EZ Pass NY/NJ Motorcycle tolls and attaching to bike

slipstreamv2

With the recent hike in tolls, I was doing some research on motorcycle EZpass discounts. On this Port Authority page -

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

If you look under the Carpool Commuter plan, you'll see that Class 1 or 11 are eligible. Now obviously carrying 3 or more people doesn't apply for motorcycles, but if you see above that, you'll see that Class 11 refers to motorcycles.

[EDIT] Since motorcycles are listed under that "Carpool" plan, I'm hoping that they would be eligible for the same discount ($6 off for GW Bridge).

I've called both EZPass NY and NJ, but both claim to have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, how do most people attach their EZPass to their bikes?

Wawazat

Some of my TX friends stick it in their trunk area or just keep it in their jacket pocket. Most of them have multiple bikes. The toll tag authority there is pretty understanding for motorcyclists.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

angel

Not sure about what you're asking but i can tell you that
Now I know why I moved out that area. Crappy roads and toll... F' Jersey

dsmitty37

I see most ppl on bikes carry their ezpass in the their jacket pocket...you could also attach it to the underside of your windscreen also, just like automobiles do on the inside of their windshield. I dont know how well it would work in the tail box of your bike.

dbarufaldi

slipstreamv2;217094 wrote: With the recent hike in tolls, I was doing some research on motorcycle EZpass discounts. On this Port Authority page -

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

If you look under the Carpool Commuter plan, you'll see that Class 1 or 11 are eligible. Now obviously carrying 3 or more people doesn't apply for motorcycles, but if you see above that, you'll see that Class 11 refers to motorcycles.

I've called both EZPass NY and NJ, but both claim to have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, how do most people attach their EZPass to their bikes?
If your question is how does a motorcycle qualify for carpool status, the answer is probably that motorcycles are considered HOV by federal standards, and states, if they want to qualify for federal support, have to agree to accept them as such. States can decide not to allow bikes to qualify as HOV, but then they loose funding, or have to provide proof that the vehicle in a specific situation shouldn't qualify, usually due to some traffic hazards for bikers.

Dan B

ride_hard

My buddy has a little box that clamps onto the mirror that he puts his pass in. I tried it inside of my stock windscreen and it wouldn't work. I put in my tailbag and that wouldn't work either. I registered my license plate and just kept going after talking to one of the attendants that said they would charge my account if the plate was on there. I never had a charge to my account and I never got a ticket. :dunno:

slipstreamv2

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely register the plate, and hopefully keeping in my pocket works.

I think that motorcycles are allowed to travel in some HOV lanes, but I'm asking if they would qualify for the discount for tolls, especially since it lists motorcycles (Class 11) as being eligible. I spoke to both NJ and NY ezpass, and they had no clue. I wasn't in front of a computer, so I couldn't direct them to that page, but I guess I'll try again tmrw.

jfeagin

I've run my EZpass in the map pocket of my tank bag without problems. It's a radio frequency device, so shouldn't be blocked by any random chunk of plastic if it works inside a sheet of glass. Just don't wrap it in aluminum foil. :cool:

As for discount eligibility, I'd be ready to ask for a supervisor. I wouldn't expect call center people to have any real clue. Most places all the front line folks get is standard scripts that handle most calls they receive. For the oddball stuff, you gotta go up the chain.

dbarufaldi

slipstreamv2;217128 wrote: Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely register the plate, and hopefully keeping in my pocket works.

I think that motorcycles are allowed to travel in some HOV lanes, but I'm asking if they would qualify for the discount for tolls, especially since it lists motorcycles (Class 11) as being eligible. I spoke to both NJ and NY ezpass, and they had no clue. I wasn't in front of a computer, so I couldn't direct them to that page, but I guess I'll try again tmrw.
So you are saying that the website says motorcycles are eligible, but you decided to call the call center and get confirmation?

Am I correct that you have to sign up for the program? Why don't you just try to sign up and see what happens?

Given the choice of that or looking for someone in a large bureaucracy to be both knowledgeable and helpful, I'd choose trying it and seeing what happens.

For EZPass on the bike, I put it in my tank bag map pocket, but found two things that SIGNFICANTLY improve my read-rate (I use toll plazas that have a gate, so no read = no go). First, I angle the map pocket at about a 45 degree angle with the EZPass in the pocket oriented the same way it would be on a windshield - with the "back" toward the reader. I try to lean back a little so my helmet and upper body don't block the reader, as I'm on a sportbike. Second is to roll through the toll plaza with a little speed. If you just pull up under the sensor, it seldom works. I found going 5ish mph past the sensor helps. Of course, cover the brake in case it doesn't and the gate stays down. Going too slowly seems to hinder performance.

Dan B

Hambone

angel;217097 wrote: Not sure about what you're asking but i can tell you that
Now I know why I moved out that area. Crappy roads and toll... F' Jersey
Very helpful!

I usually put mine in my tank bag or my Jacket pocket. I have gone through some tolls where the sign says to call EZpass. But I have never recieved a ticket. The one problem I have had was the Throgsneck bridge where the toll booth has a gate that is activated by the EZpass. For that I have had to honk the horn or actually pull the tag out and hold it up.

Also, I normally ride in the HOV lanes. I never got a ticket for that either.

mjkuhno

I've been running EZ-Pass on my motorcycle through PA for a few years.

Have been using the tag in the inside of my tank bag and never had a problem. Prior to putting it in my tank bad I had it in my jacket pocket and it didn't read once....which was enough of a hassle to deal with.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the EZ-Pass transponder/tag issued for bikes in PA is a little different than the car tag. If I remember correctly, when I asked about it I was told it has a slightly stronger signal for use on bikes. Of course, that could have been misinformation, but.....

And yes, make sure to register all license plates with the appropriate EZ-Pass tag - including your bike trailer if you have one. Found this out last year by receiving a letter from the NJDOT after a run to NJMP. Oops.

beac83

With EZpass, you will need a transponder that is specifically registered for a motorcycle. At least thats what PA told me back when I got mine for the bike. Here in IL, there are also specific class tags for motorcycles, because of toll concessions in other EZPass states.

If you request/register an EZpass transponder as for a bike, it will register motorcycle tolls at all autopay locations. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me here in Illinois, where they charge bikes the same as anything with two axles.

I have mine mounted to the inside of my windscreen with the same superlok tape strips they typically use. Never had a problem with having it read by the readers. When I kept it in my pocket, it often was not read, or at gated tolls, I had to pull it out and hold it over my head. It sometimes will work under the pillion or rear cowl, but that's not been 100% effective in my experience.

Morrand

I've run my I-PASS (Illinois's version of E-ZPass) in the map pocket of my tank bag: way down in the front. No problems that I can tell, going through the express lanes. Actually, the main problem is getting the thing back out to put it back on the truck.

Fun fact: right now, the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority's headline on their toll tag sales page reads, "I-PASS customers receive more than 700,000 violation notices each year." That's selling it, boys!