Hello from North GA!

JonathanNorthGA

Sup everyone. I have my first track day scheduled for the July 2nd/3rd weekend at Road Atlanta, super stoked about it, but also feel slightly intimidated by the tech requirements, and what tools that may or may not be staples of a track day. I've been riding for 10+ years on street, but never ridden the track. I'll be on a new-ish Yamaha R7, which I know isn't optimized for the track, but it'll have to do for now.

I've been talking to the service dept. at my local shop about working with me on getting the bike prepped - the last thing I would want to do is show up and not pass inspection, or have to still have lots of stuff to do before they let me on the track! So they're gonna help me out with the drilling for safety wiring, disconnecting front/rear lights, etc so that I don't run into issues with tape melting the lenses and all that crap.

Looking forward to sharpening my skills on the bike, and making new friends!

Jonathan

MK3Brent

Treebeard
I'll be on a new-ish Yamaha R7, which I know isn't optimized for the track, but it'll have to do for now.
Stuff and nonsense... you're going to absolute rip around on that thing with a smile your helmet can barely contain.
So they're gonna help me out with the drilling for safety wiring, disconnecting front/rear lights, etc so that I don't run into issues with tape melting the lenses and all that crap.
You will be in the Intro or Novice group, so you don't need to do all that drilling and safety wiring.
I'd recommend reading the rider's guide/handbook here:https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/N2-Riders-Manual_v2.0.6.pdf

Basically, make sure your bike isn't leaking anything, your brakes/tires are in good condition, and your chain tension isn't too tight/loose. Err on the side of looser than tighter.

Other than that, you're in for a real blast.

bmart

Control Rider
You've come to the right place. Welcome! That R7 will be perfect. Consider getting a hand setting the suspension in the ballpark if you haven't already.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with the above. The stock R7 is perfectly adequate, you'll have a blast! Mostly with street bikes, at tech we find the chain is too tight, as mentioned above. See what the range is, and put it towards the looser side of the range. You don't really need to do anything for Novice group other than tape up the lights, remove the mirrors, make sure nothing is leaking, tape/disconnect the brake light. And put a number on the front, it can be as simple as making one out of painters tape. As long as it is readable by the corner workers, so about 6 inch numbers.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Try not to spend too much at your dealer save that money for tires and track time, as noted above basic stuff until you're in the Advanced group, no leaks, good tires, brakes and good safety equipment.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Save that dealer money for the best safety gear you can swing. You may be able to get a good deal on used gear, check here and on the WERA website....proper fit is important especially for helmet size followed by suit size.

HA HA,....shoulda kept on reading...duh.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
JonathanNorthGA,

What size do you wear?
I'm a supermod over at the FZ09 club and there's a user selling a really nice RST airbag suit for a decent price. (UK 46).
Send me a PM if you're interested and I could get you some info.

$750
img_20220509_215520618_hdr-jpg.170785

JonathanNorthGA

Thanks so much for all the feedback, yall. What an awesome community! @Brent - Thanks for the suit reference, but I'm good on all my gear - suit, helmet, gloves, etc. Also thank you for the reminder regarding the chain tension, I had forgotten about that one.

I did notice there is also a Memorial Day track day at Little Tally that still has some spots open. So I may be able to sneak into that one as my first before Road Atlanta in July =)

Do not over think this. Make sure the bike isnt leaking. That means oil from the engine, antifreeze, forks anything like that. Then make sure the brakes, tires, and chain are all up to spec and pressures set etc. Have a good helmet, and equipment or rent everything beside the helmet of course. and you are good to go.
Listen to the instructors and be smooth on the gas and the brakes.

YOU GOT THIS!