Front sproket shaft.... R6

I went to change the front sprocket on my 02 R6 for the first time since I bought the bike used and upon putting the lock nut back on ... darn if the thing is not striped some. Shaft looks ugly too. I thought I might get a die for that 27mm thread (i'm guessing now since I measured with a caliper) and clean up the threads and with any luck a new nut will get me back on two tires.

The Yamaha shop could not tell me the thread count nor nut size. They just know they have the correct nut ordered.

I am presuming someone can tell me what that call out is off the top of their head. My question is what tool can I use to gage the diameter and proper thread so I can purchase the correct die from a tap and die set?

Does anyone know what that thread on the shaft call out is?

Big Deezul

you should not have to pay for that nut, it was recalled by yamaha

dont know the info you are looking for though, I wouldnt mess with the threads, you cut one wrong and the tranny needs to come out

Jmurr46

Talk to a local machine shop and ask if they could help you out. A die that size would be extremely expensive, probably in the neighborhood of $100. A thread file might also work for you.

I got just the place.... Nut was recalled? Ill ask about that at the shop.. crap. A new R6 is in the work. I mean a new used one from some AMA racer.

I got another good idea depending upon how bad the threads are. 4&6 said that if the hardened steel threads don' t clean up the bold could be spot welded on until winter. The winter we replace the shaft.

I never thought of that ...

does anyone have a number for torque for that nut?

Keith64

To repair the threads you can use a re-threading die. Go to the McMaster Carr website and search on part # 2573A84 (27mm x 3mm die), costs $25.

At 27mm diameter, it looks like the only metric thread has a pitch of 3mm, if you want to double-check you can get a cheap thread gage at Sears for $5 or something.