Got any riding quirks?

Gorecki

Just thought this could be an amusing topic. What ritual/weird/OCD types of things do people do for ride prep or while riding.

I must have without any variance GUM! Partially to prevent teeth from chattering on rough spots but also gives an outlet for nervous energy. So instead of having a tight jaw, stiff body parts I funnel that energy by chomping away.

Also my first ride of the day I go through a pretty strong 'pre-flight' process checking over the bike, tire pressures, fluid levels…etc. I would think this is fairly common but maybe not.

Anyone else?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Gorecki;157926 wrote:
Also my first ride of the day I go through a pretty strong 'pre-flight' process checking over the bike, tire pressures, fluid levels…etc. I would think this is fairly common but maybe not.

Anyone else?
I do that, too. And I keep checking throughout the day. I'm particularly cautious about making sure my kickstand is up, as I have the switch disabled. I have to, as going over bumps makes the kickstand bounce enough to cause the switch to partially activate, making my bike lose power and causing the FI light to flash.

I'd watch the gum chewing. If you fall, you could choke on it. Perhaps consider a mouth guard instead? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'll need a custom fit from my dentist, as those boil and bite ones are made for large guys' mouths!

Gorecki

HondaGalToo;157927 wrote: I'd watch the gum chewing. If you fall, you could choke on it. Perhaps consider a mouth guard instead? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'll need a custom fit from my dentist, as those boil and bite ones are made for large guys' mouths!
Yeah, I see your point. But frankly I've been knocked on my ass tumbling like a rag doll running full sprint playing soccer dozens of times, hundreds of matches and don't recall even losing my gum let alone inhaling it. This is the *other* place I do the gum thing, for what ever reasons, I feel naked without it. :dunno:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Gorecki;157936 wrote: Yeah, I see your point. But frankly I've been knocked on my ass tumbling like a rag doll running full sprint playing soccer dozens of times, hundreds of matches and don't recall even losing my gum let alone inhaling it. This is the *other* place I do the gum thing, for what ever reasons, I feel naked without it. :dunno:
I chew it street riding. My problem is I love bubble gum, forget about the full face helmet, blow a bubble, which then bursts on the chin guard. Sigh. I have my moments.

hank

HondaGalToo;157927 wrote: Perhaps consider a mouth guard instead? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'll need a custom fit from my dentist, as those boil and bite ones are made for large guys' mouths!
They are available in smaller sizes... even for children...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
hank;157939 wrote: They are available in smaller sizes... even for children...
Yeah, I've seen the children's ones. Guess I should try one of those first, as the dentist-made one will be really expensive, and I'm not sure insurance will cover it....

hank

HondaGalToo;157940 wrote: Yeah, I've seen the children's ones. Guess I should try one of those first, as the dentist-made one will be really expensive, and I'm not sure insurance will cover it....
My Dentist rides motorcycles and also does equestrian jumping - he recommends the basic boil & bite although he is happy to custom fit a very expensive one...

I went to Sports Authority and bought several different brands/sizes/styles until I found the best overall fit for me. They are really inexpensive relative to the cost of other safety equipment we use...

The smaller sizes are referred to as 'youth -sized':
http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/youth-mouthguards.html

bmart

Control Rider
With your brights on? Hey Mr...this isn't that kind of list. :D

I sing the blues a lot, really loud. It makes me laugh when a corner worker can hear me, looks over, and laughs. :haha:

Gum? Really? I would be afraid of having anything in my mouth for fear that I may bite my cheek while chewing and riding.

I feel strongly about torque wrenches on any bike before I ride it. I've seen too many guys lose parts while riding because they used the German method...

Steve

I like to tech as close to 7AM as possible. Then I go back to my pit and look my bike over. There was 1 time this year I missed the 8AM deadline, and I lost 2 bodywork mounting screws somewhere. It was the tail section, so no biggie, but....

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Yeah if Steve ain't first in line we call in the medics. Something must be wrong if he's late :D

Fastguy

I like to wear boxer briefs. They allow me to be as agile as a cat on my trusted track steed when contorting myself into the necessary go-fast positions. :cool:

Regular boxers prohibit me from being as flexible. :eek:

jfeagin

bmart;157946 wrote: .... I feel strongly about torque wrenches on any bike before I ride it. I've seen too many guys lose parts while riding because they used the German method...
Yeah, I've got several stashed under various body panels in case I have to stop on the track to tighten something up.

Other than that, I like to top off the power steering fluid at lunch.