First Track Day!

RSV4Pluto

Hi everyone,

Its my first track day, and i can't wait! I will be attending NJMP track day on April, 15th 2017. I really look forward to learning from you track experienced guys. Riding my bike on the street just isn't doing the job. As far as being nervous, I ride with confidence, know when to listen, and know I have a lot to learn! I'm more nervous about the whole process before getting onto the track even though i did all the mandatory reading from N2 rules and things.

I'm going to load my bike on the back of my truck, bring the recommended bare minimum and hope for the best. I'm traveling from outside of Scranton,PA area to NJMP arriving the day before, checking into one of those rooms across from the pit. I already know this season I'm going to try and attend most of the NJMP track days and hope to get an ATP track day in too. Again, i look forward to meeting CR's and other riders!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Sounds like you've read the Riders Manual and such already, thanks! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Everyone on the forum and at the track is willing to help. When you get to NJMP, introduce yourself to whomever is pitted next to you, tell them it's your first day. Everyone is welcoming and will point you in the right direction, show you where tech/registration, riders' meeting is located. It'll be announced over the PA system too.

You are gonna have a blast and learn a ton!

RSV4Pluto

One question I have at the moment, when I registered for the track day I don't believe I requested garage space. I changed my mind and would like to get a spot inside. How do I go about doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
One question I have at the moment, when I registered for the track day I don't believe I requested garage space. I changed my mind and would like to get a spot inside. How do I go about doing that?

Welcome to N2! Here's the contact information if you want to reserve a garage. Contact registration at (856) 327-7256 or registration@njmp.com.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Welcome. Don't stress much over the process. Let people know its your first time and everyone will help you out. There is plenty of time to get what needs done completed. Sounds like you'll be there the night before so that will eliminate much of the stress. The rooms are comfortable but you'll be so amp'ed up that you'll probably not sleep a wink....lol. If you get there and there is nobody there to help unload the bike wait until someone can lend a hand. In fact, this is NJ so it may be better that you leave it in the truck until morning. We do not typically have issues with items walking off but better safe than sorry. This event will most likely be very light in terms of riders so you will have great track time and instruction.

Wake up with enough time to get the bike ready for Tech
You read the manual but many people forget
1. All lights/lenses/refectors taped over (Pinters tape is fine)
2. Must have number (Can be bold block number drawn on by sharpie etc.) that can be read by a cornerworker
3. Bring all gear to tech (Boots, Leathers, helmet, gloves)
4. Verify that you have decent life left on your break pads (I oly say that because​
7:00am - Roll bike to Tech
7:10am - Completed Tech and return to your pit
7:10 - 7:50am - Get your bike ready to go on track (Fuel, Air Pressure, etc) There is little time after the riders meeting to prep anything.
8:00am - Tech closes
8:15am - Mandatory Riders Meeting (All Groups Intro-Advanced)
8:30am - Riders meeting Splits into Group Meetings

At 8:30 you will be divided into the Novice Group meeting where they will explain all the rules, track specific processes, etc. They will then break that group into First Time To The Track riders and assign an instructor to just your group. Once that meeting is done, you will be sent back to your pit to get ready.

9:40am - Novice Group Session 1
9:41am - Track Addict

I won't be there but it doesn't matter who is running the day. The process is the same every time so everyone knows what to expect.

RSV4Pluto

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I feel better already;)...@Slitherin , very helpful thanks a ton!

Adittional questions, I never had the sag adjusted on my bike for my wieght. Is there a vendor or someone that helps with that? Also, I have brand spanking new tires and pads, is there any recommendations to break them in before track day, or just do it all on the track?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If Markbilt is there, he does a basic suspension set up for $40.

Those of us with bikes designated for track only always break in tires and pads on the track. Just take it easy for the first few laps, gradually increasing lean angle, to scrub in the tires. Same idea for the pads, gradually and smoothly apply pressure for the first few laps and they should be good to go.

