Dunlop Valve Stem Marker

TProc

is it true that Dunlop marks its tires with a dot, or triangle, on the side wall of the tire to locate where the tire is mounted on the rim in reference to the valve stem to provide a better balance with less wheel weights????

withoutequal

I usually line them up when mounting my tires, but i have noticed the tire will move on the rim. I use no-mar lube when mounting, which is supposed to evaporate and not let the tire shift. Do you think it moving from the place it was balanced will affect it much? its a couple of inches in movement.

andykurz

EDIT: (did I misread) did you say it moves after you have set the bead and ridden the tire???

I don't think it makes a huge difference. Note the gist of the article above.

When changing though, before you set the bead, you should be able to rotate the tire a little on the rim to align the marking with the valve stem opening if you are off by a few inches. For me, it is impossible to hit the mark dead on without spinning the tire a little.

If you are having a hard time, try to compress the tire so the bead is down in the valley of the rim. Use the nomar yellow things or similar tools as well.

But all in all, the dot doesn't matter that much. I do it because OCD.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
withoutequal;288734 wrote: I usually line them up when mounting my tires, but i have noticed the tire will move on the rim. I use no-mar lube when mounting, which is supposed to evaporate and not let the tire shift. Do you think it moving from the place it was balanced will affect it much? its a couple of inches in movement.
Yes. But it's a subjective question, and there's no definite answer. It's going to be different for every single different tire and rim.

And when you mount tires, try lubing just the sides of the bead - not the edge of the bead. I've found that greatly reduces the amount the tire will "spin" on the rim.

withoutequal

andykurz;288742 wrote: EDIT: (did I misread) did you say it moves after you have set the bead and ridden the tire???

I don't think it makes a huge difference. Note the gist of the article above.

When changing though, before you set the bead, you should be able to rotate the tire a little on the rim to align the marking with the valve stem opening if you are off by a few inches. For me, it is impossible to hit the mark dead on without spinning the tire a little.

If you are having a hard time, try to compress the tire so the bead is down in the valley of the rim. Use the nomar yellow things or similar tools as well.

But all in all, the dot doesn't matter that much. I do it because OCD.
Right, after mounting and riding the tire, i see a small shift.

Otto Man;288781 wrote:
Yes. But it's a subjective question, and there's no definite answer. It's going to be different for every single different tire and rim.

And when you mount tires, try lubing just the sides of the bead - not the edge of the bead. I've found that greatly reduces the amount the tire will "spin" on the rim.
I havent felt any issues with the rear, but thought I would ask. I'll be more careful where i lube and the amount i use, see if that makes a difference.

andykurz

Good suggestion Otto.

Also try wiping some of the lube off prior to setting the bead. Again, with both beads on the rim, but not set, you still have the opportunity to wipe down or rotate the tire.

withoutequal

andykurz;288803 wrote: Good suggestion Otto.

Also try wiping some of the lube off prior to setting the bead. Again, with both beads on the rim, but not set, you still have the opportunity to wipe down or rotate the tire.
:idea:

z064life

withoutequal;288799 wrote: Right, after mounting and riding the tire, i see a small shift.

I havent felt any issues with the rear, but thought I would ask. I'll be more careful where i lube and the amount i use, see if that makes a difference.
do NOT ever put lube on the bead or the lip of the rim.

Lube should go on the center of the rim to aid in setting the bead and the underside of the tire lip to help get it over the rim. At NO time should lube ever be in contact with the bead itself.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
z064life;288841 wrote: do NOT ever put lube on the bead or the lip of the rim.

