First Track Day!

RSV4Pluto

I can relate to that, as I had similar feelings before my first track day. I was petrified of failing tech. Not sure if you're referring to that or just the logistics in general. If you mean the logistics, you'll probably chuckle at how easy it all really is. As with many other things in life, it's really easy once you know how to do it! As others have said, lots of people who will be happy to help. If you're referring to tech worries keep in mind these couple things:

1) Scrutinize your bike, especially looking at the manual to reference the most popular items to check (tires, pads, etc). Make sure no bolts are loose, forks aren't seeping any fluids, and your chain is not rusted and in spec. Etc etc. If you're thorough and your bike is in good shape, no need to worry!
2) Tech is there for YOUR SAFETY. It can be easy to think about trying to "get through" tech, but you would WANT them to find something if there was a problem. You don't want to find that problem on the front straight.

Man, these threads about going to the track for the first time always get me excited. I still get the butterflies every morning before going out on track, but once you get those first couple of laps in you'll shake them off and have a blast.

On a side note, judging by your screen name, it's always good to have more beautiful sounding machines out there. I get tired of doing a lot of the heavy lifting with my Triumph :whistle: :p

Thanks, for your experiences and insight. Yeah you know those feelings before doing something new, not knowing anyone, unknowns and the unexpected. I think I will be okay with tech, I'm all about safety( thanks USMC) , lol. I'm just breaking the ice on how to work on my bike myself. It bugs me I don't know how to tear it apart and put it back together. So I hope to learn a little of that through track days and home. Yeah I was more butterfly like over the logistics of things. But I know what you mean as soon as you get through it once , it's easy. Well, since I had so much kickass feedback from everyone i feel much more informed and ready to go.

And of course I didn't buy a 250cc like I should have. That's what I get for buying a bike THEN figuring out what a track day and a track bike are , and the foreign talk about BP, lmao. Then I was like, Omg I'm still alive after driving on the street, sweet , lets go to the track!

Yeah look for me tiptoeing my tall ass Aprilia.

Thanks,
Adlee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSV4Pluto

OK, for first time through tech folks...here's the things I think are most commonly found...
1. Chain is too tight. I know the manual says 1 to 1.5 inches but you should be able to lift the chain up to underside of the swingarm with moderate pressure. The key here is you don't want the chain to restrict the free movement of the swingarm under full compression.
2. Throttle doesn't easily snap back when the handlebar is at full lock on either or both sides.
3. Missing numbers...come on, this is EASY plus it gives you a chance to show your artistic side with blue (or black, yellow....) contrasting tape.
4. Steering damper jacked up through the roof...a little goes a long way, way too much can send you the wrong way. (Edit;;;;Please check your steering head bearings. A few times we have found totally shot SH bearings. This is not an easy fix at the track but it is a big safety deal)
Tech is important but not hard, having to go thru twice sux.

Read you loud and clear! Safety safety! Yeah I'm going to change my oil next week so I will make sure my oil plug is torqued properly. I found this cool thing for my bike, hopefully I get it in time from Japan.IMG_0096.JPG

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Welcome, I did my first track day at NJMP almost 3 years ago. It was awesome! Everyone will be willing to help. I wish I was going. That cover is cool. What is it called?

Myers

Control Rider
Welcome aboard! Tons of great advice just in this thread. Couple things that I would add.

1 - listen to the pit in and out proceedures...and KNOW them before you roll a wheel.

2 - study the hand signals that the CRs will be using... and know them before you roll a wheel.

3 - look over the flag meanings and PAY ATTENTION during all the riders meetings at the beginning of the day.

Like Slithering said...introduce yourself and don't be afraid to tell folks it's your first day...Your going to be blown away with how welcoming and UN Nerving the entire experience is. I still remember my first day...at NJMP lighting like it was yesterday! Your going to SMILE a Lot!

Biggest thing to remember....HAVE FUN and never lose respect for what you are doing while on the track.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RSV4Pluto

OK, for first time through tech folks...here's the things I think are most commonly found...
1. Chain is too tight. I know the manual says 1 to 1.5 inches but you should be able to lift the chain up to underside of the swingarm with moderate pressure. The key here is you don't want the chain to restrict the free movement of the swingarm under full compression.
2. Throttle doesn't easily snap back when the handlebar is at full lock on either or both sides.
3. Missing numbers...come on, this is EASY plus it gives you a chance to show your artistic side with blue (or black, yellow....) contrasting tape.
4. Steering damper jacked up through the roof...a little goes a long way, way too much can send you the wrong way. (Edit;;;;Please check your steering head bearings. A few times we have found totally shot SH bearings. This is not an easy fix at the track but it is a big safety deal)
Tech is important but not hard, having to go thru twice sux.

What does this mean exactly? I'm a little confused. My bike is pretty new so I'm not sure if it's an adjustment thing. Thanks

RSV4Pluto

Welcome aboard! Tons of great advice just in this thread. Couple things that I would add.

