Enclosed Trailer

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
My advice? Go for the torsion axles. You're buying one time. Spend the $700. Torsion axles ride better, bounce less, and handle off centered loads much better. And you don't have to worry down the road about shackles rusting and/or breaking. One other piece of advice?

The width of the trailer doesn't cost you anything really in terms of mileage or weight. Looks like ProLine doesn't make one, however other good manufacturers do make 8.5' wide trailers of the same length. I can't say enough how much that extra width can help out. I never understand the idea of moving the walls inboard of the wheels. I have a United - had it built the beginning of last year. They make the UXTV V-nose (if that's what you want) in 8.5' wide at the lengths you want. I looked at virtually every major manufacturer out there before replacing my 24' trailer with my new one. The quality is excellent. The final selling feature for United for me was the use of I-Beam frames rather than rectangular tubing frames - which is pretty unique. To my knowledge they are the only manufacturer offering this. The I-beam frames don't hold moisture, so are less prone to rust than traditional trailers - very important to those of us who live in the northeast or mid atlantic regions.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Your truck will not notice the difference between a 7x14 vs a 7x16 from the fuel mileage standpoint, assuming all other things are the same other than the length of the trailer. Go with the 7x16, that extra 2 feet is huge. What you "can" fit into a trailer, and what "works" is two very different things. I also don't like to spend 2 hours unpacking and packing a Tetris-packed style trailer. 7x16 will allow you to haul all needed gear, spares, parts, etc for 2-3 bikes and still be able to move around in the trailer.

Torsion style trailers aren't perfect either, the big ass rubber bands in them degrade/break over time, and they don't like being stored on uneven ground over time. I've never had anything but leaf spring trailers and never had an issue with stuff being bounced around. Anything forward, or directly over the center of the axles rides very smooth. I would advise to spend 30 minutes researching both styles and draw your own opinion

Proline makes badass trailers. You'll love anything you get from them. Things I would spring for if buying new:

Screwless exterior - looks 100x better, and way less prone to 'rust runs' from the screws in the siding
Reinforced roof - for roof top mounted A/C
Insulated from the factory - well worth the price of admission to pay it have it already done
Radial tires - track much better than the crappy bias ply tires
RV flush mount door - that bar/hinge normal set up sucks for track use

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
John, don't know what experience you have with Torsion axles, but I have to really disagree with you about that. My last trailer was a 1992 Classic - with 5500lb dexter torsion axles. That trailer had about a zillion miles on it. Those torsion axles are just as capable today as they were 10 years ago. I only sold the trailer because of frame rust. That trailer was stored in a BUNCH of different places. It could care less about the ground being level or not - so long as it wasn't WAY out of level (like the side of a mountain). I also have some other trailers with leaf springs. There is no comparison.

For the record - at the present moment I have 4 trailers.....

Kurt_Orban

John, don't know what experience you have with Torsion axles, but I have to really disagree with you about that. My last trailer was a 1992 Classic - with 5500lb dexter torsion axles. That trailer had about a zillion miles on it. Those torsion axles are just as capable today as they were 10 years ago. I only sold the trailer because of frame rust. That trailer was stored in a BUNCH of different places. It could care less about the ground being level or not - so long as it wasn't WAY out of level (like the side of a mountain). I also have some other trailers with leaf springs. There is no comparison.

Bill sell me one of your trailers then hahahaa

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
My torsion axles lasted 14 years and likely would have gone for another few at least. I only replaced them because I needed brakes. It was $900 to do the brakes. When you buy axles, they come with brakes, and that was just a few hundred more to go ahead and replace the axles.

If you put your truck in tow mode, it won't "hunt" gears. If you don't have tow mode, turn overdrive off.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

I'm not sure how much time you spend riding in your trailers but clearly it's more than me. :D

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
First let me say that I haven’t ever run a torsion axle on any trailer that I have owned but, I have only ever owned two trailers. So take what I’m about to say with a grain of salt. I do understand what John is getting at with torsion axles. They use rubber for their suspension and rubber degrades over time but I’m willing to bet, that the rubber used in the suspension is up to the task and will last many years.
Of the two trailers I own I have only ever had to replace one leaf spring on my 7x14 cargo trailer. The spring broke clean in half while I was at work. At the time the trailer was 15 years old and had 150,000 city miles on it.
I’m not sure if that helps with your decision but I hope that it gives you a more rounded view.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
First let me say that I haven’t ever run a torsion axle on any trailer that I have owned but, I have only ever owned two trailers. So take what I’m about to say with a grain of salt. I do understand what John is getting at with torsion axles. They use rubber for their suspension and rubber degrades over time but I’m willing to bet, that the rubber used in the suspension is up to the task and will last many years.
Of the two trailers I own I have only ever had to replace one leaf spring on my 7x14 cargo trailer. The spring broke clean in half while I was at work. At the time the trailer was 15 years old and had 150,000 city miles on it.
I’m not sure if that helps with your decision but I hope that it gives you a more rounded view.
As I'd mentioned, I got 14 years out of my torsion axles, and they would have gone for more, see my above post. :)

