Fork seals

Scb762

If my riding scares you, just imagine how I feel
I’m new to bike tech. I have a fork seal that leaves a very light coating when it is compressed and rebounds. I will get them rebuilt over the winter but I have 2 track days left. Is that “safe”? Would it pass tech? I’m in novice group

Motofun352

Control Rider
Keep an eye on it....Missing some background info. I assume no scratches on the tube. Age since last rebuild? If relatvely new it may just be some "dirt" on the seal. This can sometimes be fixed with a seal mate. As long as it isn't "leaking" it should be OK for a short while.

Scb762

If my riding scares you, just imagine how I feel
No scratches on the tube. It’s a stock 2003 R1 with 10,000 miles before i bought it. I had Karns Performance set up the stock suspension for the track. I did a week-long trip at the tail of the dragon, then made it track-only. It has 2 track days on it and the clock is at 10,500 miles.

I did try making a fish-hook with a thin piece of plastic to see if i’d get lucky and it didn’t improve or worsen it.

meanstrk

Control Rider
If tech sees it leaking profusely, it will not pass. If it is merely leaving a slight film without building up are draining down the leg, it should be fine, but you will need to keep an eye on it through the day.

bmart

Control Rider
I have used the sock trick before. What you don't want is fluid on the brake pads and rotors. Slide a sock on there with a zip tie that doesn't impede movement of the forks, brakes, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_9726.JPG
    IMG_9726.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 12