. To sign up for that, you select "intro" as the riding group. You ride the first two 20 min sessions of the day for free, with the option to pay and stay the rest of the day! Anyone signed up for intro (or novice who is doing their very first day on the track) will be assigned a CR (Control Rider) to show them the race line and answer any questions. We do this for the first two sessions.
Slight correction...to sign up for Try the Track you have to contact support and they will get you registered. You cannot sign up for intro on your own anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Slight correction...to sign up for Try the Track you have to contact support and they will get you registered. You cannot sign up for intro on your own anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks, good to know. I had no idea that changed, lol.

WaylonW

Thanks guys. Looks like there’s an event come up August 10th. Maybe I’ll see some of you guys there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk