? for any CBR600RR riders ('o7 if that matters)

djhurayt

I will be doing my second event in a row at the same track. My front tire (Dunlop slick) is showing significantly more wear on the right side than the left. I know I can flip the tire and even out the wear.

But does anybody know if I can just flip the whole wheel and tire. There is a directional arrow on the wheel, although the wheel (stock) is not one with slanted (directional) spokes.

It looks like I should be able to just flip the whole tire and wheel. Anybody know for sure?

bmart

Control Rider
I would not suggest flipping the wheel even if it is mechanically possible. It is designed to withstand much more Force Under braking by rotating in the proper direction. Flipping the front tire, you will prove to be sure that there isn't too much we're on the side with more wear. If it is very thin or cupped at all you're not going to want to turn either way on it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agreed, the rotors are directional, so don't flip the wheel.
Personally, I only flip rears. I know pretty much everybody flips rears. I don't think anyone I know flips fronts. Could be mistaken. But I get at least 2 rears to a front, so my fronts last 8 days.

bmart

Control Rider
I track mileage and tread depth and flip fronts and Rears religiously to get maximum wear.

bmart

Control Rider
Gotta love voice to text. Try this in the middle of my original post:

"Flipping the front tire, you will have to be sure that there isn't too much wear on the side with more wear."

A worn area will provide a high point on each side of it, and if worn thin enough will not hold sufficient heat for reliable grip.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Do not mount your wheel backwards. I flip my front tires but I only use slicks....When I used DOTs I would flip them as well however, you can't ride them in the wet.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I know Dunlop makes the rear slicks as bi-directional due to the way they are manufactured....didn't think that was true of the fronts....?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
yeah, Pirelli will tell you not to flip, they aren't bi-directional, but we all do it!
I've actually never needed to flip a front, they always seem to wear pretty evenly side-to-side.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Dunlop fronts last forever, if that front is showing wear more on one side...replace it. It's time.