First time track riders

rk97

I'm surely in the minority, but I think this is worth addressing.

My first trackday was with NESBA, and I had a blast - but my street riding skills were NOT as good as I had thought they were. to be blunt, I was probably putting other riders at risk my first time out. I hope I'm being constructive by admitting that... i certainly try to remember that every morning in B group going forward.

So if I have any 'feedback,' it would be to continue identifying first-timers during the riders' meeting, but also make a note of who those people are. I spent 2 sessions clueless.

is this NESBA or the CRs' fault? no - not in the least. I saw the CRs working with MANY riders who were anxious to improve (and probably approached the CRs first thing in the morning) but in retrospect, I may have been hindering their day because i was less inclined to ask for guidance.

I do remember the CRs paying close attention to the "intro" group riders, which I think is great. And maybe that's where I found the 'gap' in instruction (between the intro group, and the B riders who are more experienced, and asked for instruction).

in any case, I have no criticism of how anything was handled - merely a suggestion to keep a closer eye on the first-timers. Will all of them be as terrible as I was? god I hope not! But I'm happy to run 2 sessions slow-ish if it makes the new folks more comfortable, and keeps us all safer.

I've never had more fun than I do with NESBA - this includes events with 2 other trackday orgs. keep up the good work.

Maryland998

Welcome aboard.

The first time on track can be overwhelming. Short of being a red shirt freshmen. There wouldn't be an easy way to pick out the new "first time" riders. If you lined up in the back of the right line. Essentially going out last. Then you didn't do anything incorrect. Unless you were "dangerously slow" don't worry about fellow riders getting past you. It is their responsibility to safely get past you within the class rules. As long as you are predictable and smooth. Then they can safely get around you. Keep your head and hold your line.

By all means do ask for help. But be realistic. The CR's cannot spend 100% of their time with any single rider. But I have seen many times them almost doing that in order to make sure people had a safe fun time. If it is a full group and they are stretched thin then this will be less likely. Talk to your CR captain at the start of the day and see what you can work out. Ken.

barry38

RK97 - While we do our best to help every rider who wants/needs it, it's very hard under our struture to devote alot of time to any one rider. We always advise that slower, new track riders stage at the rear of the right lane when heading out for a session. This is done both at the general and "B" riders meeting.

Doing your first track day can definately be a stressful and intimidating experience. Don't hesitate to grab one of us in the orange shirts and ask for help, that's what we are there for. Just remember that there are usually 7-8 of you for every one of us, so it may take a session or two before we can work directly with you.

My advice to anyone doing there first day is this. Read the rider's manual, come prepared, keep an open mind and leave your ego at the gate. No matter how fast a street rider you think you are, you haven't seen anything yet!!!!!!!!!! Once you get a taste of riding on the track, you'l be one of us!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Maryland998;2308 wrote: The first time on track can be overwhelming. Short of being a red shirt freshmen. There wouldn't be an easy way to pick out the new "first time" riders. If you lined up in the back of the right line. Essentially going out last. Then you didn't do anything incorrect. Unless you were "dangerously slow" don't worry about fellow riders getting past you. It is their responsibility to safely get past you within the class rules. As long as you are predictable and smooth. Then they can safely get around you. Keep your head and hold your line.

By all means do ask for help. But be realistic. The CR's cannot spend 100% of their time with any single rider. But I have seen many times them almost doing that in order to make sure people had a safe fun time. If it is a full group and they are stretched thin then this will be less likely. Talk to your CR captain at the start of the day and see what you can work out. Ken.
:agree: and i think it would be kind of embarrassing for first time riders if they were to be singled out, just because they are inexperienced

rk97

Thanks guys - I agree with everything that's been said. If I didn't convey it in my original post, I'll reiterate here - I wasn't unhappy with the way NESBA or the CRs handled anything, I just wish I had known ahead of time which CR(s) were going to be in the B group to talk to before the first session. Should have asked Buck. I know that now.

I was lined up dead last on the right side - i was just clueless. Pascal and I were laughing about it Saturday. "I thought you were an accident waiting to happen!" and he wasn't being mean - he was right!

After this past weekend, I realize how much the other B riders can impact the new riders' day. Murf said it, but I did 'get it' until I was out there - if you're faster, slow down and let everyone else around you learn a little. the more they pick up in the first session, the faster you can go in the second session (and so on).

So the CRs and directors are already addressing this more than I knew before - but a lot of it falls onto the other riders' shoulders as well. I'm definitely trying to keep this at the front of my mind from now on.

Chris K

Don't worry rk97, we all went threw that very same experience just as you did! I remember getting off my bike after my very 1st session and saying, "Holy S$$T, I know nothing about riding a motorcycle!!" The good news is you already have your first day past you! And you get to look forward to that very same feeling as you progress in skill and move up into the I and A groups!

