Getting my bearings straight..

Hi everyone..soon I am going to service the swingarm on my 02 gsxr 750. Most Google searches come up with "All Balls" bearing kits. Does "All Balls" make quality bearings is my question ..?
Thank you again

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
No. Period. I wouldn't use All Balls for anything other than shooting out of a slingshot.

bmart

Control Rider
This feels like a tire/oil conversation...

I've used them before without issue, but there may be better options out there.

I didnt use the search truth be told.
And I don't want to start a debate..might anyone else make a prepackaged bearing kit ?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have used AllBallz before without any issues. You can go ceramic, but knowing your bike is from 2002, I doubt you want to pay the exorbitant cost that comes with them. Your other option is OEM bearings.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I can say first hand that many if not most of their products are Chinese import bearings. The seals are not correct. They approximate inside and outside diameter seals and substitute what they think is “close enough” in order to minimize inventory and cost.

Unless you have a need for ceramic or some super special bearing there is no reason to deviate from oem.

This is not opinion- the all balls substitution thing is verifiable fact.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Pull the bearings and seals and read the code (or just take them with you). Go to your local bearing supply house. Insist on SKF or other USA or German made bearings. They cost twice as much as the Chinese stuff for a reason. Consider going with double shielded for applications in dirty, dusty service.
PS, needle bearings won't be shielded....

Motofun352 I like your idea....the low cost of the kit had me comcerned.
Google just revealed a bearing distributor 5 miles out and open Saturdays.
Thanks again everyone

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Folks, here's a little more detail on the "All Balls" situation. I first became aware of All Balls back toward the end of my Motocross racing days - or more accurately, after I was pretty much done racing but was still very active riding in the dirt. Some of the riding we did, like the Blackwater 100 course, was ridiculously hard on equipment. Didn't have much money, and All Balls was making a big push into the industry. As an aside, there are probably not very many people that read this forum that have replaced bearings in all kinds of applications as much as I have other than guys who solely wrench for a living....

Fast forward to about 5 years ago, when I started riding on the street again. I helped a friend rebuild a 750, ordered a set of All Balls steering head bearings (upper and lower), and attempted to put them in. The bearings were not even stamped with part numbers - which is a key indicator that they sure were not US, Japan or German manufactured (the only 3 places I'll use a bearing from). More problematic right off the start however was the fact that the top dust seal with the kit was not even close to the same dimensions as the one I removed from the bike. I called All Balls, who assured me that these were the correct parts. Time was a factor, so we just went ahead and put them in. Less than one year later, when the steering got notchy, I pulled the triple out and inspected the assembly - only to find that the seal was not sealing (it didn't cover the bearing completely), moisture had gotten in, and the inferior quality of the race steel had rusted. I chalked it up to just a fluke at the time.

Then a few years ago I bought a beautiful 2002 CBR1100XX Blackbird in February of 2014. I decided to go over it before the season, and to replace the steering and swingarm bearings. I bought All Balls kits. I was very surprised to find that not only were the seals obviously not to the "OEM Spec" in terms of inside and outside diameter, but also that the bearings/races were different depth than OEM! This time I called All Balls, and didn't accept the "they have to be right" answer, and asked for somebody with authority. I ended up getting into a discussion about their business model and how they package their kits.

All Balls outright stated that what they do is cross reference bearings, races, and seals based on their own judgement to create packages with "suitable" units that allow them to maximize the different variety of applications - with the minimum of actual different bearings, races and seals. They feel that their "judgement" is "good enough", and that the duty cycle for most of their customers really makes it so that the units don't need to worry about living up to the same duty cycle as the manufacturer designed to. They are not concerned with providing high quality precision bearings made in the US, Germany or Japan.

I'm not accusing anyone here of being this, but their target customer is the lazy uneducated customer who wants it easy and cheap - that's really who they primarily market their business to. I'm pretty sure you will not find an All Balls product on Matt Scholz, Tony Elias, or Josh Herrins bikes - or probably even on their pit scooters. How often do you replace the swingarm bearings, steering bearings, or linkage bushings/bearings in your bike? I'm thinking it's worth it to put quality parts in your scoot. If you question that, read my story about Chain Adjusters from last October and maybe you'll feel differently....

3 easy way to get your bearings.

1) Go to Partzilla.com. Easy peasy. OEM products - not aftermarket - typically either Japan or German bearings. Shipped to your door. Labeled.

2) Give your local supporting dealer a call - if you're a track guy, they'll often be giving you discounts anyway and they'll take care of you. We need those guys - doesn't hurt to support them. Same excellent quality OEM bearings.

3) Do what Jack suggested. The only tough part there are the seals. It's a lot easier to match up the bearings than it is to match the seals, and often our bikes will take special order stuff rather than what the bearing distributors will provide.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Bill has a craw, and all ballz is stuck in it.

Seriously, I hears this before and in the past 2003 I used them and have heard they have degraded since them. Option 4 Liam Barnes at Barnes Brothers Motorcycles.