First N2 track day, NJMP

mdhokie

Hi all,

Rider from MD, new to N2. Going to my first track day at NJMP Thunderbolt. My only track experience to date is taking the 2-day YCRS course at Thunderbolt earlier this summer; wanted to return to a familiar track and practice what I learned. This is the first time I'll be taking my own bike on the track (2009 Yamaha FZ1, pretty much stock). I was pleased to see that the instructors at YCRS had no problem riding the FZ1 much faster than I was riding on the rental R6 -- they made it look pretty good!

I'm running sport touring tires so I'll be taking it easy, mostly practicing body position and hitting the apex right.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The YCRS bikes are all shod with Dunlop Q3's...that being said, the Q3 is a better suited track tire than a sport touring tire. You'll be OK as long as you keep control of your "need for speed" and don't expect the same level of grip.

mdhokie

That's what I figured. Where am I most likely to find my traction limits with a harder tire? Can I keep accelerating/braking hard in a straight line, just take it easier on trailbraking and accelerating out of corners? I am not going to be riding extreme lean angle. Am I likely to lock the front tire on hard straightaway braking?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
As you learned in the school, it's about how you apply those forces. Set the tire before you work the tire. Allow the braking and acceleration forces to transfer to the tire and gain contact patch before you ask more of it. With the right technique you can get more out of the tire

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! The Sept 5th date? See you there! The Control Riders are there to work with you! What Jack and Dave said above. Most of us have been to YCRS, we have a partnership with them, and teach their principles. So you'll definitely be able to work on what you learned, and get more "YCRS-speak" from the CRs.

Motofun352

Control Rider
By saying you're not expecting to use "extreme" lean angles, that's a good sign. Lean angle = risk, that's why we preach good body position. Having said that, your speed will absolutely determine the relative lean angle required to negotiate the turn. Independent of tires, there remains a total of grip available. This grip is highly variable, dependent on many things like the track, the weather, not just tire manufacturer/type. Interesting a good sport touring tire might be a decent choice over many race tires in cold wet conditions. Creep up on the grip available and you should be OK.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Welcome! I'll be running the day so if there is anything you need or have questions about don't hesitate to find me and ask. Shiloh will be there as well if you can't find me. The morning will be a little more hectic than your experience at YCRS due to tech and registration but it all settles down for the riders meeting. If you're registered already all you need to do is grab your gear (all of it) and your bike and head to tech (opposite garage from YCRS garage) between 7-7:30 Tech closes at 8am sharp. We'll get you and your bike registered and teched in a few minutes. Then be ready for the mandatory riders meeting at 8:15. Novice group will be on track at 9:40 for your first session.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard, I won't be at NJMP, but I should be at the Sept PIRC and the Summit point days, feel free to stop over and say hi, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Just look for the KTM's.

Tom
PS, adding a RC390 to the stable so it will be that and the RC8.

mdhokie

Thanks to all the friendly folks who I met at the track. Had a great time! My tire concerns were unfounded as I leaned until my pegs scraped without any traction problems whatsoever. My pictures show I only remembered to get my head down inside about 1 time out of 4; my video showed I never shifted in the straight until the rev limiter reminded me. So I guess I just need to go back and keep working on it!

How many other folks are from Maryland? I'm in Annapolis area.