Does this prove Shoei is inferior to Arai?

finny47

While participating in the BigMeanie 2009 Craptacular while at Barber on Sunday, I had a get off between T9 & 10 after making my first ever sprocket change from 48 to 46 Sunday morning. Too busy looking at tach to see difference with 46 when I should have had my head up.

I've been a Shoei guy for many years, but after this latest get off where I landed on my face, not sure I'm a fan anymore. Take a look at these pics on my X-11. The shield barely has a nic on it, must have popped off immediately. Is this unusual?

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Maybe you didnt have it locked down??

Some who have switched between shoei and arai may have differing opinions, but i have heard that Shoei has better wind aerodynamics than that of Arai

stow

My Arai shield pipped off in my wreck last year. I am not a fan of the Arai shield system.

Andrei

finny47;75802 wrote: While participating in the BigMeanie 2009 Craptacular while at Barber on Sunday, I had a get off between T9 & 10 after making my first ever sprocket change from 48 to 46 Sunday morning. Too busy looking at tach to see difference with 46 when I should have had my head up.

I've been a Shoei guy for many years, but after this latest get off where I landed on my face, not sure I'm a fan anymore. Take a look at these pics on my X-11. The shield barely has a nic on it, must have popped off immediately. Is this unusual?
the helmet is designed to protect your head , not the visor.

finny47

I have the faceshield in the full down position and the lever for the anti-fog was closed. I always make sure my shield is completely secure on hot pit.
I have an Arai for my girlfriend so I'm familiar with that lock mechanism. My Shoei doesn't have that.

Gron4

Visors seem to be a problem in a majority of crashes I've seen/photo'd. Popping off, flipping open, etc.

Heck, look what happened to Ferrari F1 driver Felipe Massa.

finny47

That isn't a lock that is the anti-fog. If you lift that level, it slighly lifts opens the clutch side to clear fog. Quite handy on Putnam mornings.

finny47

You're right! If that lever is clicked up one notch it does lock! I just didn't lock it. Good thing nothing worse that the lid popping off and a little dirt in the mouth. Hopefully other Shoei helmet owners will see this post.

Thanks guys!

Corn Fed

Last year I got off wearing an AGV TiTech. Landed on my face, the shield popped off. I think that might be the weak point of any helmet.

Kawtipping

I had a Suomy do the same thing in my last crash. No matter what the brand of the helmet, with the right kind of impact the shield will come off. If that is the worst that happens, I would be more than happy with the outcome!

Burnall4

you didn't have it locked down, like lemon said.

I went from an Arai to a Shoei, and I love my shoei some much more than my Arai!

Matt

i just rode an hour up north and back tonight with my arai on.

about 20 minutes into the trip i was wishing i had my shoei, but i don't have a clear visor for the shoei.

Can't say enough about the Shoei X-11 . . . a well designed . . . well constructed . . . piece of equipment/art.

. . . it's difficult to find anything wrong with it.

Meat

finny47;75857 wrote: You're right! If that lever is clicked up one notch it does lock! I just didn't lock it. Good thing nothing worse that the lid popping off and a little dirt in the mouth. Hopefully other Shoei helmet owners will see this post.

Thanks guys!
That actually made me chuckle out loud. I have an X-Eleven for the street and I kept saying to myself, "he didn't lock it down." then I came across this post. Funny how we have stuff that we never knew we had.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
I am no expert, but maybe it is a safety thing. Would rather have the visor pop off than crack and slash my eyeball

Landshark

Control Rider
That visor will still pop off locked. Mine did when I slid on my face at about 100mph and the flipped a few times landing on my face yet again. I had so much sand and dirt in my hair and face I looked like I escaped a mine collapse. I never blacked out and I didn't even have a head ache. Though I did have a few tender spots. No substitute for good gear!

nickmick

My smoke shield for my AGV GP-Tech came with screws so you can secure the shield to the helmet to avoid coming off in a crash. It still allows the shield to open/close. i'm not describing it well, when i get home I'll take a picture...