Getting a title for a salvaged bike

thull25

Hey guys, I was wanting to buy a used, salvaged, motorcycle for track/street use but it only comes with a bill of sale. I was wondering what the process was for getting it titled as a salvaged vehicle. Since I only have a bill of sale im a little confused about how the DOT explaions the process online. I do know that I need a salvage theft exam first. Has anyone had to deal with this issue before? Can you explain the process?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Ummmmmm....You're going to have to check with Iowa's Department of Motor Vehicles for that. Each state's vehicle titling system is going to have subtle nuances unique to that state.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What D-ZUM said. And the process can be a pain in the ass in some states. I'd pass on the bike unless it's for track only. If you want one for street use, I'd look for one with a title, it'll make your life much, much easier.

TurboBlew

thull25;300337 wrote: Hey guys, I was wanting to buy a used, salvaged, motorcycle for track/street use but it only comes with a bill of sale. I was wondering what the process was for getting it titled as a salvaged vehicle. Since I only have a bill of sale im a little confused about how the DOT explaions the process online. I do know that I need a salvage theft exam first. Has anyone had to deal with this issue before? Can you explain the process?

Bill of Sale means bupkiss if there is a 17 digit VIN on the frame. I would research the VIN through NCIC. If you have access on a dealer level... you can find out who the MSO was assigned to. If the seller has the original MSO... thats as good as a title if you couple it with a Bill of Sale. Just dont lose it. If I were buying a 2012 bike and the seller said "No title"... its usually because they dont own the bike outright or some 3rd party has rights to it (that trump your cash).
Lost titles can be reissued by States. MSOs are difficult to reissue but can be done with the proper documentation.

If there is no VIN on the frame/bike... some states allow for a "builder" title. The bike has to pass DOT standards though as well as a few other processes. FL is the easiest of all states for that. You will need to punch your own VIN into the frame.

Ive seen people learn "hard" lessons about ownership when they don't have paperwork for the bike. Also you wont be able to get insurance coverage should you elect that. And yes... my clean titled track bikes all have titles & insurance.

Salvage Title is another legit form of ownership documentation. Usually issued by States where the vehicle is no longer suitable for road use. Some of them have assignment areas some don't. Generally speaking if they get lost its difficult to get duplicates.

andykurz

TurboBlew;300384 wrote: the seller said "No title"... its usually because they dont own the bike outright or some 3rd party has rights to it (that trump your cash).
Or it's a hottie.