Helmet Advice - Shoei Rf-1100 vs X-12?

warregl

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my Shoei RF-1000 and I was looking for some opinions on the RF-1100 vs the X-12. I am not opposed to spending the extras money on the X-12 but I'm not sure if it's right for me. My use would be mostly street, with a few track days a year thrown in, and I've read some reviews that the X-12 is not as street friendly as the RF-1100. I ride a naked on the street so it has a more upright position and I've read that this can cause venting issues with the X-12.

If any of you went with the X-12 were there functionality reason behind your decision to spend the extra coin or did you just want the top of the line (not that that isn't a valid reason)? Do you see issues with it on the street vs the track?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt H

The X-12 and RF-1100 have different shell shapes - go with the one that fits your head properly.

tristatejames

x12

x12 seems to geared more for the track. Should you ever need it; there are emergency removable check pads for the EMS.

worldrider929

I can't say enough about the x-11 . . . and the x-12 is the next generation.

There is a list of features that make the x-11/12 a superb tool for the track over the RF model. If you are planning to go to the track even once with the helmet then go with a helmet designed for the track. With few exceptions, if a product is ideal for the intense conditions of the track then it is all the more ideal for the street.

If it fits the shape of your head well, I wouldn't hesitate to put out the extra coin for the x-11 or x-12. ;)

Drewbie

Matt H;191329 wrote: The X-12 and RF-1100 have different shell shapes - go with the one that fits your head properly.
Totally different shapes. Look for an X-11 on closeout if that shell fits your head. Awesome helmet and will be cheaper than the X-12.

jimgl3

tristatejames;191351 wrote: x12 seems to geared more for the track. Should you ever need it; there are emergency removable check pads for the EMS.
cheek pads come out pretty darn easy... but brings up a point... i wonder if the emt's at the track have any specialty training at all in caring for riders, or if it's just whomever needed some overtime?

and i'm not complaining, but my only experience was with one that told me my shoulder couldn't possibly be broken because i wasn't in enough pain and it was broke as !@#$%^&!

LOrtega

Control Rider
If you do buy an X-11 please be sure to look at the date is was made ...
You can get some for a great price however If its more then 7 years old it will not have a warranty...

As far as the RF1100 and X12 they are both purpose built helmets

The RF1100 is a great trackday Helmet and an unbeatable street helmet
I can list about a half dozen AMA racers which race in RF1100's

The X12 ramps up the saftey features adds about 8 more vents and a more sweat absorbant liner,
also has the ER Cheek Pads.. (Which most Track EMT's) are trained to look for...

I can verify the X-12 works like a charm at the track I tested one the weekend at over 110MPH the helmet was trashed But I was up and riding the next day, so it was worth every penny....

At the end of the day just make sure you get one that fits you

warregl

Thanks for the advice all. I think going with the best fit is good advice, sadly I can't find a shop in town that stocks the X-12 and they want a restocking fee to order one if I decide it isn't for me (hazards of living in a smaller market). I know the RF-1100 fits but I understand they have different shell shapes.

LOrtega - I'm glad to hear you are ok! I'm replacing my RF-1000 after a much slower off (some cager dropped the entire contents of his oil case at of the intersection of Parham and Brook week before last and I did my impression of Nancy Kerigan). The track really is a safer place to ride :).

LOrtega

Control Rider
I can tell you that the head shapes used for both helmets are similar, however the X12 will fit slightly more Snug in the same size due to the cheek pads being a little closer to your face due to the narrower profile...

PS im a SHOEI Rep, If you are not in a rush PM me and I can direct you to a few places which may stock X12's, if thats the way you want to go

I've owned the rf1000, 2 x-11s and now the x-12. They all fit a bit different. The cheek pads in the rf1000 aren't as snug as I like and the liner (while nice) isn't as comfy as the x-11. I think its a slightly more round shell shape. The x-11 is plush and a snugger fit especially at the cheek pad area (more oval shape). I bought two x-11 helmets and crashed one (not bad) but the helmet worked well. I just bought an x-12 and its a step up from my x-11. It fits a bit more snug, which I like but the sizing is the same. The interior is even better than the x-11, and the new shield system helps make the helmet quieter than previous models. The rf1100 and the x-12 share the new shield system.

Just order the helmet you like in the same size as your rf1000. If you think you would like the helmet to be a bit more snug in the cheek pad area, then go with the x-11 or x-12. If your rf1000 is already snug in the cheeks, and any snugger would have you biting your cheeks, then go with the rf1100. They're all great helmets, just focus on the fit and you won't go wrong. Hope this helps...

warregl

sideburn34;191635 wrote: I've owned the rf1000, 2 x-11s and now the x-12. They all fit a bit different. The cheek pads in the rf1000 aren't as snug as I like and the liner (while nice) isn't as comfy as the x-11. I think its a slightly more round shell shape. The x-11 is plush and a snugger fit especially at the cheek pad area (more oval shape). I bought two x-11 helmets and crashed one (not bad) but the helmet worked well. I just bought an x-12 and its a step up from my x-11. It fits a bit more snug, which I like but the sizing is the same. The interior is even better than the x-11, and the new shield system helps make the helmet quieter than previous models. The rf1100 and the x-12 share the new shield system.

Just order the helmet you like in the same size as your rf1000. If you think you would like the helmet to be a bit more snug in the cheek pad area, then go with the x-11 or x-12. If your rf1000 is already snug in the cheeks, and any snugger would have you biting your cheeks, then go with the rf1100. They're all great helmets, just focus on the fit and you won't go wrong. Hope this helps...
Great hands on advice! I really appreciate it as I cant find an x-12 to try on.

eE jeremy

I've run the new RF1100 since it came out and love it. Owned RF1000's before that

Bottom line, they are all excellent helmets. Get what feels best on your head.