first track day

bmeck21

hey everyone! only took 12 years of riding...but finally doing a track day in Pittsburgh june 17th!! normal to be nervous? the guys at my dealer said I would become addicted, they have been doin N2 along time and love it. any tips?

bmart

Control Rider
Start saving your pennies!

It is normal to be nervous. Listen to the coaches. go to any meeting they offer to learn the skills you'll need to be safe and proficient. HAVE FUN! I wish that I were able to be there.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Don't be nervous. Everyone there has been in the same spot as you. Let people know its your first time and you will be amazed at how many people will go out of their way to help you out. Listen to the riders meeting carefully, read the information posted on the web page. Introduce yourself to the people around you. Chances are they will become some of your closest friends. And yes, addiction hits hard.......lol.

Post up any questions you have. Nobody on here will flame you for asking anything. We all love this sport and do everything we can for each other.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard, this will be the first PIRC I have missed in several years. They are correct about the addiction part, read the riders manual and feel free to post up questions.

Tom

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
Don't be nervous. Everyone there has been in the same spot as you. Let people know its your first time and you will be amazed at how many people will go out of their way to help you out. Listen to the riders meeting carefully, read the information posted on the web page. Introduce yourself to the people around you. Chances are they will become some of your closest friends. And yes, addiction hits hard.......lol.

Post up any questions you have. Nobody on here will flame you for asking anything. We all love this sport and do everything we can for each other.
This covers everything I could have shared!
Welcome to N2!!

2blueyam

Welcome and even though my first track day was 10 years ago, I still remember the jitters of the first time! Just relax, have an open mind, listen and have fun.

If the dealer can diagnose and come up with a fix for my tow vehicle before then (dang idiot light is on), I should be up to Pitt Race for the first time on the weekend of the 17th and 18th as well!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Hint....Try to get to tech as early as you can...it opens at 7:00am. Bring your leathers, helmet, gloves boots, ID and, oh yeah...your bike! That way, if there is any issue there is a lot of time to fix it. The usual issues are a too tight chain, missing numbers (tape numbers are OK). If you get there the evening before, look me up and I'll give you a "pre-tech" just to insure smooth sailing. I'm in the VOLTAGE toyhauler. Welcome to the addiction!

bmeck21

AMAZING!! couldn't have had a better time, actually did Saturday and Sunday, the whole N2 group was great learned a lot from the CRs from race lines to body position, still tons to practice and learn, I considered myself a good rider, but after seeing these guys in I group and advanced really puts things into perspective I would imagine it takes years to acquire that kind of skill, everybody was very friendly and helpful, only bad things, allergic to bees and had a bee fly somehow into my helmet had to pull of track to get that out, and on turn 17 had someone pass me on the inside and outside, haha scared me a little because I wasn't expecting an inside pass in novice group, it seemed like their were lots of wrecks people not slowing down enough in turns or just being stupid but hey you'll have that with anything, cant wait to do it again already signed up for summit main of july 10th!!, oh and how does a big knife end up on the track??????????

mpusch

Micah
AMAZING!! couldn't have had a better time, actually did Saturday and Sunday, the whole N2 group was great learned a lot from the CRs from race lines to body position, still tons to practice and learn, I considered myself a good rider, but after seeing these guys in I group and advanced really puts things into perspective I would imagine it takes years to acquire that kind of skill, everybody was very friendly and helpful, only bad things, allergic to bees and had a bee fly somehow into my helmet had to pull of track to get that out, and on turn 17 had someone pass me on the inside and outside, haha scared me a little because I wasn't expecting an inside pass in novice group, it seemed like their were lots of wrecks people not slowing down enough in turns or just being stupid but hey you'll have that with anything, cant wait to do it again already signed up for summit main of july 10th!!, oh and how does a big knife end up on the track??????????

Glad you had a good time! I remember showing up to the track and watching A group go out for the first time...

If you're teachable and put in the work, you'll be surprised how quickly you can pick things up. Especially early on when you don't run into diminishing returns right away.

Yeah, you definitely shouldn't get passed up the inside of a turn in novice. The reality is that sometimes people ignore the rules and sometimes a rider just makes a mistake. If something happens on the track like that, you're encouraged to talk to a CR. Feels like the hot and dry days can be some of the sloppiest when it comes to rider habits...

The knife...was crazy.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider

I remember that session with the Bee. I'm the CR that asked you after the session what happened. That was a first! Glad you had a good time, and that you learned. Keep the great attitude and you'll find the improvements come faster than you expect. Hope to see you out there soon!

2blueyam

I did make it up there and had a great time too. Sorry you got passed on the inside, but glad you came out pretty much OK.