Gear for an Intro Day

sr1

This is a small board so I'm sure folks will see that I posted in the SE forum and connect the two. For the record I will ride in my Syed leathers....

However, I might meet a friend at the track and she doesn't have leathers. What is the minimum gear spec for an Intro rider? Thanks!

Steve

rk97

I just checked, and the riders' manual is a bit vague here...

leads me to believe that intro and beginner classes are the same: minimum is a 2-piece suit (textile acceptable) with full gloves and over-the-ankle boots.

if she doesn't already have a jacket set up to zip-together with pants, renting leathers might be the cheap option.

JohnS

I only found this so I guess it applies to everyone

PERSONAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED
o Helmet, undamaged, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard
approved, with eye protection. No flip-up helmets allowed.
o Leather or textile riding suits (i.e., Cordura, Kevlar, or Aerostich-type).
No textile suits will be allowed in the Advanced group. Two-piece
suitsmust zip together; full circumference is required.
Airmesh-style suits (where you can see your skin through
them) will NOT be permitted.
o No jeans allowed. Rental leathers are available.
o Sturdy over-the-ankle leather boots
o Leather gauntlet-type gloves
o Back protector (strongly recommended)

SwannyR6

My buddy and I are interested in coming to one of these Intro Days to try it out before we start dropping some real cash into this.

That being said, neither of us have riding pants. I've read through the Manual, but didn't really see anything except for what's required for the other groups.

Could someone please confirm that 2 pairs of jeans are allowed for the Intro Class??

barry38

Minimum is a two peice full circumference zip textile or leather suit, no jeans allowed. This is outlined on page 20 of the current rider's manaul. You can rent leathers at most events, price is $50 if I remember right.......

rk97

You really really want riding pants, if not leathers...

I was at the intro day where the guy had jeans on. He didn't go down, but the day before, a different intro rider did.

bottom line: it's your ass ...and none of us want to see it bleeding on the track!

parts@nesba.com if you have questions about pricing or sizing. You may also be able to borrow someone's "rain" leathers if you find someone particularly generous coming to the same event as you :)

Blaise

SwannyR6;4400 wrote: My buddy and I are interested in coming to one of these Intro Days to try it out before we start dropping some real cash into this.

That being said, neither of us have riding pants. I've read through the Manual, but didn't really see anything except for what's required for the other groups.
I'll try really hard not to sound momish, but even if you're riding on the street, you should already be wearing riding pants. I might be the minority, but when I rode on the street (quit recently and joined NESBA) I did so in 2pc leathers, sidis, race gloves, back protector, etc -- the same gear I now wear on the track.

What am I trying to say? Buy the pants, zip them up, try the track day. Even if you don't like it (you will), the safety gear is a VERY sound investment for street riding. There are too many riders I know who insisted on riding in full gear minus pants who ended up with serious injury which could have been easily avoided with a $150 set of leather pants.

Example: $275 for a full 2pc suit...

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/teknic/chicane_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
jjm004;2431 wrote: someone had jeans on today at beaverun. They must not be to strict with that rule. .

I was running the event on the 20th and I do not recall anyone on the track in Jeans. We did have someone try to come through Tech in jeans, but sent them over to see Chris Moon to rent leathers. If you need leathers it's best to e-mail Chris at parts@nesba.com and let him know what event you'll be attending and the size you will require, that way he will have one that will fit you at the track.

Blaise

^ Todd, there was indeed a rider with an Icon jacket/boots/jeans running in the Intro group on the 20th. I was confused because at the time I thought that the whole 'two pairs of jeans' wasn't accepted anymore.

To add to the suspense, I remember being behind him in the carousel and him almost having his knee on the ground!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Blaise;4642 wrote: ^ Todd, there was indeed a rider with an Icon jacket/boots/jeans running in the Intro group on the 20th. I was confused because at the time I thought that the whole 'two pairs of jeans' wasn't accepted anymore.
Yeah, I also saw that guy. Did a double-take and checked it out to be sure. I was surprised, too, as I thought they no longer allowed 2 pair of jeans. There was a control rider with him at some point, so I didn't question it.

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
My bad! I missed that, and for the record, it is no longer acceptable and should not have happened out at the Beaver. We will have to make sure that everyone is up to speed with the new Riders Manual.

SwannyR6

Thanks for the heads up guys and all of the information!!!

I do currently ride the street with jeans. Although, just the other day I purchased the Icon Field Armor Leg Guards and was thinking of purchasing some riding jeans (reinforced with kevlar inserts) soon. I know, I know, it's not the same as leathers, but I figure it's better than just regular jeans.

As for the intro day we would probably rent a suit, but after that would go out and buy one.

Here's what I feel is another really stupid question: :doh:
Does anyone show up to track days on their bike?
Meaning, if you don't have a way to trailer the bike :tothetrack:, do people just ride it there?

Blaise

Don't buy the jeans. First off, they run what, $80-100? Then you rent a suit for $50 and you've already spent as much as you'd need for a pair of leather pants, and you still have seriously sub-par protection. Why not just leathers? Worried people won't think you're cool?

Just in general, don't buy Icon gear. It's designed to look 'cool' on the street, not to protect you in a crash. That's why they sell $500 jackets without zippers for pants, CE-armor, etc.... I've seen people crash in Icon gear on the street and it's not pretty.

Riding to the track is a bad idea... I've seen it done, but then how do you get home if you drop it?

Oh god... this is Icon's advertising for that armor?

Almost everyone rides without any type of leg protection...until now. The Field Armor Leg guards are the missing link in the street rider's bag of tricks. Form fitting construction with a chassis of impact absorbing foam and molded plastic that's sleek enough to wear under most denim jeans. Designed to take the hit, so your legs don't have to.
Sorry, but I can't stand the Icon brand because of the typical rider they cater to. :banghead:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I agree with Blaise, just get a good leather jacket and pants (with armor), don't waste your money on those kevlar jeans. If it'll be for street use as well as track, a 2 piece will be more practical for street use, but get a set that has a full circumference zipper. Check out Alpinestars, Technic, RS Taichi. Also look at www.newenough.com, sometimes they have good deals.

Blaise

Newenough has fantastic deals in the closeout section. Also, don't worry about the zipper not matching if you buy the pieces separately, most jackets and pants come with matching attachments and my local tailor was able to mate them for $10.

rk97

www.ironpony.com also has fantastic closeouts. they're smaller than newenough.com, and they will have fewer choices in size/color, but the prices are typically lower as well.

the "violator" boot is $99. a decent pair of gloves can be found for $20-$35 (i had to get red instead of blue because of sizing, but for $20, ask me how much i care???)

jpaulsen

Good or bad, there are always a few that ride their bike to the track. Not everybody has an alternative transport. Back in the day, you used to see racers come that way too!:)

As for the gear, jeans are better than shorts I guess, but you're better off with proper riding pants. I would tend to agree with the other responses, but I don't knock all of Icon's stuff. They do make a few good items IMO, but their target market is the street/stunt crowd.