Break pad wear?

Horty222

Getting ready for my first track day and last thing I want is to not pass tech. I feel they have lots of life left but wanted to ask for opinions. I will be in novice at Summit in August.

Attachments

• 20220711_181520.jpg
    20220711_181520.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220711_181206.jpg
    20220711_181206.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 16

Motofun352

Control Rider
Here's my technique for a quick judge of pad wear. Every time I swap tires I inspect the pads and compare them to a new set. Anything approaching 50 % on any pad and they all get tossed. I keep an old tooth brush in my tool box and give the pucks a quick scrub with some brake cleaner before slightly pushing them back in for more clearance for the new pads. This reminds me, I need to order another set of pads......

bmart

Control Rider
That is a widely used technique to check for wear on a more than adequate frequency. :)

While you have the diluted Simple Green (SG) and a toothbrush out, (if you're comfy removing and later reinstalling the pads) scrub the caliper piston edges and O-rings with the SG and toothbrush (Thermosman trick!), then reinstall the pads and calipers. You'll find much smoother and better feeling brakes after reassembly!