tdelegram

Control Rider
I am willing to say it, don’t get into this sport to save money. The best way to make a small fortune riding and racing bikes is to start with a large fortune. This is an expensive hobby, trying to save a few bucks here and there probably won’t make a material impact in what you’re spending. If you can get better quality for a few more dollars it’s usually worth it, and don’t skimp on the convenience factor you’ll regret it later down the road. As stated above get the largest trailer you can afford/pull because you will fill it with stuff.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Yeah, everybody will have different experiences. The bottom line is that to a certain extent, any box on wheels will likely do the basic functions you want. I've had a ton of trailers - some for cars/bikes (enclosed and open) and some for hauling other equipment I have like the skid steer, tractors, etc - plus a dump trailer. I'm sure that because of how many I've had and their different uses, I've probably experienced stuff that most people will never see. I've had spring shackles break - far more than once. I've had leaf springs break more than once. I've had the shackles "seize" due to rust and corrosion - and when that happens, the springs are relatively worthless. The length can't expand to allow the leafs to flex. I've never ever had to replace a torsion axle. And keep a couple things in mind - last year my "new" enclosed trailer got over 14k miles on it. My last similar enclosed trailer was built in '92, torsion axles, and those axles are still in excellent shape after 25 years of use hauling equipment heavier than just bikes. The only thing I ever had to do was rebuild/lube hubs/bearings. There are only two drawbacks to torsion axles IMHO. If a torsion axles fails (which almost never happens) the entire axle needs replaced, whereas if a leaf spring fails, assuming nothing else is damaged, it's far less to repair/replace. The second is that front to back, torsion axles are effectively "independent suspension", meaning that because in a tandem wheel trailer front and rear axles are totally separated, if you hit a big huge pothole or run over something, each wheel takes 100% of the "shock" rather than having it dispersed between front and rear wheel/axles. However, there is a big downside to this - since both axles in a leaf configuration are attached to the same "leafs", if a shackle or leaf fails for any reason, the entire trailer "fails" to that side, often resulting in damage at least to the wheel houses and bottom outer edge of the trailer. In virtually all situations, torsion suspension from a performance perspective is superior. From a maintenance perspective, in a tandem wheel trailer, it's a little easier to change tires on leaf trailers, only because since both axles are on the same leaf, when you raise the side of the trailer, both wheels come off the ground pretty much together. However, this is a perfect example of why they are harsher to the cargo over the road than torsions.

Get what you want but take Toms advice. Don't skimp on something you're going to likely have longer than the bike you're riding now. A summary of strong recommendations other than the spring type from me is....
  • If at ALL possible, get the WIDEST trailer you can. In a 7' wide trailer, you're losing 3' of capacity, floor to ceiling, from the front to the back of the trailer. The axles are the same width. The outside of the wheels are the same width. It takes up no more room to pull or park. It's just needlessly wasted space IMHO. Problem is a lot of manufacturers don't offer shorter trailers in an 8.5' width. However there are quality manufacturers that do.
  • Get at least the ceiling insulated. Sides don't matter nearly as much, but the ceiling is crucial.
  • Get the roof pre braced and wired for AC.
  • Get an RV style side door with BOTH RV latch AND a bar latch. The RV latches are excellent for when you're parked and going in and out of the trailer. However, they're really not secure. You want to also have the traditional bar lock for when you're traveling or leaving it somewhere.
  • If you can, get it prewired for however you want it.
  • I'm a fan of getting a rubber coin floor or something similar up front, IF you're getting one built by a high quality manufacturer. The better manufacturers don't just glue the flooring down to the floor - they put a subfloor over the floor and then put the coin floor down. It's frankly cheaper to have them do this than to do it yourself.
  • I also recommend a screwless exterior - but make sure you know what their warranty is. Screwless exteriors are largely glued - and I know of more than a few where the adhesive failed. A quality manufacturer will stand behind it and correct this even if it happens several years down the road. The cheaper manufacturers often will not.
  • Flow through vents
What you really don't "need"
  • White synthetic white interior walls - you can save some money and just prime and paint the interior walls. Just make sure it's at least 3/8" plywood
  • Custom cabinets - you can built your own how you want it. Yes, they're pretty, and if money is no object, then awesome. But they are really really expensive for what you get.
  • You can put your own E-Track down. It's easy as heck.
  • Aluminum wheels - I have them, and I like them. Don't have to worry about rust, but it's no big deal.
  • Installed battery. You can easily mount and wire your own unit in for less money IMHO. If there is room, you can mount a battery box on the tongue and save room inside.
  • Extra lighting from the manufacturer. You can buy double density LED 12v light strips and put them in yourself for less money,.

dave675

Pro line makes a very good trailer. I bought mine (7x14 6'6" height) in 2014 and have had no issues with it. I went with the leaf spring axles, as I don't think the torsions are worth the $700 upgrade. For that kind of money, you can add torsion axles later if you don't like the leaf springs (which you will).

