Getting a title for a salvaged bike

thull25

Hey guys, I was wanting to buy a used, salvaged, motorcycle for track/street use but it only comes with a bill of sale. I was wondering what the process was for getting it titled as a salvaged vehicle. Since I only have a bill of sale im a little confused about how the DOT explaions the process online. I do know that I need a salvage theft exam first. Has anyone had to deal with this issue before? Can you explain the process?

bluers

I'll let others chime in, but from my understanding, in NC it is more trouble than it is worth. If it's a track only bike a bill of sale is probably fine (that's all I have with mine), but if you want it for street too then you may want one with a title in hand.

A salvage title is fine. It can be registered and insured.

andykurz

The rules depend on your state. I would check on your DMV website for the process. In many states, it is really challenging.

Not sure about your state laws, But in N.Y I know several people who Register their salvage bikes In Vermont, N.Y is a PINTA with salvage titles..Good Luck.

thull25

Thanks a lot guys, I think im going to pass on any bike without a title, unless its a track bike from a trusted source.