How tight should a race suit fit?

Jgelack

Hi, I'm in the process of ordering my first one piece race suit. I decided to order a suit from Pilot because they offer their standard suits in bigger sizes than a lot of the other manufacturers, I'm 6'2 260lbs. So I ordered a size 52US. Pilot sent me out a sample suit to try on prior to finalizing the purchase. I tried the suit on with a chest protector and both back protectors I own, one being a Forcefield Pro Sub 4, which is a relatively thick protector, and I was able to zip the suit up with "relative" ease. I feel the suit fits me well in the upper torso, but my concern is there is a little bit of extra room in the forearms, and a decent amount in the thighs. I can pinch a "fold" of leather about 1/2 in the forearm, and about a 1 1/4 in the thigh, if that makes any sense. I was wondering if this should be a concern, and does it sound like the suit is too loose? I was going to ask them to send me out the next size down to test fit, which would be a 50US. For reference, all my street jackets are a size 60Euro, which is basically a 50US. I guess I should have ordered this size to begin with, but I though it would be better to size up a little for a one piece. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks again!

Greg ZX6R

I would suggest trying both, but remember that it's easier to bring in a larger suit than to let out material from one that's too small. My experience with Pilot custom suits was unpleasant, as mentioned previously on the forum. In hindsight, I would have done what you are doing, i.e. bought one of their off the rack suits and had it altered for to fit.

bmart

Control Rider
You want to be able to move around and to be comfortable. A little bit of space will also let some air flow through. Tayana 42 off the rack and with the extra chest and back protector I order a 44 suit.

Jgelack

You want to be able to move around and to be comfortable. A little bit of space will also let some air flow through. Tayana 42 off the rack and with the extra chest and back protector I order a 44 suit.
So you wouldn't be too concerned about a little bit of extra fabric in the forearm and thigh area?

bmart

Control Rider
I would not. With Cordura, the armor rarely stays in place anyway, but more rigid leather usually holds armor in place in an incident. Baggy, no. Not tight and constricting, yes.

Jgelack

Thanks guys! I'm going to try the size 50, just for comparison sake, and if it's too tight I could always just go with the 52 and just have it altered if it really bothers me. Like I said, other than the thighs and the forearms (to a lesser degree) I felt the suit fit me well. Can you guys recommend a good shop that would do those kind of alterations?

MrFrzz

slow and wide
I am 6'1 and was about 265 last year. I had an AGVsport Podium size 50 and it fit well. I've learned that AGV isnt super proportionate in the arms compared to the chest/ gut area.... If you're still on the fence, you should really consider a custom suit. If you dont see a lot of weight fluctuations, they can be fairly cost effective... I lost about 50 lbs over the off season and went custom. right now its just about spot on.