Gloves

r6blondie

Staff member
Control Rider
How long do gloves last for you guys? I have a tendency to develop holes in the finger tips and with the way these gloves are made, you can't fix it without taking the whole glove apart. I've had a few Alpinestars and RSTaichi.
Recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
I get many years (my street pair are into their 10th year) out of a set of Helds. My last track Helds went 6 years and I'm still using them on rain days. I keep logs on everything... Two new pair waiting to be cycled in are in the closet. I hope that I live long enough to need them. :)

You can make a reasonable repair to holes in the fingers with E6000 adhesive and a leather patch (~1" x .5"?) from the inside. I cut a small oval from old gloves in an area that is lightly used, like the back of the hand. E600 on the side I want to adhere to the inside of the damaged glove. Get someone with smaller fingers to put it on their finger tip and slide it up to the hole. Press and voila...let it dry and you're good to go. I usually put a wood clamp or vise on mine until the adhesive is dry.

Attachments

• Glove repair.jpg
    Glove repair.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 10

tdelegram

Control Rider
Like Dave, one to two years depending on brand. I agree they can be repaired but after the year I had with injuries to both hands I prefer to go with new ones as there are things wearing like seems that might let loose at the worst time.

bmart

Control Rider
I've ridden with friends who burn through them 1-4 pair a year. It just never worked out that way for me. I'm pretty light on the bars and have no HP... :) I did see a lot more wear when I was on my school bus steering 750 than when on my nimble Yamaha 600s.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I get lots of years, like 5-ish, with Held Phantoms. I do wash in water and condition at the end of each season.

bmart

Control Rider
One step too far? lol

1597347337453.png

1597347893012.png

I too wash and condition all leather equipment between seasons.

I look at track days as 70%-85% days. I don't and won't run 100%. I like to leave a lot of margin of error. If folks are really working it, I can see gloves wear rate being faster. Maybe racers can chime in if they change gloves when they change oil...or socks. :)

Last edited:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Lots of factors really
quality of gloves
Grips
Bike (Hp/weight)
Days on course.
Body chemistry. After all it is skin and out sweat is all slightly different. Rinsing does help of course extend life

2blueyam

I go through other gloves (Racer, RSTaichi, etc. ) quickly, usually seams fail. My Held Phantoms and Titans last for years.

bmart

Control Rider
Roger that. For me, same for Vanson suits and Alpinestars boots. They really hold up. I wear the soles off of my boots over many years and have them resoled by Alpinestars directly. Vanson suits get maintenance only after an incident with Kevlar thread and a big needle, or E600 and leather underneath for a patch. I still have and use my Vanson suit from 2004.

damiankelly

I have heard a good suggestion
Bring two pairs for use in one day. Alternate because it allows them to dry more and Extend the life.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Taichi's and Held's are my favorites so far. Just got a set of Dianese "In" gloves I'm going to use for the street. My wide palms and shorter but fat fingers make my hands an odd fit.

Just picked up a pair of these...interesting design.

After this year, according to STG, you will no longer be able to get Held gloves in the US. The are no longer importing them.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Roger that. For me, same for Vanson suits and Alpinestars boots. They really hold up. I wear the soles off of my boots over many years and have them resoled by Alpinestars directly. Vanson suits get maintenance only after an incident with Kevlar thread and a big needle, or E600 and leather underneath for a patch. I still have and use my Vanson suit from 2004.
I finally retired my Vanson from 2006. When Todd repaired it last year, he said the leather was starting to dry rot and the seams/stitching would fail. Great suit.
Same experience with the A-Star boots. A-Stars resoles for about a hundred bucks.

Greg ZX6R

You can bring a second pair to wear on hot days while the other pair dries out, or bring and extra fan to dry them between sessions. Worked well at Summit this past Monday. Helmet drying on one fan, gloves on the other.

bmart

Control Rider
I'd ask Vanson or Barnacle Bill. From what I understand, it is the salt in the sweat and the loss of oils that cause the damage. they get brittle and fail. Rinsing and reconditioning them frequently would seem to help. Letting the dry would seem to do nothing other than make them not slimy when you put them on. lol