Chris K;3491 wrote: Don't worry rk97, we all went threw that very same experience just as you did! I remember getting off my bike after my very 1st session and saying, "Holy S$$T, I know nothing about riding a motorcycle!!" The good news is you already have your first day past you! And you get to look forward to that very same feeling as you progress in skill and move up into the I and A groups!
Chris, I don't think we've met yet but as a "new" track rider your comments mean alot.

I've only done one track day so far too and after the first couple laps I realized to how little I knew about riding. I am anything but smooth.

I felt bad mid way through the day becasue all these CR's are looking at me with smiling faces in the pit area that said"Come over and get some feedback", but I just drove on by because I was so damn tired and I already had diagnosed many issues (i.e. tense on the handle bars, inconsistant body position, braking skills at higher speeds sucks, etc.) I didn't want to add to the pile. So I sat out a few sessions, started to relax went back out and started to engage the CR's and in the last copule sessions I had some breakthroughs!

I took turn one and two (different laps) at Summit-JC more proficiantly than two better riders than me and was able to pass on the straight after the turn! So now when I read posts about setting up for the pass before a corner and carrying corner speed I have an idea of what's being talked about. Of course those riders got back on their A-game and left me in the dust but the light bulb went off:idea:!

God willing, I'll look back at these moments and laugh as I advance through I to A and can encourage new riders that we all start in the same place.

Dan

rk97

Chris K;3491 wrote: Don't worry rk97, we all went threw that very same experience just as you did! I remember getting off my bike after my very 1st session and saying, "Holy S$$T, I know nothing about riding a motorcycle!!" The good news is you already have your first day past you! And you get to look forward to that very same feeling as you progress in skill and move up into the I and A groups!
Well I didn't want to assume it was everyone ;)

My biggest concern for myself was that there were other first-timers who were out pacing me by so much. I had NEVER ridden truly aggressively on the street. I knew that. Turns out I was even less skilled than I thought though (and that's saying somethin'!).

Thankfully, I have gotten better. I won't go so far as to say that I'm "good" yet, but my riding is improving every time out, and that's all I can hope for.

Now i'm just struggling to really remind myself to make it as easy as possible on the people who might be feeling the same way I did first time out. slow down, ride the line, and maybe SHOW them something rather than just running away. CRs usually won't wave anyone by during the first session anyhow. The idea that I might actually be able to help someone new is pretty cool.

i can see it now, "the NESBA first-session buddy system." :cheers:

- Chris

Chris K

rk97 and Bubba Zanetti,
Trust me when I say that you two are no different than any other NESBA rider who has begun doing TD's for the first time. It's complete sensory overload out there your first few days. Considering you are learning both a new track layout and how to actually ride your bike like it's designed to at the same time, if you keep yourself and your bike in-tact you're doing great!! (at least that's how I looked at it in my head)

My focus every session is to learn one new thing. Not 4 or 10, but just one. Then get out there the next session and work on it. Rinse and repeat... It still amazes me that the CR's are able to give us so much feedback each session. I was wiped after each session too, so here is what I did. I usually tried to pay attention to which CR I spent the most time behind during a session, then pitted in on the white flag lap. Yes you loose one more lap around the track for that session, but on the flip side, you will have a whole lap to get off the track, pull over, take off your helmet, catch your breath and collect your thoughts. Then when you see the CR come in, you can seek them out. I would try to capture as much feedback as possible. Then, I would go right back to my pit and write down as much as I could remember in a notebook. Pick out which item I want to work on and get back out there. If I had a session where I didn't get any feedback from a CR I still had a notebook full of things to work on.

By the way, it is amazing how much different the track is over the streets. When I meet people now who talk about how hard the ride on the streets and how good they are, I just smile and nod. :rolleyes: They have no idea.

Don't be afraid to seek out advice from other riders in the pits either. The reality is we are all in love with this hobby and likewise want to talk about it as much as possible. It's all about paying it forward in my opinion. :)

Feel free to PM me your upcomming TD's. Maybe we can pit up next to each other if we're going to be at the same ones.

zxsixr

I too had my first TD this year I only got to ride two sessions before mechanical problems put me out, but I could tell that I had no idea what I was doing. I could also tell that I was getting better. I hope to make it to barber in the fall and try again. Road Atlanta is the closest track but I guess that I will have to wait until next year for that one.:argh:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I remember my first day and I was nervous as hell. I was a decent street rider but the track was a whole new environment and being fast on the street is no indication of fast on the track. You're out there and your learning and most importantly you seem open minded and willing to learn. Take your time to get the basics and the speed comes.