HOA issues parking trailer in driveway?

trekuhl

Control Rider
finally got pinged by my HOA about parking trailer in my driveway. anyone run into this sort of issue? doing the obvious google searches as well as getting some support from my neighbors, etc in the meantime.

thx,

-trey

barrysuperhawk

Did you explain that you would have used your front lawn, but it is harder to mow around?

Seriously, I heard story about a guy that bankrupted his HOA by making them take him to court to take down a fence, they won, he took down the fence according to the letter of the court order, as verified tby the sheriff, then put the fence back up a month later and made them sue him again. I have no idea if it's true, I cannot even remember where I heard/saw it but the theory stands. Use their own rules against them and don't ever, ever back down...

There's alot of info here:

http://www.ccfj.net/PNEWS.htm

dj life

If they have anything in writing about it in the by-laws your screwed sorry to say... But if they don't tell them to kiss your ass. The one thing you might be able to do is write a petition and have all your neighbors sign it saying that it is not an eyesore and they don't mind having it in your driveway.... Either way good luck!!!! I hate HOAs and Co-op/Condo boards... People with nothing else to do and who bitch about everything!!!!

dbakerpa

The HOA crap is hard to get around. I was knee deep in my last house deal until I read the bylaws. Shed had to be 90% similar material to the house. No boats, trailers, and limit of 2 resident vehicles alowed in the driveway. I told them to bite it and bougth in a non-restrictive neighborhood. I asked the lawyer how enforcable it was and he said it iron clad. Good news is I am investing in property near the other place for a boat and trailer storage.

TDA

Yep...it's the only reason I haven't gotten a trailer. I rent from Uhaul for that reason. Really sucks if you ask me.:moon:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Yeah..HOA's are supposed to help retain everyone's resale value...but do they? OR do they just detract potential buyers from wanting your property?

I keep my trailer in a storage lot, but it's a toy hauler as you know Mr. Trey. I'd rather keep it there, behind razor wire and in a lot loaded with security cameras then outside my front door.

I have the same language in my covenants and restrictions. I park my trailer at an off-site location and only park it in my cul-de-sac the night before my departure for an event...

Corsair

Our covenants for our subdivision has similar wording:

22. No unlicensed vehicles, salvage materials, boats, snowmobiles, recreational vehicles, trailers or campers shall be stored outside of a garage.

Unfortunately, I've got a two car garage already populated by two vehicles and one motorcycle so any hopes I've got for a trailer would be like a Kendan or Trailer-in-a-bag deal. If the stuff is in writing, as most people have already mentioned, you're kind of SOL.
Though, in the case above I could argue they are only referencing unlicensed vehicles (such as an unlicensed car or truck) and not the fact that it fails to say "licensed trailer". It's weak, I know, but possible.

JGardy_781

Got the same thing where I live in West Springfield, and yes, like everyone says, there's likely some prohibition on storage in your HOA covenants, meaning that you're basically up shit creek - they'll either fine you for the duration of the violation and place a lien on your house (so you can't sell it), or take you to court. There's a reasonably affordable place in Woodbridge (google "Holly Acres") where I store my trailer at. There are a few other options locally for storage, but these guys work pretty well for me.

/j

Trent1098S

I got around it in my subdivision because "Boat Trailers" are allowed. So I bought an 8' aluminum boat that fits quite nicely inside my 14' enclosed motorcycle trailer, thank you very much.

:)

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I got nicked by the old HOA for trailer in the driveway as well.

Ask around the local self-storage places. Most of them have spots for RV's, boats, etc., and usually are pretty reasonable rates. I pay $35/month and get 24 hr access.

TheGrouch

This is the beauty of a 6'10" tall trailer. Mine has sat in the driveway all summer. The city finally mailed out letters last week to most of the neighborhood...so I finally backed it into the garage. Problem solved.

Meat

I bought a low hauler just for this very reason. We move a lot and not parking a trailer in the yard/driveway seems to be very common item HOA don't like so much.

bodell

If the trailer has a current tag on it, you can park it in the street in front of your house. I beat my HOA with a similar situation. A legally tagged vehicle can park on a public street. The HOA cant say shit.

trekuhl

Control Rider
-i need to review it but yes I believe the policy states "trailers, camper, boats cannot be parked in driveway" so yea its an uphill battle
-street parking is out in a cul-de-sac and mostly parallel parking. being fairfax/northern VA there is slim to no parking availability 90% time.
-neighbors was on board previously and wife still on HOA and they have no probs with my trailer so he is trying to talk to other members see if an exception can be made, etc.
-going to price parking at storage place, checked couple place on google last nite and it was round $100/mo :-( but if i can expand further out prob find cheaper price.

when i bought the place 2.5 years ago i hadn't even done a trackday so only thing i checked on was that i could do vehicle maintenance in my driveway without a problem. it sucks to have spent the kind of $$$ it costs to live in NoVA area and walk to metro for work and run into this BS. my trailer is only 6x12 and in very good condition not an eyesore. i guess we will see what sort of support my neighbor can wrangle up since its a board issue and can be voted on cant hurt to try although I'm skeptical it would pass.

thanks for the comments.

-trey

JGardy_781

bodell;146475 wrote: If the trailer has a current tag on it, you can park it in the street in front of your house. I beat my HOA with a similar situation. A legally tagged vehicle can park on a public street. The HOA cant say shit.
In our area, HOA's can create what's called a "Community Parking District" (or some such...) that in a roundabout way, prohibits parking over a set period of time for any licensed vehicle, public road or not. They specifically did this in response to a non-resident parking a gorgeous (in my eyes, I guess) Featherlite 8x24 car trailer on one of our roads - genius, I thought - since the trailer owner doesn't live in the HOA, the association doesn't have any power over them to remove it, and since the street is public, the parking wasn't illegal. So, they paid a fee, got the county to declare a Community Parking District or whatever, and now, we can park anything on the street for up to 72 hours, then it's towed. Actually works in my favor - since I keep my 8x20 in a storage yard a few miles away from my house, and park it in my driveway or on the street in front of the house before trackdays as I load, it gives me a specific finite window where the more "sensitive' neighbors can't say squat about it being there, which wasn't the case before...

gkotlin

I heard a guy had to sell his trailer for that reason.

Tell them if you can't keep your clean tidy trailer in the driveway, you'll go buy an ugly old rusted school bus or first generation suburban with not one straight panel on it.

gkotlin

bodell;146475 wrote: If the trailer has a current tag on it, you can park it in the street in front of your house. I beat my HOA with a similar situation. A legally tagged vehicle can park on a public street. The HOA cant say shit.
Unless your city does not allow parking on the street overnight.

rk97

are HOA's more prevalent in certain parts of the country?

I'm not understanding why people would agree to purchase a house in an area where they disagree with the HOA rules.

TDA

I would say that most communities in high population areas have HOA rules. There are some areas which do not but they are for the most part older communities. HOA is a scam IMO...Management companies get to charge a butt load of money for services like snow removal and trash pickup. You pay for the privilege of having them tell you that you cannot paint your house a certain color, or keep stuff in your yard. What a bargain.