Dunlop Q3+/Q4 Pressures

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Hi all,

I have a Dunlop chart from 2018 that lists recommended pressures but it is incomplete. It says:

Tire​
Size​
Cold​
Hot​
Q4​
120/70​
30-32​
34-36​
Q4​
180/60​
28-32​
34-36​
Q3+​
110/70​
33​
35​
Q3+​
140/70​
??​
??​

Is this data still correct, and does anyone know the recommendations for the 140/70 Q3+? Asking specifically for RRR in March, if it matters.

bmart

Control Rider
Just prior to this, when the Q3 was out, I tested all of the rear sizes (180, 190/50, 190/55) arcoss a wide variety of pressures to determine best grip/wear characteristics. The 190/55 was the absolute ticket for grip, and off of the warmers ~180F I used 35.5 PSI, around 26-28 cold depending on the ambient temps. They were superb and I ran some of my fastest lap times on that rear tire paired with a race front...faster than on my Dunlop race rear. The Q3+ and Q4 are both "better."

I never ran the street fronts as the race front seem to grow on trees...

I can help even less on the smaller sizes. When I ran the 400 on the track back in 2019, Dunlop suggested:

Front Suggested Hot Tire Pressures: Hot on the warmers 35 psi. Suggested Cold Tire Pressures: Cold 33 psi.
Rear Suggested Hot Tire Pressures: Hot on the warmers 26 psi. Suggested Cold Tire Pressures: Cold 24 psi.

The temp changes from cold to hot is FAR more than the 2 PSI suggested on any tires I've ever used from any manufacturer, so something isn't right there.

I recommend that you contact Dunlop Racing or our vendor for the best answer.

JustAnotherSquid

And thanks for the info. I also thought the temperature rise was odd. But it's what Dunlop put on their chart!

edit - here's a copy of what I have. Hopefully the vendor or someone in the know has newer information.

Attachments

• 2019-Road-Race-Tech-Data.pdf
    246.6 KB · Views: 16

bmart

Control Rider
If you post in the regular forum area (not sure which would be best, N2 Paddock or Tech) the folks on the smaller bikes may be able to provide guidance.

Shifty10

Control Rider
I also thought the temperature rise was odd. But it's what Dunlop put on their chart!

Just want to be sure I understand what you mean by "temperature rise". When they say hot/cold on the tire chart, they are referring to whether or not the tire is hot (e.g. on warmers or straight off track) vs just rolling the bike off the truck. It is NOT a reference to the temperature outside.

My apologies if I understood you incorrectly.

JustAnotherSquid

Temperature rise in this context is the difference between cold tire temp and hot tire temp. Twenty years ago it was an important metric in dialing in the correct pressure but I guess methodology has gotten better since then.

In any event, a two degree rise seems awfully low. Maybe it's because the bikes running a 110/70 front don't weigh anything. :D

bmart

Control Rider
My tires coming off of the track in a non coaching setting are normally right around warmer temps, ~180 with an 8 PSI rise from ambient temps 70s/80s. Other folks?

JustAnotherSquid

I just realized I was saying 'temperature rise' instead of 'pressure rise' and that would lead to confusion on any reader's part. Shifty (and anyone else), you have my apologies!

I've been told that mixing up words is a sure sign of getting old. At least I think that's what I've been told; it's hard to remember things anymore.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Let's try this again, but with less dementia:

Temperature rise Pressure rise in this context is the difference between cold tire temp pressure and hot tire temp pressure. Twenty years ago it was an important metric in dialing in the correct pressure but I guess methodology has gotten better since then.

In any event, a two degree psi rise seems awfully low. Maybe it's because the bikes running a 110/70 front don't weigh anything. :D

Not sure what my malfunction was. Getting old sucks! At least I think it does. What color is today, again?

bmart

Control Rider
Today is grey...like like every other day in my memory.We need spring and track days...and we need them fast!

(And you wonder why I want to lead or follow you from a distance on our street rides? lol)

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
See Attached PDF's Might be helpful to you.

Attachments

• Road Race Tech Data Track Day Q tires 2021.pdf
    79.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Road Race Tech Data Slicks & Rain 2021.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 26

JustAnotherSquid

Just noticed that even in the 2021 charts, the Q3+ 140/70 pressure info is missing. If anyone has any input on that let me know!

Thanks again Slitherin. Already printed them out, laminated them, and stuck them in the notebook. :like:

King Air Pilot

Death Valley Days
my experience with the Q4's at my last race event at Barber, I'll set them at the prescribed psi, then chk after a race practice run, typically, for me on the R1, it'll increase up to 34-36 psi, I'll leave em there, go run, then bleed them down a lb or two. Keep in mind, for those who are competing, the tires will wear quicker, and ball up like normal, but keep it above 30psi, should be gtg. Also, Dunlop says no tire warmers needed, which is true, but for those competing on these tires in lieu of race rubber, I used them anyway, tire did not fell greasy or detrimental.

JustAnotherSquid

Thanks KAP! I've done five track days on Q4s now and am loving them. As billed, they heat up fast, stick great, and don't last. :D

I've been starting at 31/31 cold and that gives right around 36 hot and seems to work well for me. Also like you, I've found they can still be a bit greasy on the first lap if it's cool out, and have been using warmers on low (135F) before going out in the morning sessions. Once ambient temp gets above ~75 the warmers don't seem particularly necessary as long as you don't go crazy on the first lap.

Last edited:

King Air Pilot

Death Valley Days
your welcome JAS. Funny though, I used to ride with NESBA back in the wild cat days of early 2000. When them and TPM were the thing, and Cornerspeed just started out as well. I was running AVON tyres, which! were not that bad, but I began racing under Team Hammer thru their CCS/WERA program in those days, and AVON went ahd and sponsored me. I was the only knucklehead running those tyres. Hell, they were free, why not? I did pretty well on the various iterations of their race compound tyres. No matter, I won a few here and there under their brand, sent me umbrellas, promotional stuff, stacks of tyres in those days, had to attend a couple Cycle World shows up in DC, lost of fun and exposure. Now Im old as hell (62) but still turning 1:35's at VIR north!! Woo hoo!

mcpeteypetepete

Hey guys just thought I would share an anecdote. I talked to the Dunlop tire guy at Pitt Race last weekend about this very thing since I just put fresh Q3+ tires on my R3. He said that the default 140 pressures would be the same as the 150 pressures via that chart. Obviously there is some wiggle room based on ambient / track temp but that's the best answer I got on this topic.