Clutch Pressure Plate Abnormal Wear?

chris1KRR

Hey all!

2012 CBR 1000rr w/ slipper clutch

At the end of a recent track day my clutch started making a knocking sound when clutch was released slightly, no throttle applied (doesn't happen in neutral).So I decided to replace the clutch plates and during the process I noticed this on the upper right side of the pressure plate. Is this normal or abnormal wear? If abnormal, what can cause this type of wear?

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks!

image2.JPG image1.JPG

tdelegram

Control Rider
I have done many dirt bike but never a street bike, I have seen similar marks and i think they are from the top (12:00 position) of the clutch when the bike is stored for a longer period where the clutch plates dry out and stick to the pressure plate. Usually the first time I click into gear on my dirtbike after the winter storage I need to rev it a little to break the plates free or it will stall. I am just guessing here, maybe some one actually knows what they are talking about.

chris1KRR

Haven't taken plates out yet, waiting for clutch tool to arrive in mail on Wednesday. This isn't saying much, but looking in from the outside I can see nothing unusual going on with the plates. Can I just forgo waiting for the clutch tool and remove the nut?

As far as FOD Ive drained the oil / checked oil pan and found nothing of any concern. Trauma on the other hand might be something to think about as I've had 4 low sides just on that right side. Corrosion not likely. Bike has just under 7k miles and oil is replaced every 3-4 days.

physicistkev

Control Rider
That looks like machining/forging to me. Like the part was made that way. If you look at the large square notch to the left, it has the same rough edge. The marks are also non-uniform. They don't all go the same direction or seem to be caused by a rotating motion. I don't think your noise and these marks are linked and I don't think they are a problem.

YMMV as Internet troubleshooting is sketchy at best.