Last edited:

RSV4Pluto

If Markbilt is there, he does a basic suspension set up for $40.

Those of us with bikes designated for track only always break in tires and pads on the track. Just take it easy for the first few laps, gradually increasing lean angle,to scrub in the tires. Same idea for the pads, gradually amd smoothly apply pressure for the first few laps and they should be good to go.

Thank you

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard, I should be there, if you need any help or have questions look for the KTM easy up at least one rc8r and 40 foot toy hauler.

Tom

ajcjr

Hi everyone,

Its my first track day, and i can't wait! I will be attending NJMP track day on April, 15th 2017. I really look forward to learning from you track experienced guys. Riding my bike on the street just isn't doing the job. As far as being nervous, I ride with confidence, know when to listen, and know I have a lot to learn! I'm more nervous about the whole process before getting onto the track even though i did all the mandatory reading from N2 rules and things.

I'm going to load my bike on the back of my truck, bring the recommended bare minimum and hope for the best. I'm traveling from outside of Scranton,PA area to NJMP arriving the day before, checking into one of those rooms across from the pit. I already know this season I'm going to try and attend most of the NJMP track days and hope to get an ATP track day in too. Again, i look forward to meeting CR's and other riders!

I will be doing my first track day as well at the same event. Glad to see another newbie there.

mpusch

Micah
Hi everyone,
I'm more nervous about the whole process before getting onto the track even though i did all the mandatory reading from N2 rules and things.

I can relate to that, as I had similar feelings before my first track day. I was petrified of failing tech. Not sure if you're referring to that or just the logistics in general. If you mean the logistics, you'll probably chuckle at how easy it all really is. As with many other things in life, it's really easy once you know how to do it! As others have said, lots of people who will be happy to help. If you're referring to tech worries keep in mind these couple things:

1) Scrutinize your bike, especially looking at the manual to reference the most popular items to check (tires, pads, etc). Make sure no bolts are loose, forks aren't seeping any fluids, and your chain is not rusted and in spec. Etc etc. If you're thorough and your bike is in good shape, no need to worry!
2) Tech is there for YOUR SAFETY. It can be easy to think about trying to "get through" tech, but you would WANT them to find something if there was a problem. You don't want to find that problem on the front straight.

Man, these threads about going to the track for the first time always get me excited. I still get the butterflies every morning before going out on track, but once you get those first couple of laps in you'll shake them off and have a blast.

On a side note, judging by your screen name, it's always good to have more beautiful sounding machines out there. I get tired of doing a lot of the heavy lifting with my Triumph :whistle: :p

Motofun352

Control Rider
OK, for first time through tech folks...here's the things I think are most commonly found...
1. Chain is too tight. I know the manual says 1 to 1.5 inches but you should be able to lift the chain up to underside of the swingarm with moderate pressure. The key here is you don't want the chain to restrict the free movement of the swingarm under full compression.
2. Throttle doesn't easily snap back when the handlebar is at full lock on either or both sides.
3. Missing numbers...come on, this is EASY plus it gives you a chance to show your artistic side with blue (or black, yellow....) contrasting tape.
4. Steering damper jacked up through the roof...a little goes a long way, way too much can send you the wrong way. (Edit;;;;Please check your steering head bearings. A few times we have found totally shot SH bearings. This is not an easy fix at the track but it is a big safety deal)
Tech is important but not hard, having to go thru twice sux.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
...and make sure your oil drain plug is properly torqued, i.e. NOT loose! That's something we can't check on every bike at tech, but it has the potential to ruin your day, anyone else's riding near you, and the entire paddock's while it's cleaned up off the track.

mpusch

Micah
...and make sure your oil drain plug is properly torqued, i.e. NOT loose! That's something we can't check on every bike at tech, but it has the potential to ruin your day, anyone else's riding near you, and the entire paddock's while it's cleaned up off the track.

If there was ever one thing to safety wire on a bike...