FAQ: Q2s

Turbo329

Hi fellas.

I started another thread and it looks like it was moved or deleted. I hope it didn't rub anyone the wrong way. I genuinely want to know if this is caused by something I did or if it's a quality control issue.

Here's a photo of what I noticed when changing the tires.

55260_full.jpg

The cracks are right in the tread grooves. It wasn't just one, it was a few. The tires have not been flipped. I ran the track day pressures at 31 front and 30 rear cold. I'm mid pack Intermediate group.

*disclaimer* This post is not meant to be inflammatory towards Dunlop and it's representatives. I really LOVE the Q2 and the confidence it gives me on the track. I will continue to purchase the Q2 because nothing beats it bang for the buck but I'd like to know more about what I experienced.

JRA

Your post isn't inflammatory in any way. It's a legitimate question and I'm sure RTS will post an answer for you.

Twiztedjester55

BigBird;189355 wrote: hey turbo, this is your answer
That is what causes the cuts in Fastguys pics, I had the same issue with my 211's and it didn't affect performance at all. The cracks in Turbos pic are totally different almost looks like a dry rot crack in the tread.

Turbo329

BigBird;189355 wrote: hey turbo, this is your answer
AWESOME!!! Thanks for the follow up.

I was worried but now I feel a little better.

Not for nothing, when I was riding the tire over the Summit Pt weekend, I didn't notice anything strange like vibration or chatter coming from the rear. The tire felt great. I was just surprised to see this when I popped the tires off to change them.

DUNLOP-RTS

G2G;187137 wrote: It does not state the 32 32 is a hot pressure. If you don't know call. Steve B will tell you himself.
32/32 is cold. If you are wanting to use warmers on Q2 you really need to look at stepping up and get race tires.

DUNLOP-RTS

JRA;189270 wrote: Your post isn't inflammatory in any way. It's a legitimate question and I'm sure RTS will post an answer for you.
Yep, its a legit question.

I asked him to send me a PM with the pic and I would have an answer for him. He sent it to me, Thanks. He also then re-posted it.

I am in the process of getting an answer. In the mean time lets use manners and give me an opportunity to get an answer to the question. No need to re post if I don't answer within 1 hour. I have been at NJMP all weekend for the NESBA event there and just returned back to the office.

BigBird

Turbo329;189392 wrote: AWESOME!!! Thanks for the follow up.

I was worried but now I feel a little better.

Not for nothing, when I was riding the tire over the Summit Pt weekend, I didn't notice anything strange like vibration or chatter coming from the rear. The tire felt great. I was just surprised to see this when I popped the tires off to change them.
sorry dude for posting the wrong info. your situation seems to be something different. Hope that its ok, since Steve had to go to the laboratory to get an answer :eek:

Jonny Boy

Any updates? I believe my rear Q2 is starting to do the same thing on both sides of the tire and it has only 3 days on it... tire still looks great otherwise.

Terminex

Good question.

I am curious as well.

I got 6 full days out of the rear. I am going to retire it to one of my street bikes as the center tread is still pristine.

The front still looks great.

DUNLOP-RTS

Fastguy;187286 wrote: Well I have a question that Ive posted and asked a couple of times before but have not gotten a reasonable explaination.

The Q2 rear seems to "separate" (for a lack of a better term) in the tread area. One explaination that Ive heard was that it was from flipping the rear.

I currently have a rear that I have not flipped thats beginning to "separate".

Other riders have indicated that they too have had this issue happen. I dont think that I can run over something with different sets of rears.
What you are seeing is the TREAD SPLICE becoming exposed. This is not the construction of the tire at all. It only the tread rubber that is placed over the carcass when they build the tires. There was an occasional issue with this becoming visible. It was amplified by riders that flipped the tire and ran it in reverse rotation.

The integrity of the carcass is still in place.

If you took a tire groover and added a deep tread cut, that would be the same effect on the tire and its performance.

Its not a safety or performance issue. But it does look like crap, I will give you that.

This issue has been address in the manufacturing process and we have not seen this issue since the 2011 season began.

The reason you do not see this in the UK made tires is because they use a slightly different process in manufacturing (more costly). But the US factory has solved this without costing more (go USA engineers!).

noobinacan

sorry if this is a repeat question

are Q2'a 190/55's same height profile as GPA211 190/55's ?
in terms of height, I think I last heard, Q2's 190/55 won't require any rear height adjustments.

thanks

DUNLOP-RTS

noobinacan;199423 wrote: sorry if this is a repeat question

are Q2'a 190/55's same height profile as GPA211 190/55's ?
in terms of height, I think I last heard, Q2's 190/55 won't require any rear height adjustments.

thanks
D211GPA 190/55x17 is 4 mm diameter bigger than the 190/55 Q2. Which is 2mm in ride height. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Take into consideration your setup is not going to be 100% at this moment anyway.

noobinacan

DUNLOP-RTS;199572 wrote: D211GPA 190/55x17 is 4 mm diameter bigger than the 190/55 Q2. Which is 2mm in ride height. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Take into consideration your setup is not going to be 100% at this moment anyway.
k thanks for the info.
So in that case should I go for 190/50 vs 190/55 ?

Mikey75702

Does dunlop make a 190/50 anymore? And I am pretty sure they don't in the 211.... So that would mean if you do a /55 211 and a /50 q2 the q2 will be a good bit shorter then the 211

Cliff#11

Anyone have any experience with these on a liter bike ? Specifically should they be ran at an "A" pace on a liter bike in the middle of summer on let's say.. VIR Full?

noobinacan

Cliff#11;200715 wrote: Anyone have any experience with these on a liter bike ? Specifically should they be ran at an "A" pace on a liter bike in the middle of summer on let's say.. VIR Full?
I wouldn't run those in mid summer on A pace.
but that's just me.

run a race tire in soft compound.
I ran GPA211 soft rear VIR-N and South...and its holding up great. 4 events so far.
still looks like its got two more days in it.