Enclosed trailer brand suggestions?

DblD

Hi Fellow Riders,

As a result of reading all of your great info about open vs enclosed trailers, I have started looking for an encosed trailer. Skipping open utility all together.

It will need to be on the small size since I will be towing with a Subaru Outback. I am looking at 5x8 ft. There is an amzing range of makers in the Southeast and all of them are offering pretty good deals on Craigslist.

Do you all have any suggestions for a quality manufacturer? Horton Haulers vs Colony Cargo vs Plainoldtrailers.com? I tend to keep my stuff for a long time so durability and reliability are key.

Thanks and hopefully you are having great riding weather!

moman

I recently purchased a Cargo Pro Stealth model which is all aluminum. Although mine is a 6x12 the empty weight is only 880 lbs. I really like it.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I run a lawn mowing business and I have a 7x14 tandem axel Cargo Craft trailer. It has over 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I bought it new in 2001 and have pulled it behind 2 different trucks. Only ever unhooking from the truck so that the truck could be pulled into the garage for service. With 2 zero turn mowers and 2 of everything else I need to keep my guys busy the trailer has over 2000lbs of weight in it at all times. Those aren't highway miles either. They are stop and go, going over neighborhood speed bumps, and making super tight u turns on those neighborhood streets all day which puts a huge strain on the axles.

If you get a small 5x8 make sure you bike will be able to make it over the point where the ramp door meets the floor. If you get one with barn door you won't have that problem since you will be using a ramp. I realize you are trying to stay small because of your tow vehicle but you might want to consider something slightly larger so you can sleep in it and stand up. Also see if you can take the trailer for a test tow. That's what I did, I just bought a 6x12 single axel because I overestimated my vehicles towing capacity. I was going to get a larger one but it felt too heavy. I gave the owner of the trailer cash first then I took the trailer for a test tow. When I came back I asked to try a smaller one and it was a better choice for me. Hope that helps.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Other brands I've heard of, in addition to the good ones mentioned above, are Wells Cargo and Haulmark. I have a US Cargo, bought in 2002 that's still going strong. I don't see too many US Cargos around, however. Not sure why...

DblD

Thanks for the great feedback. Clearly there are more brands, sizes and build options to consider:
Slightly larger for hd room and sleeping, farm door instead of ramp door, test drive with my Subaru.

Awesome!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Please check the rated towing capacity (both tongue weight and total tow weight) including temperature restrictions (particularly for the CVT transmission in the Outback). The trans cooler on the CVT transmission (said tranny in no way really intended for real towing) is reported to be marginal. If you have any combination of: High outside temperatures, any real elevation changes (climbs), high wind resistance (tall trailer), heavier than expected trailer, and/or sustained higher speeds - you'll be asking for trouble. Further, since we have an '11 Outback 2.5 Limited, I can say for certain that the suspension in the Outback is FAR from ideal for pulling. Frankly, my Dodge Ram Cummins 3/4t truck handles better than the Outback even before a trailer is added. Not being a stick in the mud here, but remember that the CVT tranny is really just a big set of adjustable pulleys that vary their diameter by squeezing and opening up, to allow a chain to have a constantly changing (i.e., continuously variable) gear ratio. That's why the tranny makes gear heads like me cringe driving it, because it feels like the car is always driving with a clutch going bad. Those are inefficient for "pulling" and are more prone to increased heat, increased wear, and damage, than either a typical torque converter hydro type automatic or certainly a mechanical gear (manual) tranny.

DblD

Good to know. I have a 2013 Outback 2.5l with manual transmission. I will definitely be taking the trailer for a test ride. Thanks.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Worthington is made local to me in Montoursville PA. Well built trailers but a little pricey. Looks like they're only in PA and NY