1 - listen to the pit in and out proceedures...and KNOW them before you roll a wheel.

2 - study the hand signals that the CRs will be using... and know them before you roll a wheel.

3 - look over the flag meanings and PAY ATTENTION during all the riders meetings at the beginning of the day.

Like Slithering said...introduce yourself and don't be afraid to tell folks it's your first day...Your going to be blown away with how welcoming and UN Nerving the entire experience is. I still remember my first day...at NJMP lighting like it was yesterday! Your going to SMILE a Lot!

Biggest thing to remember....HAVE FUN and never lose respect for what you are doing while on the track.

Okay I will make sure I study the given material, pit in out procedures, hand signals and flag meanings and respect my surroundings!

I'm usually pretty quiet person, and like to get right down to business kinda guy. I will definitely introduce myself to as many of y'all if not everyone. N2 director ,CR's and members have been sooooo informative and welcoming and I don't regret a second of it, and haven't even made it to the track! I can feel the passion everyone here has for riding through text! That's awesome!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider

What does this mean exactly? I'm a little confused. My bike is pretty new so I'm not sure if it's an adjustment thing. Thanks

Easy! Turn your handlebars all the way to the left (with the bike OFF, lol), twist the throttle all the way on to the stop. Let it go. It should snap back to the "off" position. Repeat with the bars all the way to the right.

If it doesn't snap back, it's binding on something. It would be a safety hazard, if you fell, the bike would still be at full throttle. If it is binding, it could be cables pinched underneath, or something as simple as the rubber grip is up against the throttle housing.

RSV4Pluto

Easy! Turn your handlebars all the way to the left (with the bike OFF, lol), twist the throttle all the way on to the stop. Let it go. It should snap back to the "off" position. Repeat with the bars all the way to the right.

If it doesn't snap back, it's binding on something. It would be a safety hazard, if you fell, the bike would still be at full throttle. If it is binding, it could be cables pinched underneath, or something as simple as the rubber grip is up against the throttle housing.

Thank you, yep it's snappy!

RSV4Pluto

Question. I will be at the track hotel the day before the track day. Is there a designated area, or just an area I can work on my bike the day before the track day?

mpusch

Micah
Question. I will be at the track hotel the day before the track day. Is there a designated area, or just an area I can work on my bike the day before the track day?

The hotel rooms are right next to the paddock where everyone sets their bikes up, parks, etc. Shouldn't have any issues working on your bike the day before.

Pulling into the NJMP facility for the first time is pretty cool...

RSV4Pluto

Okay, so my bike was 100% ready for the track this Saturday as of 3 hours ago. I will be glad to share the story later but, cutting to the chase. My bike fell over on the left side. Bent left clip on handlebar. In order to make it to the track on Saturday I need the parts in hand tomorrow. Any suggestions? In need of 51mm clip ons, 7/8". Tip of my stock clutch lever bent broke as well. I bent it back but missing the ball tip. Will a broken tip pass tech inspection?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Check out markbuilt racing and also ping shag moto. I might have a spare lever that fits also bring the bike by tomorrow night if Mark or Collin don't have the parts. Also an announcement can be made Saturday AM or at the riders meeting to see if anyone has spares.

Last edited:

RSV4Pluto

Thanks for the speedy reply, so mark is with mark built and Collin with ping shag moto? I'm leaving Scranton, pa tomorrow . What time should I show up to these places? Very unfamiliar territory for me. And where can I find you? Thank you for the help , again.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
OIn need of 51mm clip ons, 7/8". Tip of my stock clutch lever bent broke as well. I bent it back but missing the ball tip. Will a broken tip pass tech inspection?

No, the levers have to have the ball on the end. I hope you find a lever!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Call Charity or Mark or any of the guys at www.markbiltracebikes.net

Shagmoto is on facebook. Shoot him an IM

collin@shagmoto.com Collin's email

Last option is Revzilla, they have a philly retail location which is kind of on the way for you. Mark/Charity is most likely your best bet, his shop is right next to NJMP but you might have to upgrade/change from stock clip-ons to woodcraft or vortex.

RSV4Pluto

Thanks for all the feedback, I called mark, he doesn't have 51mm bars. Revzilla said they can't get me anything to there location today for pick up. So things are starting to look slim. Last hope is to call my Aprilia dealer 5 hrs away in MD. Then from dealer , 5 hours to NJMP. And the messed up thing is I just drove there yesterday to get my oil pan replaced 10 hours of driving, unloaded bike in driveway bike was slightly facing down hill , I was going to turn it around to test drive it, I was piss tired, neighbor starts talking to me for the first time in 3 years and 2 minutes into the conversation , bike roles forward kicks the stand up and boom . Ughhh all this prep time to be defeated the day before the track, I can't believe it.