Heat cycle myth busting from Dunlop

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The first club in the NY/NJ/PA area was Reduc Sportbike Association, started in 1992. Small club, rode at Pocono, Summit, and BeaveRun only. NESBA came a couple of years later, they were much bigger, running in multiple regions. Trackdays may have started before that on the west coast, I wouldn't know about that.

raylee

And with older tires, there's less rubber to hold heat, so as Dunlop recommends 23psi hot in their rear, with a tire that has 5 to 6 days on it already I may run 21-22 psi hot. That gives me a greater
contact patch with the track surface that will compensate for reduced amount of rubber available to hold heat/grip. This allows for more flexing in the tire carcass generating heat as well.

Didn't even think of this. I've got like 3 rear tires that each have between 3-4 days on 'em.. I'll have to give this a go this Monday.

Dylan, if anybody knows its Judy. She gave me the 'oral history' of track days from Reduc, to NESBA to TPM on day at NJMP-Thunderbolt. It was a fascinating story of what the early clubs were like, the leaders and the splits that came and the evolution of the rules (i.e. group structure and passing rules and who, when and how to get bumped to the next level). I think she even knew how Rodger Lyle got started.

Come on out to a N2 track day, many of us have sat under yours and your Dad's coaching and I am sure one of the CSS dates is close to or right beside a N2 date and you could chat with Judy and the rest of us too. Between sessions of course.

BZ

Dylan ,
I do know that you were the very first ever "control rider" but I don't remember how the story goes.

Dylan Code

I do know in the late 80's/early 90's Wendell Phillips (owner of Lockhart Phillips) was doing track days at So Cal tracks. However prior to that, in 1985 there was a program started by my father in the mornings of the training events we held, where local riders could pay $20 or something like that and ride on the track. Back then he called it the BYOB program. Bring your own bike, throw down $20 and ride for a few sessions in the morning while the track was vacant (the students were in class). No coaching, just track time on your own bike. When we were going over how we were going to keep the riders from going bananas on track, we came up with the idea that I would lead them around as a group to control the pace. We called it being the "Control Rider". We made the sessions 20mins long.

It's possible that someone else came up with this format/idea earlier, which is why I was asking about the NE USA.

Dylan Code

Come on out to a N2 track day, many of us have sat under yours and your Dad's coaching and I am sure one of the CSS dates is close to or right beside a N2 date and you could chat with Judy and the rest of us too. Between sessions of course.

BZ

I would love to hear that history, maybe next year when we come by NJMP.

I'm sure I'll be lurking around NJMP next season, hopefully with Bubba. I love talking bikes!

God willing Judy, John and Sue were down for my birthday last weekend and we are scamming. We may have a new toy to ride if its ready; believe it or not its four stroke :eek:.

BZ

Dylan Code

Bubba,
I see you have a 125. Here's a oooold shot of me on a Honda MT125. This was Willow Springs around 1984.

Attachments

• mt125 (Large).jpg
    mt125 (Large).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 18
Bubba,
I see you have a 125. Here's a oooold shot of me on a Honda MT125. This was Willow Springs around 1984.

WOW! Old skool cool 2T! Most people don't know what a Honda RS125 is let alone a MT.

My friend John, whom I previously mentioned, was the one who inspired me to join the 2T club. He was often the only 2T running. He has owned and ridden pretty much every modern 2T except a Honda RS250. He currently rides a Aprilia RSR125 and is scamming on a RSW.

He is a dear friend and has taught me much.

BZ