Lube should go on the center of the rim to aid in setting the bead and the underside of the tire lip to help get it over the rim. At NO time should lube ever be in contact with the bead itself.
You do realize that the beads still come in contact with the center of the rim when you're mounting them, right? It's impossible to get the second bead over the rim fully without putting the opposite end of the tire in the center of the rim...

z064life

Otto Man;288852 wrote: You do realize that the beads still come in contact with the center of the rim when you're mounting them, right? It's impossible to get the second bead over the rim fully without putting the opposite end of the tire in the center of the rim...
The edge of the tire (thickness) that touches the center of the rim isn't the bead.

borislav

Control Rider
z064life;288854 wrote: The edge of the tire (thickness) that touches the center of the rim isn't the bead.
My friend you try to mount car tires especially low profile tires with out lube you are in some serious exercise, not even to mention that you can damage the bead realy easy! Now motorcycle tires are even stiffer!!!;)

Lonewrench

Our folks at Dunlop U.S. have been adressong this issue for a while. We use a tire soap to mount rubber at the AMA rounds and I just use soapy water at my shop. The fact of the matter is that Dunlop has been tightening the bead and monitoring the wheel spinning on the rim for a while. The tolerances have become quite tight as of late too. I would guess,if your wheel is not clean especially on the inside and rubber free you will certainly have tire spin. This is especially an issue with hard brakers as the front will spin as well then the tire WILL be out of balance. An easy way to avaoid this is to simply keep your wheels clean,inside and out.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
borislav;289085 wrote: My friend you try to mount car tires especially low profile tires with out lube you are in some serious exercise, not even to mention that you can damage the bead rely easy! Now motorcycle tires are even stiffer!!!;)
I worked as a grease monkey for a number of years, and probably have mounted/balanced 2-3,000 car tires. While still not nearly a subject matter expert on them, I'd like to think I know a thing or two on how to mount tires. Done quite a bit of sport bike tire changes with my Harbor Freight unit over the past couple of years. I completely agree with you that you need some kind of lube to mount tires, I just didn't feel like arguing over it. :cool:

borislav

Control Rider
Otto Man;289137 wrote: I worked as a grease monkey for a number of years, and probably have mounted/balanced 2-3,000 car tires. While still not nearly a subject matter expert on them, I'd like to think I know a thing or two on how to mount tires. Done quite a bit of sport bike tire changes with my Harbor Freight unit over the past couple of years. I completely agree with you that you need some kind of lube to mount tires, I just didn't feel like arguing over it. :cool:
I worked 10 years in dealership as a mechanic = many tires mounted!
I hear you my brother about not arguing over it BUT I can't keep my mouth shut when somebody is putting out wrong info that's it!

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I mount and balance my own tires/wheels. The tire turning on the rim will throw them out of balance. I have found that Dawn mixed with water is the best lube, used sparingly. I used to use the No-Mar lube. It definitely is awesome and makes getting the tires on much easier. However, I no longer use it because I've had three rears end up spinning 180 degrees on the rim. Stopped using it and no more rotation or creep on the rim. The No-mar stuff is probably fine for bikes that don't put much torsional load on the wheel. For track use I'd not use it.

Just my opinion based on experience. Oh and Chuck's right. I've noticed the newer Dunlops getting more difficult. I swear I'm gonna hernia one of these times.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If you really want to be OCD, you could find the heavy spot of your rims without tires on, and mark it as the true heavy spot, using that mark to line up with the mark on the tire. I've heard of this, but I've never bothered, LOL. I try to get the dot close, but it moves a bit. I've just balanced it and am good to go.

Recently, I've had some of the lube (No-Mar paste) bubbling out around the lip. Never had that before. The bead seemed to set fine. At first I thought it was because it was a used rim and I didn't properly clean off any stuck on old tire crap from around the lip/bead area, but that wasn't it. It's odd, but the tires seem to be holding air. It's happend on more than one rim lately. Maybe I'm using too much lube, LOL.

z064life

borislav;289085 wrote: My friend you try to mount car tires especially low profile tires with out lube you are in some serious exercise, not even to mention that you can damage the bead realy easy! Now motorcycle tires are even stiffer!!!;)
I never said no lube..I'm trying to figure out why anyone is lubing the bead itself :dunno I'm going to mark mine to see if I get wheel spin...I don't think I do since the dot lines up with the valve stem when I'm done