CR's in A group. . .

bmart

Control Rider
My $.02. CRs work hard to keep track days running safely from being on duty early to help riders, to run tech and registration, and then to coach all day on track and in the pits between sessions. I've been doing track days since the 90s and have seen the advanced group as a reward for coaches who aren't too tired to use it to enjoy riding in.

Still, I've never seen a coach turn anyone down when they were asked for some help in A. There's something seriously wrong with me as I usually ride all three session, coaching in the first two, on my track days. I'm always happy to follow someone around in A and then lead them a bit...then talk in the pits. I suspect that most CRs are the same.

I've thought about this over the years and always end up in the same place. What's the harm with the coaches wearing their shirts in A group with the same passing rules for everyone in that group. No need for a wave-by in A. It would let riders know that it is a coach when you point to your tail after you go by.

ar556

All right, who was this CR that said you have nothing left to learn? I will hunt them down and punish them accordingly! ;-)

Seriously though. The CR in A group has not materialized but as a member you can always seek out a CR for help during a session. Also, ATP is absolutely open to A group riders and we encourage joining in.

We ALL continue to learn. Even the GP guys continue to hone their skills.

Don't hesitate to reach out at your next event. When will you be out again?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ll just say he was a BIG guy, haha. I knew what he meant by it though, I had learned just about all I was going to in the I group. It was fun being the “fast guy” for a while, but I wasn’t getting any faster without other people to chase around and attempt to keep up with. I have all of that I can ask for now.

I’ll be back out later this month at Pitt Race.

My $.02. CRs work hard to keep track days running safely from being on duty early to help riders, to run tech and registration, and then to coach all day on track and in the pits between sessions. I've been doing track days since the 90s and have seen the advanced group as a reward for coaches who aren't too tired to use it to enjoy riding in.

Still, I've never seen a coach turn anyone down when they were asked for some help in A. There's something seriously wrong with me as I usually ride all three session, coaching in the first two, on my track days. I'm always happy to follow someone around in A and then lead them a bit...then talk in the pits. I suspect that most CRs are the same.

I've thought about this over the years and always end up in the same place. What's the harm with the coaches wearing their shirts in A group with the same passing rules for everyone in that group. No need for a wave-by in A. It would let riders know that it is a coach when you point to your tail after you go by.

I’ve always kind of assumed the same thing about the A sessions being “fun time” for the CRs. Probably the reason I’ve never really approached one since getting bumped. Maybe it could be an optional thing for the shirts in A sessions for the ones who want to offer up their time. I’m sure a lap or 2 with some feedback at the end of the session would be plenty to get me thinking about/working on some new things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I would encourage anyone in "A" group to come and ask for some help! I would love to get out there and give some advice on how we can improve! If you see me "Lenny"at a trackday please ask for the tow, and them we'll have some fun learning!;):sneaky:

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
In the past, we have assigned a CR to coach in the Advanced Group at events we have plenty of help in I and N. We would love to do it "Officially" at every event but like others have noted, I don't know a single CR who would say no to anyone asking for some feedback. When we do this, we usually go out without Orange Shirts on so nobody gets confused. It has worked out well in the past. Looking at the signups for our next weekend at PittRace in 2 weeks we should have enough help to make this happen.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Also, regarding the bold portion, is ATP not available for A group riders? I took it once before and the improvements I made on that day alone were awesome. I had been kicking around the idea of taking another one soon.

Andy,

ATP is indeed available for A group riders but was not originally when we first started the program. We wanted to give ourselves a chance to cater to the N and I riders, "refine" the product and then offer it to the A group. We started offering it to A group last season and have also been cultivating a number of coaches through the YCRS 3C program (Champions Certified Coach), ones that guest instruct for YCRS and will be available for hire, too.

For those that are interested, you can also consider 1:1 training with YCRS and have someone like a Ben Walters or Chris Peris come in and instruct you for an entire day.

Lastly, we are finalizing a 1:1 N2 program where members can hire a 3C instructor for the day. We'll announce this service in the coming weeks.

But as for grabbing a CR and going and putting your head down for a session or two, just ask and I'm sure a number of us will gladly help.

Last edited: