Dunlop USA N-TEC Slicks ... Thinking about switching from Pirelli

buzz-06

I was gonna type a long winded post but I'll keep it short.

Front - hard as a rock, definitely need to be carrying some pace if you want to get feedback outta this tire. If you run the medium you need pace regardless or it won't have any heat which means no grip. The soft front is easier to keep heat in and offers feedback a tad sooner in my experience. Pressures are important

Rear - once again they are hard, it's not gonna squish and wiggle like the pirelli. When it starts to wiggle that's cause it's sliding, keep feeding the throttle it'll be ok. The new medium + is supposed to offer good grip and longevity but I haven't run it yet so I can't say for sure. Once again pressures are important, 23 off the warmers is good starting point, drop as low as 20 for desired grip level.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Personally, FWIW, this is a huge "it depends". It depends on......

• What is your pace? If you're not carrying speed into and out of corners (not just on the fat part of the tire down the straights), then the NTEC (not GPA Pro) Dunlop isn't bad, but the Pirelli will be a little safer IMHO. Particularly in the early spring (especially this year) and late fall, track temps can be a bit low and the GPA is gonna need to be pushed to keep heat in the carcass to make it perform. Once that heat is there, and assuming it STAYS there (again, pace - not tire warmers), the GPA is a great tire.
  • Purpose: If you need to feel comfortable going out and coaching a Novice session, doing some feedback in Hot Pit after that session, and then trying to take advantage of what's left of the A session right after by pulling your shirt off and going right back out, the GPA front isn't necessarily your friend. That tire will be cold and you won't have much session time left to heat it up in the A group. I really don't think the rear is that much of an issue - particularly for those of us on rubber chomping R1s. But the front won't hold heat at a Novice pace, and it'll lose even the warmth sitting at the exit talking to a rider - then you're going out on a really cold tire that needs a lot of heat to be grippy.
  • I do think that while I love the Pirellis, the GPAs in particular wear a bit better.

gcally

Greg Callahan #11
Personally, FWIW, this is a huge "it depends". It depends on......

• What is your pace? If you're not carrying speed into and out of corners (not just on the fat part of the tire down the straights), then the NTEC (not GPA Pro) Dunlop isn't bad, but the Pirelli will be a little safer IMHO. Particularly in the early spring (especially this year) and late fall, track temps can be a bit low and the GPA is gonna need to be pushed to keep heat in the carcass to make it perform. Once that heat is there, and assuming it STAYS there (again, pace - not tire warmers), the GPA is a great tire.

With no traffic I did a couple 1:50 laps at Pit Race last year on my 750 but still could not nail down the newer south track.

I am going to get a set of Dunlop’s and throw them on my spare wheels for the May Pitt Race weekend.

What compound’s would you recommend? The Dunlop guy said med front med+ rear. He said the newer style med+ rear were so close to a medium rear it made no sense to get a med at any track day pace.

buzz-06

With no traffic I did a couple 1:50 laps at Pit Race last year on my 750 but still could not nail down the newer south track.

I am going to get a set of Dunlop’s and throw them on my spare wheels for the May Pitt Race weekend.

What compound’s would you recommend? The Dunlop guy said med front med+ rear. He said the newer style med+ rear were so close to a medium rear it made no sense to get a med at any track day pace.

I haven't ridden it but I heard the same thing regarding the medium + rear.....the medium front is good but you definitely need to work it a little. I found the soft front worked well in most conditions and was easier to keep heat in.

gcally

Greg Callahan #11
I ended up buying a set of Med/Med+ Dunlop's to try out on my spare wheels. Nothing like trying 2 different tire brands and brand new bike all in the same weekend..... Not the smartest idea.

bmart

Control Rider
Looking forward to your review/comparison! I'm a Dunlop guy. Spooned a pair of Q3+ on the 400 last week and the VFR is getting a set of RoadSmart II tonight.

gcally

Greg Callahan #11
I was watching the MotoAmerica VIR round on TV and heard Greg White say that Dunlop is coming out with a new 200 tire for the next round.
Does anyone have details on what the changes are?

tdelegram

Control Rider
I was watching the MotoAmerica VIR round on TV and heard Greg White say that Dunlop is coming out with a new 200 tire for the next round.
I heard that too, I think it’s a 50 profile instead of a 55.

Kurt_Orban

I heard that too, I think it’s a 50 profile instead of a 55.
Oh shit, now we're really gonna get jacked up with ride height and all kinds of traction control questions. As soon as the 50 comes out, it'll be good for at least 500 forum arguments.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
From Facebook today:
Brad Burns It’s a 200/60 rear the new spec tire on big bikes. It’s a bigger tire and has a lot more edge grip.

bmart

Control Rider
Edge grip is for throttle monkeys! Okay, everyone loves more grip, but i'm years away from using tires made this year. :)

pajixxer

Brad Burns
Control Rider

200/60

It’s a big back tire.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have been using the Pirelli 200/60 for the past two seasons. Sorry Dunlop, it's not a new tire, you are just catching up to what Pirelli has been doing for some time. Reminds me of when Harley Davidson finally came out with a radiator on a bike (V-ROD) and everyone thought it was an incredible innovation. DOH!!!

Last edited:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I have been using the Pirelli 200/60 for the past two seasons. Sorry Dunlop, it's not a new tire, you are just catching up to what Pirelli has been doing for some time. Reminds me of when Harley Davidson finally came out with a radiator on a bike (V-ROD) and everyone thought it was an incredible innovation. DOH!!!
I’m with Jim nothing new here, Pirelli also has provided the 180/60 for years now.

bmart

Control Rider
But...you guys know that those numbers mean very little right? A 180 isn't a 180 isn't a 180. Then there's profile. Let's see what they come up with and try it.

gcally

Greg Callahan #11
Update from my switch to Dunlops. Tire wear and grip was awesome.

I was a little bit worried after Saturday because I cold tore a Med rear (temps were really cold first session).
Put the Med+ on for Sunday and could not be happier with tire wear and grip level. I was able to get into the 1:49's by the end of Sunday.

Soft front has 2 days on it and Med+ rear has one full day on it.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 26
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg