HOW TO DOWNSHIFT INTO A TURN?

bonez245

I'm fairly new to track days. I don't have a quick shifter or slipper clutch so I blip throttle to rev match. so during the breaking zone do you grab break,then down shift? or down shift then break? If its break then down shift is there a proper way to rev match?also should the clutch be closed before leaning in the turn? ( by closed I mean not pulled in)

r6blondie

Staff member
Control Rider
There's alot to unwrap here, and will also change dramatically based on experience, riding style, bike, speed, typrs of turns, etc...
Generally, you want to get your downshifts done early to settle the bike(suspension) before turning in. When you are in the turn you dont want any changes to your geometry because it affects your tire contact patch. Your clutch lever can also be a "stabilizing tool". So if your downshift are abrupt, cause alot of engine braking and unsettle the bike, you can use the clutch level (modulating it open) to help control that unsettling (especially on a bike without a slipper clutch).

I would highly highly recommend doing our Advanced Training Program with AJ. You will have a full day of training and education and your learning curve will be greatly reduced just in one day.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What R6Blondie said! You'll learn a lot working with AJ!

Basically, though, when you're approaching a corner at speed, you will brake first, then downshift while still braking.
Sequence:
1. Close throttle to brakes (brake with fingertips on lever, creating a kind of arch, so when you blip the throttle while braking you won't be pulling the brake lever in)
2. Clutch lever in
3. Foot moves shifter to lower gear+
4. Blip - short rev
5. Clutch lever out (smoothly, don't dump it.)
6. Still trailbraking until happy with speed & direction

Blipping whilst braking takes practice! On that last downshift right before the corner, ease the clutch out, kind of trailbraking with the clutch.

But as Blondie said, the downshifting should be complete before the turn. That way, your body position is set, and you just need to lower your head to turn in (keep brakes on a bit past the tip-in).

Hope that helps. It's better working with someone and having them explain/demo!

Welcome!