As for a tow vehicle, I towed with a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a hemi for the last 4 years. I finally got sick of towing a 6,300lb trailer with a gas burner and bought a 2500 cummins. Towing with a diesel is such a better experience, especially when you hit all the hills going to VIR :)

R1Baby

Control Rider
I tow a 7x14 dual axle with a flat front. With my 2006 F150 5.4L V8 (3.73 gears) I got around 10 mpg. With my 2016 3.5L V6 Ecoboost (3.31 gears), about 12-13. Both trucks pulled it with no problem, hardly know it's back there. I do have a weight distribution hitch.

And I driven both her setups, and I'll have to say the 3.5L Ecoboost towed better. I was really surprised.

dave675

And I driven both her setups, and I'll have to say the 3.5L Ecoboost towed better. I was really surprised.

I thought about one of those for about a half of a second. The numbers look good and it would be nice to have turbo boost while pulling hills, but turbos on a gas burner scared me away.

Turbos are only good on diesels

Kurt_Orban

I agree Bill, and yeah, I think I'll spring for the torsions. I'm not trying to pinch pennies, just trying to stop the bleeding as much as possible lol. Being a newb is tough, lots of up front setup cost. Thanks again for all the advice and thorough explanation as always. At this point, I'm thinking starter trailer just to get through the season. I'm thinking a 7x14 proline, with torsions, and an extra 6" since I just think it'll be more comfortable. If proline does a 6'3", I might go for that instead because if gas mileage, if it helps at all. I was gonna do a 6x12 but I want the tandems.

I'll add electric later and use rigid insulation on the ceiling, which I have tons of. I started out thinking all I need is a 6x12, so going tandem with torsions is a big step up from my initial plan. Not trying to break the 4500 mark. And yeah, it's a money pit for sure.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I agree Bill, and yeah, I think I'll spring for the torsions. I'm not trying to pinch pennies, just trying to stop the bleeding as much as possible lol. Being a newb is tough, lots of up front setup cost. Thanks again for all the advice and thorough explanation as always. At this point, I'm thinking starter trailer just to get through the season. I'm thinking a 7x14 proline, with torsions, and an extra 6" since I just think it'll be more comfortable. If proline does a 6'3", I might go for that instead because if gas mileage, if it helps at all. I was gonna do a 6x12 but I want the tandems.

I'll add electric later and use rigid insulation on the ceiling, which I have tons of. I started out thinking all I need is a 6x12, so going tandem with torsions is a big step up from my initial plan. Not trying to break the 4500 mark. And yeah, it's a money pit for sure.

Lol. “I’ll spring for the torsions”:laugh:

Kurt_Orban

Update: I've got a meeting tomorrow with a guy selling a LOOK trailer with torsions and all kinds of bells and whistles. Anything to say to warn me away from this brand of trailer? Thanks. Otherwise I'm just gonna get a Pro-line built if it doesn't seem right or the deal can't be made.

Kurt_Orban

My advice? Go for the torsion axles. You're buying one time. Spend the $700. Torsion axles ride better, bounce less, and handle off centered loads much better. And you don't have to worry down the road about shackles rusting and/or breaking. One other piece of advice?

The width of the trailer doesn't cost you anything really in terms of mileage or weight. Looks like ProLine doesn't make one, however other good manufacturers do make 8.5' wide trailers of the same length. I can't say enough how much that extra width can help out. I never understand the idea of moving the walls inboard of the wheels. I have a United - had it built the beginning of last year. They make the UXTV V-nose (if that's what you want) in 8.5' wide at the lengths you want. I looked at virtually every major manufacturer out there before replacing my 24' trailer with my new one. The quality is excellent. The final selling feature for United for me was the use of I-Beam frames rather than rectangular tubing frames - which is pretty unique. To my knowledge they are the only manufacturer offering this. The I-beam frames don't hold moisture, so are less prone to rust than traditional trailers - very important to those of us who live in the northeast or mid atlantic regions.
Bill where did you get the United? Trailer Enterprises? I went and checked a used Look Trailer out this past Sunday and the build quality was disappointing to say the least.