Do I need numbers?

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Yes, it makes things a lot easier for the CR's and track officials to identify riders if you need a talkin' to.
Also it makes the photographer's life a lot easier when sorting the day's photos.

>number decals on the bike.

It doesn't have to be fancy, you can make numbers out of painters tape for example.

bmart

Control Rider
...or a compliment. :)

Many folks use painters tape, electrical tape, or similar. #s are available pretty cheap at places like Cycle Gear.

I'm not suggesting my low bar, but here is one from my low bar.

443-17n1200.jpg

I coincidentally picked 22, the year of my retirement. It just so happened to be Blake Davis’ number (MotoAmerica 2022 Twins Cup champion).

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Numbers are used by the corner worker to aide in identifying crashes and last bike on track for the end of the session. Make them big, with contrasting colors. 4" tall gray numbers on a black background is not a good idea.

I work at race events and, when corner-working for motorcycle track day events, I can honestly say that bike numbers on about 40-50% of the track bikes fail the visibility test. Don't be in that half.

The best plate and number configuration is:

- yellow or white background plate
- black numbers 6 inches high, 1 inch wide and spaced about an inch between numbers
- there should be at least an inch of plate area between the numbers and the plate's edge (for more contrast)
- plate numbers should be visible while rider is sitting on the bike

These are actually rules for some motorcycle racing orgs. Just a suggestion for track days.

High contrast is what makes your bike number readable from afar. Standing 6 feet from your bike doesn't cut it.

That is no joke. And, please, don't use the gold "mailbox" number plates from your local hardware store. :)

A corner worker or other track official should be able to read your plate numbers from 7-10 car lengths away (about 150 feet). Sun, glare, reflection and bike at lean angle make that task more difficult.

Use other high contrast colors for tracks if you wish. It's your right to deviate. I will just ask that you do the readability test standing 150-feet (10 car lengths) from your bike.

Thank you in advance!

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
If you're referring to participating in a novice level cycling event or race, it's best to check with the specific event organizer or governing body to see if number decals are required for novice participants. In some cases, novice participants may not be required to have number decals, while in other events they may be required to have them for identification purposes. It's important to follow the rules and regulations set by the event organizer or governing body to ensure a safe and fair competition for all participants.
Are you a scammer or a troll? This makes two threads where you offered info that amount to go look it up.