chain too close to rear tire

JSS

Hey everyone, I don't post much but I can't seem to find a good answer anywhere online, so here goes..

I just mounted a set of dunlop 209s today on my 06 Kawi 636 (a 190 rear, I had a 180 rear on until now...) and the distance from the chain to the tire (the point where the sidewall and tread meet) is like 1mm. Looking at my buddies 07 GSXR600, sitting right next to my bike, I can fit a finger in between the space between his chain and tire, I could maybe squeeze the thickness of a paper clip in between mine...

We've checked and rechecked everything, and the tire is mounted perfect. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I get some space between there? My chain is about 18mm wide and my buddies is 14mm (his has no o-rings, mine does), so by switching chains I could maybe buy myself 2mm of space but that still seems a bit close.

I've seen other 636's with 190 rears, did you have to do anything special or am I alone with this problem?

Thanks!

Meat

JSS;126363 wrote: Hey everyone, I don't post much but I can't seem to find a good answer anywhere online, so here goes..

I just mounted a set of dunlop 209s today on my 06 Kawi 636 (a 190 rear, I had a 180 rear on until now...) and the distance from the chain to the tire (the point where the sidewall and tread meet) is like 1mm. Looking at my buddies 07 GSXR600, sitting right next to my bike, I can fit a finger in between the space between his chain and tire, I could maybe squeeze the thickness of a paper clip in between mine...

We've checked and rechecked everything, and the tire is mounted perfect. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I get some space between there? My chain is about 18mm wide and my buddies is 14mm (his has no o-rings, mine does), so by switching chains I could maybe buy myself 2mm of space but that still seems a bit close.

I've seen other 636's with 190 rears, did you have to do anything special or am I alone with this problem?

Thanks!
I ride the same bike with a 190 rear (D211) or 195 rear (N-Tec Slick) without any problem. The chain is very close to the tire but never had a problem with the chain contacting the tire.

I have also run the D209’s on there as well, with no problem.

If your rear wheel is aligned properly and you have the correct wheel spacers it shouldn't contact the rear tire.

I will be at VIR-South this Saturday. If you are there and still concerned, then stop by and see me and we will figure out the issue. My leathers have "MEAT" on the back, as does my pearl green 2005 zx-6r (yellow number plates with 636 on them).

eE jeremy

Yeah unfortunately our bikes don't space the chain very far away from the wheel. It's not the easiest bike to put a 190 on. And it's not like you can even go down to a smaller chain, they come stock with 520 chains.

Meat

eE jeremy;126490 wrote: Yeah unfortunately our bikes don't space the chain very far away from the wheel. It's not the easiest bike to put a 190 on. And it's not like you can even go down to a smaller chain, they come stock with 520 chains.
I think of it like this: If the chain were farther away from the tire, then the transmission output shaft and also distance from the sprocket to the contact patch would be farther (inboard-outboard) and both would cause higher stresses in existing parts which would require adding more weight to compensate. So everything being tight and close, related to the distance between the applied force and the reaction, is a very good thing for being light....bad thing for working on.

JSS

Thanks for the responses and for putting my mind more at ease, it still just seems way to close, but I suppose that's just how it'll be. I'm still going to get a skinnier 520 chain I think, for another 2mm of space. Not that it neccessarily matters, but can I ask what chains you guys have on your bikes? My buddies gsxr has a DID ER series chain, which like I said is 4mm skinnier (side to side) than mine, ill probably look to try that.

Thanks again!

Meat

JSS;126544 wrote: Thanks for the responses and for putting my mind more at ease, it still just seems way to close, but I suppose that's just how it'll be. I'm still going to get a skinnier 520 chain I think, for another 2mm of space. Not that it neccessarily matters, but can I ask what chains you guys have on your bikes? My buddies gsxr has a DID ER series chain, which like I said is 4mm skinnier (side to side) than mine, ill probably look to try that.

Thanks again!
As long as the tire doesn't hit the chain, you should be good. There are a bunch of 636's out there running 190 and 195 rears, probably even a few running a 200, not sure. There won't be much distance between the tire and the chain. It is designed that way.

I fully understand being overly sensitive to things you aren't used to. We all are. But, without seeing your bike, I am guessing it is fine. My bike is presently at the shop so I can't measure the distance between my tire and chain but it is safe to say that it is very close.

I run a ZZZ chain in a 520, which is discontinued and I got a screaming deal on it. But, you really don't need that level of chain. Now, if you just want a cool and overly strong and expensive chain, then by all means get a bad azz chain, but you will soon find the need to spend money on other things.

I think the 05-06 ZX6R’s come with 520 chains, but I could be wrong. It will probably have "520" written on some of the links somewhere.

Meat

Oh, and if next time you put the subject something like "636 chain too close to tire" (or maybe zx6r instead oof 636) you will get a flood of guys (probably some chicks too) telling you about their 636 tire to chain distance.

JSS

Well, I suppose I'll go as is for a day and keep an eye on it, I'm sure it's fine too, just slightly paranoid I suppose. Thanks again!

Oh and I won't be at VIR-S this Sat, but thanks for the offer, much appreciated!

stow

The counter sprocket had to be placed closer in to the engine in order to relieve stress on the transmission components. If they space the counter sprocket further out you would only get 500 miles on a Kawi transmission instead of the typical 1000 miles. :dunno:

Sorry, someone had to say it. :D

stow

JSS;126684 wrote: Wow that's harsh >.<

=P
Sorry, but this is pretty much fact with the Kawi transmission. Those things grenade pretty quickly. Get a quickshifter and the Factory Pro shift kit and it will help extend the life of the transmission on the Kawi.

If it makes you feel any better I just had the transmission on my 08 R6 completely rebuilt. :banghead:

JSS

I have yet to hear much of anything good about my bike =(
My buddy with the gsxr had an 05 zx6rr and his engine blew before he had 2000 miles on the thing (all on the track, but still) so I have to endure constant kawi bashing on his part...

I've got 4k miles (the last 2k is track only) on mine, no issues yet... *crosses fingers*

JSS

Yea the wheel is set perfectly, checked it quite a few times, I'm still pretty new to all this but my friend certainly isn't and he did most the work, it seems it's just a close fit. Next time I'm at the track I'm gonna find another 636 with a 190 and take a peek...

BigBird

this pic is from another forum

29d8mmo.jpg

is it like this? then it should be fine...