Changing clutch plates in an '03 zx6 636...

beevan217

I have an '03 636 with over 26k miles on it. I have been having slippage issues with while trying to accelerate out of corners. I spoke with "THE PROFESSOR" about it & he concluded that it needs new clutch plates. My questions are: (1) Is it difficult to do myself or should I take it to a shop? (2) I saw a complete kit online (Vesrah) for $283.99, is that expensive? (3) What are "dogs" & would that also affect my bike?

A little more info on issue:

While accelerating, bike misses shifts, goes to redline almost instantly in gear 3 under HARD acceleration. 4th gear screams then S L O W L Y starts building speed. Same with gear 5. I adjusted clutch knob on handle bars (also, just changed levers to a different aftermarket brand (starts with a "P"). Put in Rotella T oil in bike prior to track day in July@VIR when I first noticed issue. Last year, the bike would pull without any issues. I figured missed shifts were just me not apply enough pressure on shifter (could still part of problem but not main issue). Could it be a combo of all?? Type of oil, old clutch plates, lever knob not properly adjusted, worn dogs???

I'm looking for advice on all of these matters. Hope someone can add more insight & a proper direction & recourse to follow. Thanks in advance

:banghead:

have an '03 636 with over 26k miles on it. I have been having slippage issues with while trying to accelerate out of corners. I spoke with "THE PROFESSOR" about it & he concluded that it needs new clutch plates.

My questions are: (1) Is it difficult to do myself or should I take it to a shop? No it's not that hard, just make plenty of space for the job, so you can set the piece out in the sequence you removed them in.
start from left to right and remove the cover, bolts, pressure plate, so on and so forth. Just make sure you put everything back in the same place you removed it. it you have any issue feel free to email me ajcycleperf@netzero.com.

(2) I saw a complete kit online (Vesrah) for $283.99, is that expensive? Sounds kinda expensive the cost should be 258.95 but everythings there, the vesrah kit should include: clutch pack, steels, and a new gasket.

(3) What are "dogs" & would that also affect my bike? they are engagement dogs for the tranny. the missed shifts as you call it, are probably a result of improper shifting among other things. Can't say for sure, cause we don't know your riding style. the cause would be what you're speaking of JUMPING OUT OF GEAR

A better way to make sure you have 2 seperate issue is to shift in to the gear in ? and slowly accellerate towards redline if there is a problem the bike should jump out of gear, or buck/jerk.

again you have my email try it out and give me a shout if you feel like it.

beevan217

thanks for the input. I figured the missed shifts were my fault. It doesn't jump out of gear, just kept bouncing off rev limiter as I attempt to upshift. I guess I'm not applying enough pressure to shifter.

The complete set was as follows:

steel plates, fiber plates, springs & gasket.

The price was from a website motorcycle-superstore.com. If anyone has a better place to purchase from please forward.

Thanks again & I will hold on to your email address in case I run into any snags once I purchase parts.

Quantum_Ape

Just an FYI, I personally had a bad experience with motorcycle superstore. I personally would try parts@nesba.com to see whats available there. If not satisfied, bikebandit.com has been ok on and off. The rest I've dealt with are hit or miss on service and prices.

Hope that helps